Train routes

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
nosmarbaj

Re: Train routes

Post by nosmarbaj »

bobsmith26 wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 5:39pm I am planning on taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station and then catching the train from there to Penzance.

Are there any problems about taking your bike in a bike case onto the Heathrow Express? Are there any times you should avoid?
Be aware that Great Western Railway, who operate the London-Penzance trains, specify a maximum size of 25x40x70 cm for any piece of luggage. A quick Google sggests most/all bike boxes are larger in at least one dimension (most wheels alone are around 70 cm diameter when tyres are fitted).

I have no personal experience of whether/how strictly this is enforced.

You can of course take an unboxed bicycle on their trains, if booked.
AlanInBangor

Post by AlanInBangor »

Sparky56 wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 6:06pmGreat Western Railway is what you need to look at. & if by some kind of magic you can get yourself to Bristol/Cardiff there’s a service from Cardiff to Penzance that doesn’t require bike reservations, you can just put them in the guards van like in the old days
Sadly, the Castle Class HSTs are being progressively withdrawn. https://www.modernrailways.com/article/ ... ember-2023
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

AlanInBangor wrote: 18 Apr 2023, 8:44am
Sparky56 wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 6:06pmGreat Western Railway is what you need to look at. & if by some kind of magic you can get yourself to Bristol/Cardiff there’s a service from Cardiff to Penzance that doesn’t require bike reservations, you can just put them in the guards van like in the old days
Sadly, the Castle Class HSTs are being progressively withdrawn. https://www.modernrailways.com/article/ ... ember-2023
yes, very sad.

I spoke with one of the drivers - he told me that they were the most fun trains to drive as “he never knew what it would do” !