Midge mesh for Saunders Space Packer

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
jimlews

Midge mesh for Saunders Space Packer

Post by jimlews »

I have a lovely Saunders Space Packer;
Almost the perfect tent.
Except that it doesn't have a mozzie/bug/midge screen.
Does anyone know of a company or individual I could contact with a view to getting one (actually two) fitted?
Jdsk

Re: Midge mesh for Saunders Space Packer

Post by Jdsk »

That's them measuring, supplying and fitting rather than them only supplying and you doing the rest?

Thanks

Jonathan
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

SMG are often recommended for such things
https://www.scottishmountaingear.com/re ... nt-repairs
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Jun 2022, 11:21am That's them measuring, supplying and fitting rather than them only supplying and you doing the rest?

Thanks

Jonathan
That would be for them to do the work.

Thanks for both replies esp. the link. I'll try that.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Two with good reputations:

SMG as above.

Lancashire Sports Repairs, but I don't know what they're taking in at the moment:
https://lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/t ... e-repairs/

Jonathan
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

jimlews wrote: 3 Jun 2022, 10:10am I have a lovely Saunders Space Packer;
Almost the perfect tent.
Does anyone know of a company or individual I could contact with a view to getting one (actually two) fitted?

The tent from Saunders was a great tent. It’s well outdated. I’m of the opinion that it should be retired.
Buy a new much improved wonderful quality modern tent.
Hilleberg. Robens. Terra Nova, Wild Country or any other lightweight beauty.
Enjoy modern quality!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

leftpoole wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 1:10pm
jimlews wrote: 3 Jun 2022, 10:10am I have a lovely Saunders Space Packer;
Almost the perfect tent.

The tent from Saunders was a great tent. It’s well outdated. I’m of the opinion that it should be retired.
Buy a new much improved wonderful quality modern tent.
Hilleberg. Robens. Terra Nova, Wild Country or any other lightweight beauty.
Enjoy modern quality!
I still have and use a Spacepacker. It's not so much other brands have left it behind as they've caught it up. I've finally stopped using it as a default solo walking tent as I use trekking poles and got a Hille Anaris, but that's no use on a bike.

In what way is a Spacepacker outdated?

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Pete,
It’s so difficult to erect. Inner droops. Cotton inner usually. Rubber pegging points. Ancient alloy pole. It’s just old.
New is always better with tents, in my opinion.
John
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I have one that I haven't used for years. I like the design, especially the 2 symmetrical ends. One storage and one living, but can just switch if wind changes.

However downside is the vast number of pegs needed. No problem in good ground but a problem if stony, etc, especially as my pegs are lightweight aluminium.

Nonetheless, a lovely lightweight tent, although just worked out it is about 30 years old.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

I just love it.
It's very versatile.
I've even used it outer only + groundsheet and bivi.
It may be old, but so am I; we suit each other.

But I've never been North of the Fourth.
I am led to believe that there is a whole country up there - and beasties. Hence the mesh.
And I'd like to try some Haggis stalking.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

leftpoole wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 2:15pm It’s so difficult to erect.
No it isn't. Assemble pole, push through sleeve, set eyelet, set other eyelet, peg extreme side points, fill in other pegging points, hang inner, peg inner. It's quick and easy to put up and as it goes up fly-first there's no silly games trying to keep the inner dry if/when it's raining. Taking it down you can get everything bar the fly packed inside in the dry and just stuff the fly in to a cranny as it packs down so well.
leftpoole wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 2:15pm Inner droops. Cotton inner usually. Rubber pegging points. Ancient alloy pole. It’s just old.
Yes it has a droopy inner. Hey ho, while that may be a deal breaker for some it's a layout thing and not "outdated", and tunnel tents tend to have them too. My dad's Plus has a cotton inner, both the SPs I've had had nylon inners (first one went in a burglary, there was nothing wrong with it), I can think of at least 3 others owned by friends that had nylon inners. It was a choice at purchase (as were mesh panels, as it happens), so again not "outdated".
The rubber pegging points work fine. How are these "outdated"? If you don't like them take them off and replace with your choice of pegging points for a few pounds. Hardly worth a new tent.
Alloy poles are ancient and outdated? As opposed to the alloy poles used in almost every other serious lightweight tent going? Sorry, that just doesn't make any sense. Does it do the job? If so does it matter that it's old?

"It's just old" would also go for the Trangia stove: when something is right it doesn't need to be changed. I've had my Trangia for well over 30 years, it's not very different to a new one. The Hilleberg Akto is well over 25 years old now and hasn't really had any significant design changes in all that time, because it's still a reference quality tent (with a slightly droopy inner and an alloy pole...)
leftpoole wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 2:15pm New is always better with tents, in my opinion.
Better is always about context. And part of the context here is the OP already has something they like, so why spend several hundred pounds on something they don't like any more?

I can understand people not liking the Spacepacker due to it's particular layout and particularly the inner-in-your-face lying down on your back, but that's a compromise some of us are happy to live with in return for a good mix of light weight, strong fabrics, very big twin porches, 4 doors, amazing through venting in summer and able to take a serious blow. There's not much else out there that does quite the same.

"New is always better" is ridiculous. My Hille Tarra is about 20 years old. If I want something to take a real hammering would e.g. a Wild Country Hoolie really be "better" because I'd bought it last week? How would that work?

Pete.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Pete!
You just do not get the point I made, or indeed tried to make. I have a sister very much like you. She actually told me once, that she is always correct! Devour that if you will...
Saunders tents are now very old. By now degradation will have at the very least, started. Those rubber peg fixing points, that old very old poor quality alloy pole, the poor quality (by modern standard) inner and indeed outer along with the old pegs. All is now old and a more modern , in fact I should hazard a guess that virtually any cheap modern tent would be far better in use than an old Spacepacker.
I know, I had one, new! From Spa Cycles years ago before I learnt about tents progress.
Yes Akto etc are old DESIGNS, but I am trying to say the 'particular' tent is now old.
Blacks Good Companion tents were once upon a time great, but surely even you who gnaw away at other peoples comments can see the point of my comments?
Or maybe you cannot!
All comments are of a personal opinion and not intended to cause harm, alarm or indeed anything else! lol
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

leftpoole wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 10:27am Saunders tents are now very old. By now degradation will have at the very least, started. Those rubber peg fixing points, that old very old poor quality alloy pole, the poor quality (by modern standard) inner and indeed outer along with the old pegs.
I'm not looking for another lightweight tent at the moment, but I'm always interested in improvements.

And the main reason that I'm not looking for another is that our 1979 Robert Saunders Base-Packer 2 is still doing the job. It's had a few minor repairs, and one big one when someone put a bike through the outer, but its general condition is excellent.

Jonathan
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

leftpoole wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 10:27am
Saunders tents are now very old. By now degradation will have at the very least, started.
But a well looked after siliconised-both-sides fly will last a very long time, and still be stronger than a lot of hot-of-the-factory-floor PU coated ones. Yes, it'll be weaker than the day it was made and if it's been very heavily used it will at some point die, but if it's strong enough that's a moot point. I would happily bet money that the tear strength of my Spacepacker's fly is better than anything much new with a PU coated fly.
leftpoole wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 10:27am Those rubber peg fixing points, that old very old poor quality alloy pole, the poor quality (by modern standard) inner and indeed outer along with the old pegs. All is now old and a more modern , in fact I should hazard a guess that virtually any cheap modern tent would be far better in use than an old Spacepacker.
If the rubber has perished a few quid on shock-cord and you can replace them (just like I replaced the guys as the originals were terrible from new).
The "very poor quality pole" has seen me through gale force winds and is still fine, so I don't think it's that poor. Yes, it has crimped connectors rather than e.g. full extrusions, but as the whole thing is greater diameter than just about anything shy of Hille Black Label it's still strong. Pegs are very easy to replace, and while it uses more than many tents that helps it ride out storms more, because it's harder for sustained winds to pull out more pegs than fewer pegs.
leftpoole wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 10:27am I know, I had one, new! From Spa Cycles years ago before I learnt about tents progress.
Yes Akto etc are old DESIGNS, but I am trying to say the 'particular' tent is now old.
Yes, I see that. Mine is now old. But the fly is still almost certainly stronger than new PU coated flys, the pole still stands up to serious winds. So new will not necessarily be better. I am a gear junkie. I have few reservations about buying new tents. I bought a new tent last year (Hille Anaris). I haven't replaced the Spacepacker in 25 years because it's still perfectly good for what I bought it for, both its design and the particular physical condition of the example I have.
I can't comment on the condition of the OP's, of course... but nor can you, but you've assumed they'll surely be better off with anything newer, and that really doesn't stand up.
leftpoole wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 10:27am Blacks Good Companion tents were once upon a time great, but surely even you who gnaw away at other peoples comments can see the point of my comments?
Or maybe you cannot!
All comments are of a personal opinion and not intended to cause harm, alarm or indeed anything else! lol
A Good Companion was cotton canvas so weighed a tonne and took up quite a bit of space. A Spacepacker weighs under 2 Kg and stuff that you can get lighter is either smaller or thinner or both, neither of which are objectively desirable.

I get that you don't like it and yours is probably knackered, but you don't seem to get that any given specimen isn't objectively "outdated".

Pete.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

How about using your old Saunders every camp now until this time next year. All weekends, all weathers all year round. 26 weekends.

It is like saying any bicycle can take on the World. Yes any can, but it is much easier, much more pleasant and more free of breakdown to use for example a Thorn with a Rohloff..
Will you agree to my point?
Last edited by leftpoole on 24 Jun 2022, 3:45pm, edited 1 time in total.