Camping Gas Canisters

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
peregrino

Camping Gas Canisters

Post by peregrino »

hello,

I´m going to do the GB divide this year, and I need to take a fligth to London

Where can I buy Camping Gas Canisters or Primus on the way?

Do you think is possible to buy it on sunday in London?

Thanks in advance

Ricardo Mendes - Portugal
Jdsk

Re: Camping Gas Canisters

Post by Jdsk »

Yes.

Decathlon shops carry canisters and are open on Sundays.

What's your route in the UK to Land's End, please?

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 2 Jun 2022, 6:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

It depends on your arrival time. Most of the stores that would sell these close at 4.00pm.

Suggest
Cotswold Outdoors, 3 near central London
Decathlon, Ealing being closest
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Halfords
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

peregrino wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 11:39am hello,

Thanks in advance

# Why immediately on arrival?

# Your Aeroplane won’t be landing in London - well it’s unlikely - but rather at some large Airport that’s a reasonable distance away from London (London Heathrow is nearer to Windsor and Slough). So the question is which Airport and what are your immediate onward plans after arriving at the Airport?
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Also beware that a lot of UK gas cylinders are threaded rather than the CampinGaz bayonet fitting, so make sure you pick up the right ones #AskMeHowIKnow
peregrino

Post by peregrino »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 11:50am Yes.

Decathlon shops carry canisters and are open on Sundays.

What's your route in the UK to Land's End, please?

Jonathan
Hi Jonathan,
Thanks. I will do the GB divide

https://www.gbdivide.net/
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

Please tell us where you're landing and how you're getting to the start. We then should be able to give you better answers on shops.

Jonathan
peregrino

Post by peregrino »

Carlton green wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 6:44pm

Thanks in advance

# Your Aeroplane won’t be landing in London - well it’s unlikely - but rather at some large Airport that’s a reasonable distance away from London (London Heathrow is nearer to Windsor and Slough). So the question is which Airport and what are your immediate onward plans after arriving at the Airport?
You are right. I will arrive at Stansted airport at 9´clock pm. Than I will take the train to London
peregrino

Post by peregrino »

Jdsk wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 3:10pm Thanks.

Please tell us where you're landing and how you're getting to the start. We then should be able to give you better answers on shops.

Jonathan, I will arrive at Stansted airport at 9´clock pm on Saturday, than I will take the train to London. I will sleep near Cheshunt and in sunday I will take another train to Penzance

Maybe Decathlon in the centre is the best option
peregrino

Post by peregrino »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 4 Jun 2022, 8:16pm Also beware that a lot of UK gas cylinders are threaded rather than the CampinGaz bayonet fitting, so make sure you pick up the right ones #AskMeHowIKnow
I prefere Primus or someting like that
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

peregrino wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 3:10pm
Carlton green wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 6:44pm

Thanks in advance

You are right. I will arrive at Stansted airport at 9´clock pm. Than I will take the train to London
I suspect that you’ll be taking the train from Stansted to Cheshunt and getting off there for the night. When you arrive the shops will be shut. You’ll probably manage something in London but with Sunday trading restrictions that might not be the case. Camping gas is available in Penzance, but it is not a large place and I would still suggest that you check supply options before you travel. The train journey from London to Penzance is long, food and drink is usually available on such trains but it’s basic and not inexpensive, best to buy some supplies before you get onboard. I assume that you have checked out taking your bike on the train(s), I believe that bikes are not allowed on all services, etc.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

It seems like you will be cycling across London to get to Paddington Station for the Penzance train. If I were you I would seek out the Cotswold or Decathalon stores near to your route and buy you canister there. I know to a Cotswold near Covent Garden but there are others.

If you leave it to Penzance you may find all stockist are closed.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

There’s a decathlon on Kensington High St which isn’t that far from Paddington?
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

bikepacker wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 6:52pm If you leave it to Penzance you may find all stockist are closed.
The shop’s will be open Monday morning in Penzance, Google tells me that there’s a Millets (your best bet), a Mountain Warehouse and a Trespass store very near to the Train Station, there’s a Halfords too but say ten minutes ride away. Penzance also has a large Tescos for buying food from. If you stop off at a shop in London on the Sunday then be quick (inside of it) and lock your stuff up well.
peregrino wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 3:14pm
ratherbeintobago wrote: 4 Jun 2022, 8:16pm Also beware that a lot of UK gas cylinders are threaded rather than the CampinGaz bayonet fitting, so make sure you pick up the right ones #AskMeHowIKnow
I prefere Primus or someting like that
It might be a case of picking a stove that matches what the readily available fuel supply is …