COVID recovery time

rjb

Re: COVID recovery time

Post by rjb »

thirdcrank wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 6:53am I've not tested positive, but then I've never been tested. IIRC my temperature was normal when I had my first jab. I've tried to follow all the rules/ regulations/ guidance which meant getting out less. In the last couple of years I feel as though I've aged twenty. I feel constantly tired in spite of getting plenty of sleep. Senses of taste and smell seem unaffected.
This echos my experience of the last couple of years. I've never had a lft + ve
I am 70 but feel like I have aged 20 years. The last couple of years have been very stressful as Mrs Rjb was diagnosed with cancer at the start of the pandemic and she's still very vulnerable and still having treatment. She's going for jab no 6 shortly. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I really don't know. I really have tried to be scrupulous about things like social distancing and things like schools being closed to visitors when they weren't completely closed reduced my direct contact with normal sources infection. One of our daughters-in-law works in a heath centre and has had positive tests but is scrupulous about isolation. Our grandchildren have had various positives - either individually or as a result of a whole contact group being sent home but have kept away from us.

I've had all the jabs offered - now four - in a timely manner. (+ 75 cohort)

I've not had any episodes when I've thought I had it, although there seem to be so many possible symptoms that's not saying much.

In the absence of a diagnosis I presume I've been uninfected, and the lethargy etc is an effect of much less exercise. I've never been a fast walker but I used to be able to speed up if necessary.

It's the experiences of others that caused me to post. BTW, I don't initiate much contact with the NHS but I attend for all tests etc when contacted
===========================================
rjb

You have my best wishes with this. Re stress, I've had nothing really to fret about. I had a bad time worrying over nothing about four years ago but nothing during the epidemic. In particular, we've had no covid-related bereavement, in spite of our circle of friends largely being our age or older.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

I would come to the same conclusion about infection.

How about talking to your GP about feeling tired all the time?

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I may get a round tuit.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

To reassure the OP slightly: many people do seem to ‘bounce back’ almost immediately.

One of my pals is in his early 70s and he experienced “a bit of a cold” when he had it, and was back completely to normal inside ten days.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There does seem to be a broad range of results. I've probably posted before that in the early days of the pandemic a neighbour of a similar age to me was admitted to hospital and he was so poorly that he was being offered the last rites. He was injected with what we now call a cocktail of drugs and recovered so quickly that he was bundled out to make room for others. When I saw him shortly afterwards I didn't know he's been in hospital because it had all been so quick. He was so fully recovered he was explaining that he'd had the same medication as Donald Trump but joking he'd not turned orange. Not all bad news by any means and I think with a couple of years experience, treatments are being improved even more.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 10:05amNot all bad news by any means and I think with a couple of years experience, treatments are being improved even more.
The accumulating professional experience has probably improved outcomes. The research and development around what treatments work certainly has. And the outstanding programme has been the RECOVERY Trial:
https://www.recoverytrial.net

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I managed to avoid getting covid for 2 years. Then, Mr. V brought it back from the UK when he went to visit his parents. Despite being up-to-date on vaccinations (3 for my age group), I was moderately poorly with it. And more than 3 weeks later, I still have a bit more catarrh than usual.

I still have not regained all of my energy, and have to be pretty careful about exertion. I have been walking a little each day, increasing amounts gradually, but my ability has been somewhat variable, and my pace is much lower than before.

I use a folding bike to get to and from train stations for my commute. I was back in the office for the first time Thursday & Friday (worked from home when I resumed working), and even though I gave myself plenty of time & took it easy, my legs felt like noodles after about 500 metres. I was careful not to work too hard, though and it went ok.

I still need more sleep than I needed pre-covid. My normal was about 7 hours per night, and I currently need at least 8, and sometimes I wake up feeling like that wasn't enough.

Covid has also left me with tinnitus that I hope will go away, but if it's still there next week, I will see my GP.

Sunday, I had a walk in the mountains planned (since March). I stayed overnight, and slept well for 9 hours on Saturday night, so I thought I would give it a go.

After only about 1/2 mile at an easy pace (though with some increase in elevation), I could tell I wasn't going to be able to do the whole thing, even though we'd only planned about 5.5 - 6 miles.

I told my friends to carry on & I went back to the hotel. Downhill was rather easier, but I still felt slightly ill when I got back.

I've been gradually increasing the amount of exercise, but I cannot do anything like normal for me yet. I hope I don't have to go the whole summer like this, but it seems possible, even likely, at this point.

I know several people who've had relapses because they overdid exercise a few weeks into recovery, so I am being careful about it, but it is so, so slow and frustrating.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That sounds very rough.

I hope that you’re better soon.

Jonathan
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Nearholmer wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 9:19am To reassure the OP slightly: many people do seem to ‘bounce back’ almost immediately.

One of my pals is in his early 70s and he experienced “a bit of a cold” when he had it, and was back completely to normal inside ten days.
Thanks folks.
Really appreciate you all sharing your experiences.

I appear to have made a 100% recovery in little over a week. Having had all X3 vaccinations when they were available.

I managed 50+ miles yesterday albeit with frequent stops. Not out to prove anything. That's my usual 3 or four times a week regime.

Yes, agreed, don't rush it. Go slow on the road to recovery.

Stay safe folks

Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for the update.

Happy cycling

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Has a moderator merged threads oddly here? Page 1 just showed up as unread and it includes a post of mine, and I do generally read those!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

mjr wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 6:09pm Has a moderator merged threads oddly here? Page 1 just showed up as unread and it includes a post of mine, and I do generally read those!
I think you are correct.
I thought I was the original poster.

Not that I'm worried or wanting to make a thing out of it.

Again, thanks for all the opinions.
Very comforting.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I merged two similar threads. Sorry, I forgot to post a notice in the thread. :oops:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I still feel great and just back from pushing hard up those Manx hills that seem to go on forever. Grateful for good health at nearly 60. Covid in March but felt even better after than before.
I am here. Where are you?