Campsite near Belfast, heading south

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
in4time

Campsite near Belfast, heading south

Post by in4time »

Anyone recommend a site near Belfast. I’m coming off the Liverpool ferry so somewhere within a couple of hours cycling would be great. Thanks.
Cowsham

Re: Campsite near Belfast, heading south

Post by Cowsham »

in4time wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 10:26pm Anyone recommend a site near Belfast. I’m coming off the Liverpool ferry so somewhere within a couple of hours cycling would be great. Thanks.
What time of day do you land ?
I am here. Where are you?
in4time

Post by in4time »

😊 thanks for replying. Arrive either 06.30 am or 18.30 pm depending upon availability on ferry.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Traffic is very busy and roads fast around the docks so --

If Liverpool ferry you can cycle up to the Yorkgate train station via the internal roads in the docks ie take Seal rd then herdman channel rd then northern rd then Pollock rd ( that's all one road BTW ) take a right at the wee roundabout and head up to dock St ( or you can go around Corry rd if too much traffic ) and cross over to Yorkgate train station at the lights and get yourself out of Belfast and the traffic -- the docks side will take you south so you may need to go up the lift and across with the bike and gear ( I can get all my kit with bike into the lift by lifting the front wheel up high )
( bikes not allowed on before 9.30am so you can hang around in KFC or the retail park till you're allowed on ) it'll be after 7 before you're off the boat anyway.
in4time

Post by in4time »

Thanks for the fantastic advice. I really appreciate it.

I intend exit Belfast as quickly and easily as possible so a timely stop and drink before setting off sounds like the best option.

Thanks again.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

No probs
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

in4time wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 11:00am 😊 thanks for replying. Arrive either 06.30 am or 18.30 pm depending upon availability on ferry.
if you can get the overnight sailing and a cabin it'd set you up for the day, cycling south from Belfast Port check out NCN 93, that heads into Belfast City centre, keep on south along the Lagan on NCN 9, which will keep you traffic free for quite a way, the Newry Canal is also a quiet route.

For a camp site near this route try Gosford Park
https://getactiveabc.com/facility/gosfo ... vancamping

any qs give us a shout.

cheers,

Keith
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Traction_man wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 11:11pm
in4time wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 11:00am 😊 thanks for replying. Arrive either 06.30 am or 18.30 pm depending upon availability on ferry.
if you can get the overnight sailing and a cabin it'd set you up for the day, cycling south from Belfast Port check out NCN 93, that heads into Belfast City centre, keep on south along the Lagan on NCN 9, which will keep you traffic free for quite a way, the Newry Canal is also a quiet route.

For a camp site near this route try Gosford Park
https://getactiveabc.com/facility/gosfo ... vancamping

any qs give us a shout.

cheers,

Keith
Right enough there's a cycle path down the side of the Lagan -- if you use Google maps set to cycling you can get to Lisburn using the towpath then go left from there onto the Ballynahinch rd that will take you to Lakeside view campsite all doable inside 2 hours especially when you take those short cuts inside the docks complex I mentioned earlier -- this way you wouldn't need the train and get to a good campsite too.

I don't live in that area so maybe Kieth can elaborate on the journey --
in4time

Post by in4time »

Just a follow up post.
Birkenhead-Belfast Ferry overnight. Fine. Unless you book a cabin get on board asap and grab yourself a ‘long seat’ to sleep on.

Your bike is placed in a secure van for the voyage. Mine weighed a lot so I put it in the van myself.

Once off the ferry in Belfast ride to the Yorkgate station. Then, it’s your choice. I went west to Derry. I travelled at the weekend so no restrictions. In the week it’s after 09.30. Train was great and at €14.00 great value.

Currently following a hybrid Wild Atlantic Way down the west coast.

Hit Letterkenny at Rally time. Utterly surreal experience!

Quite expensive here and campsites are geared up for caravans and RVs not small one/two person tents.

Galway beckons but without Mr Sheehan’s
muses😉
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

in4time wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 5:12pm Just a follow up post.
Birkenhead-Belfast Ferry overnight. Fine. Unless you book a cabin get on board asap and grab yourself a ‘long seat’ to sleep on.

Your bike is placed in a secure van for the voyage. Mine weighed a lot so I put it in the van myself.

Once off the ferry in Belfast ride to the Yorkgate station. Then, it’s your choice. I went west to Derry. I travelled at the weekend so no restrictions. In the week it’s after 09.30. Train was great and at €14.00 great value.

Currently following a hybrid Wild Atlantic Way down the west coast.

Hit Letterkenny at Rally time. Utterly surreal experience!

Quite expensive here and campsites are geared up for caravans and RVs not small one/two person tents.

Galway beckons but without Mr Sheehan’s
muses😉
-- good to hear you got over OK --

Was there no option to just ride onto the boat -- did it cost anymore than foot passenger fee?
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

1 With the previous pair of boats there was a 6 bike trailer(hitched to a luggage trailer) for cyclists 'bikes, who then boarded by bus as foot passengers although a few years ago I did meet one guy who'ed just cycled off the same ferry (but me using trailer) so perhaps it depended very slightly on who wore the yellow bib.

I wonder if the trailer is missing and replaced by van due to the current footpassenger/cyclist checkin at the cairnryan terminal requiring the use of public roads while the liverpool one gets rebuilt. I am not sure what happens if 6 cyclists turn up as the van would then be full?

2 Yes you have to pay a small suplement for an unfolded bicycle.

Edit 3 currently when travelling from liverpool to belfast terminal you collect your bike/ luggage st a temporary 'shed/shelter' near the inprogress new 'ferry for liverpool' terminal, there is no need to go to the (for)cairnryan terminal although the shuttle bus will take you.
Last edited by SA_SA_SA on 5 Jul 2022, 11:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Good to know -- haven't used that ferry in a few years now.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Earlier this year I camped at the Dundonald campsite, in the western suburbs of Belfast but in a leafy situation. Cycling from the ferry terminal wasn't too difficult. Into the city centre had cycle lanes and paths. Then out from the city centre was mainly on mixed use roads.
It's council owned and run. Good facilities and value. I booked on line and was given a code for the gate and the amenities. There's a separate patch for tents. Onward access to southerly routes is straightforward. I'd use it again.

https://www.dundonaldcaravanpark.com
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Geoff.D wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 9:15pm Earlier this year I camped at the Dundonald campsite, in the western suburbs of Belfast but in a leafy situation. Cycling from the ferry terminal wasn't too difficult. Into the city centre had cycle lanes and paths. Then out from the city centre was mainly on mixed use roads.
It's council owned and run. Good facilities and value. I booked on line and was given a code for the gate and the amenities. There's a separate patch for tents. Onward access to southerly routes is straightforward. I'd use it again.

https://www.dundonaldcaravanpark.com
A handy location, just off the Comber Greenway (NCN 99), so traffic-free cycling out from central Belfast (and also via NCN 93 from Belfast port), note though Dundonald is in the city's eastern suburbs, not west--https://goo.gl/maps/p4HbsjKkZmbf1iq98

all the best,

Keith
ncn.jpg
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Traction_man wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 10:37pm
Geoff.D wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 9:15pm Earlier this year I camped at the Dundonald campsite, in the western suburbs of Belfast.....
A handy location, just off the Comber Greenway (NCN 99), so traffic-free cycling out from central Belfast (and also via NCN 93 from Belfast port), note though Dundonald is in the city's eastern suburbs, not west--https://goo.gl/maps/p4HbsjKkZmbf1iq98

all the best,

Keith
I'm embarrassed.
Of course it's in the eastern suburbs, Keith. Thanks for the correction.
I don't know why I made such a mistake ........ unless I'm further along the road to dotage than I'd care to admit !!