NCN 65/62 (York - Conisbrough) surface

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sidlaws

NCN 65/62 (York - Conisbrough) surface

Post by Sidlaws »

Can anyone advise from experience on the surfaces of the off-road sections of the York to Conisbrough portions of NCN routes 65 and 62?
I'm thinking of cycling this on my Brompton as part of a trip south (train to York, then bike), but I don't particularly enjoy non-mettled surfaces on the Brom.

Thanks,

N.
foxyrider

Re: NCN 65/62 (York - Conisbrough) surface

Post by foxyrider »

From York to Selby is mostly tarmac, bit of dirt around the end of the race course but you can miss that by joining the route at Bishopsthorpe rather than the race course, but be aware there are diversions/closures along this stretch cyrrently as Sustrans are refurbushing access points and damaged surfaces.

From Selby to Doncaster uses mostly quiet-ish lanes, last time i was in that area they were mostly tar and chip. Of course the towpath is unsurfaced but easily rideable and if i recall correctly the Topham link is a semi surfaced field lane.

I must admit its been several years since i did the Doncaster to Conisbrough bit, at that time once you left Doncaster the surface varied from well trodden dirt to stone chippings with just a short bit of tarmac at the southern end. I don't think theres anything you'd struggle with too much, i did it on a road bike with 23c tyres.

If you prefer you can use lanes from Doncaster to Conisbrough that are fairly quiet, go via Sprotborough, Cadeby to Denaby then loop down to Conisbrough.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Sidlaws

Re: NCN 65/62 (York - Conisbrough) surface

Post by Sidlaws »

Thank you kindly foxyrider... a lot of useful information therein!

Best,

N.