What Are People Doing For Bike Security?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dingdong

Re: What Are People Doing For Bike Security?

Post by Dingdong »

If I'm out casual shopping I'll either leave my bike where I can see it, or more likely take it inside the shop. The people in the local Tesco know me now, and they know I like to keep an eye on my moderately expensive bike. If heading into the city I take a venerable 1995 Marin Pallisades, which although very roadworthy, I would not give a toss if anyone were daft enough to nick it. I would take a pound store cable lock, just to be polite. You might get a tenner for it at market. It's held together by dirt and grease and the odd tie-wrap, so good luck with that!
keefwaddo

Post by keefwaddo »

Just as a point of reference: I live in Tokyo and our bikes are outside the garden on the street and never locked. When I take a train I lock the bike in some bike parking place. Once had the light stolen. When we tour in Japan we hardly ever lock the bikes even if we go off hiking for a few hours.

Living in Japan has it's serious negatives, though lack of petty crime is very nice.
Aikon

What Are People Doing For Bike Security?

Post by Aikon »

Depends on the bike & length of time I’m leaving it;
MTB or road bike I use a pocket sized anti snatch lock, it’s usually only outside a cafe where I can see it and it’s with other bikes that generally are not locked.

The commuter ebike I use a Sold Secure Gold chain, and a Sold Secure alarmed folding lock, with the coded head unit removed, it’s rarely left for more than 90 minutes and always in a highly trafficked public place.

For longer stays I have a ‘pub bike’, an old steel MTB with a frame lock on the seat stays & a chain that plugs in, plus the alarmed folding lock.

And they’re all insured

Edit: at home they’re in an alarmed & Sold Secure motorbike storage thingy, locked down to Sold Secure anchor points!
lettersquash

Post by lettersquash »

Jules59 wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 10:10pm Can you get movement triggered sirens for bikes - like really loud ?
I've just ordered one, pretty cheap on eBay. My security needs will vary so I'll use other stuff as well. I'm hoping the alarm unit will fit under the saddle, and I'll protect it from well-aimed hammer blows from below with a metal plate, one way somone could quickly disarm it. It has a small remote for setting it, which can also go on the handlebars and give a horn sound from the unit when riding. Alone it might be enough to nip into the Co-op for milk, and I don't think many thieves would bother trying to cut even a light chain or cable if the bike starts howling in public and they've got to ride it away doing that (although there are few limits to desperation and stupidity where some are concerned). Pictures show it cable-tied to a frame, but if someone knows how they work it would be easy to clip one tie, wait for 10 seconds after the warning blip, cut the other and chuck it, then ride off...or smash it with one blow. Hidden under the seat it's more likely to take a potential thief by surprise if he starts messing with the bike.

I didn't think it was worth getting one that sends texts to your phone without also having some sophisticated tracking, and that would be overkill for my cheap bike. I either want to be in earshot in the hope of stopping the theft, or hope the commotion will be sufficient deterrent if I'm not.

Bike security is indeed a pain, and this solution is my way to avoid adding a kilo or more to my ride. I'm thinking of making a wearable chain, just buying a length of suitable steel chain and decent padlock and pulling it through an old inner tube or hose to keep it off the paintwork. I've done this with one I had already, but I might go a bit bigger with it. A decent length can go twice round my waist when riding, and lock frame and both wheels to street furniture.

I'm also a great believer in the disguise-as-old-wreck method, although in my case it's not really a disguise. :lol:

Edited to add: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203591868537
Having said that, these are selling fast and I've already had two notifications from sellers that they ran out of stock after I ordered, one refunded, the other supposedly refunded but also notification that it's being sent, so I don't know where I am with it! And quality may vary but many good reviews on Amazon, which I don't buy from. I've no idea how loud 113dB is.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

lettersquash wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 7:51pm ...
I didn't think it was worth getting one that sends texts to your phone without also having some sophisticated tracking, and that would be overkill for my cheap bike. I either want to be in earshot in the hope of stopping the theft, or hope the commotion will be sufficient deterrent if I'm not.
I had one of those for a bit (a "high end" one). I was not after the tracking as is was carried miles away but wanted the SMS text notifications for when moderately close but outside hearing the alarm range.

I was very keen for it to work so as shortcomings emerged was in correspondence with the company to try and resolve them.

I ended-up sending it back for refund.

I wrote a report about my experience/findings https://psamathe.net/alterlock-cycle-security-review/.

Ian
lettersquash

Post by lettersquash »

I got my alarm - third try on eBay arrived fine after two were sold out - and I have to say it's definitely worth the money. The main unit feels pretty robust and it's a decent volume. I squeezed it in between the saddle and rails with just enough room to get the top of the clamp on, then fashioned a curved aluminium bar under it to stop blows from below. I'll put some photos up later.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

This is helpful. What are peoples approaches to touring bikes? I’ve always taken the make it look ratty and use a basic lock to deter approach but also I really only leave it outside supermarkets etc. But I've now got a new to me thorn raven which looks a lot less scruffy than my old bike although I’m sure it isn’t a style that’s super tempting to thieves.

I will no doubt gradually introduce some scruff to it. Looking at actually insuring this one when on tour and the insurance wants a gold or silver something or other lock. That’s fine but I also want something I can carry without adding too much weight (what’s the lightest of the gold/silver locks?) and am happy to add a couple of other discrete measures too. I have one of the siren type locks although I only bother with it in camping trips usually. Is it worth putting a tracker on it? If using a registration scheme which one is the recommended one?

NB first tour is rural France so it doesn’t need the inner city approach- it will still mostly be supermarkets/boulangeries in quiet rural towns, left in clear view etc. I’ll be keeping my current bike for home trips like popping to the shops etc.
irc

Post by irc »

I,m thinking of one of these for touring. More secutity than a cable. Easier to use in more situations than a D lock. 440g or a bit more for the longer version

https://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/abu ... 55-review/
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

MrsHJ wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 10:30am This is helpful. What are peoples approaches to touring bikes? I’ve always taken the make it look ratty and use a basic lock to deter approach but also I really only leave it outside supermarkets etc. But I've now got a new to me thorn raven which looks a lot less scruffy than my old bike although I’m sure it isn’t a style that’s super tempting to thieves.

I will no doubt gradually introduce some scruff to it. Looking at actually insuring this one when on tour and the insurance wants a gold or silver something or other lock. That’s fine but I also want something I can carry without adding too much weight (what’s the lightest of the gold/silver locks?) and am happy to add a couple of other discrete measures too. I have one of the siren type locks although I only bother with it in camping trips usually. Is it worth putting a tracker on it? If using a registration scheme which one is the recommended one?

NB first tour is rural France so it doesn’t need the inner city approach- it will still mostly be supermarkets/boulangeries in quiet rural towns, left in clear view etc. I’ll be keeping my current bike for home trips like popping to the shops etc.
All my touring has been camping. In France outside rural village boulangeries I tend to just leave the bike outside (don't bother with security). I suspect I'm "being unwise".

Left and overnight at campsites I use a 2m (8mm diam) cable with a padlock (mine https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N9DZ0PK). It isn't gold or silver because of the padlock (any old decent padlock). Being 2m it's long enough to eye-through-eye round tree and eye-through-eye round bike or lamppost and both wheels and frame. In DE, BE & NL I do lock the bike when in supermarkets (though leave panniers on and they are easily stolen but probably of little value to a thief).

My valuables (camera, passport, wallet, etc.) are all in bar bag which I always carry with me (even into sanitary block camping).

Re: trackers: think about what it would do for you. I've posted a link to my review of one I tested up-thread. However, touring in Europe are you going to have any more success getting the local gendarmes to set-off in hot pursuit than you'd have in the UK? I tried one because of the longer range alarm (i.e. not only audible near bike but text message when further from bike which might give you time to rush out of the supermarket and confront the thief if the locks have caused enough delay. But the one I tested didn't achieve that function (or any useful function beyond an alarm sound) so was returned.

On my bent I do have a movement detector alarm. Mine is an Abus AlarmBox. It's good and loud, sensitive enough, very solid, etc. but also some would consider it heavy (when laden touring it's not that heavy). I've not been touring on the bent yet. Part of what I'm looking for with it is the initial warning beeps stopping inquisitive people e.g. sitting in it "because it's unusual ..." (sides of carbon hardshell seat can apparently be broken off if people push themselves up in the sides as it's not designed for that).

I wouldn't suggest what I'm doing is particularly good or based on solid reasoning. Just a compromise I've reached.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 12:09pm Left and overnight at campsites I use a 2m (8mm diam) cable with a padlock (mine https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N9DZ0PK). It isn't gold or silver because of the padlock (any old decent padlock).
It also isn't gold or silver because it's a cable and a relatively thin and unstructured one at that. IIRC at least 12mm hardened steel rod or equivalent is meant to be needed for silver. A 12mm tough cable might squeak a bronze.

I use 16mm D through back wheel, frame and stand, with an alarmed 12mm structured cable through front, frame and stand. I've got them for shopping and the 1.3kg total weight is a smaller % of touring weight so might as well take them unless really confident every stop had great parking.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
slowster

Post by slowster »

MrsHJ wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 10:30am Looking at actually insuring this one when on tour and the insurance wants a gold or silver something or other lock. That’s fine but I also want something I can carry without adding too much weight (what’s the lightest of the gold/silver locks?)
I suggest you check the insurer's wording carefully to see exactly what they require. I presume they require the lock to secure to bike to 'something', and they may try to define that 'something' quite precisely because they want it to be sufficiently substantial and fixed in place that the 'something' is ideally no less strong than the lock itself.

I have a number of Abus locks of varying levels of security, and am not familiar with other brands' models. If you were looking at Abus, I would suggest you consider the Ultra Mini 410/150HB140. It is Sold Secure Silver (link to Sold Secure Catalogue below), and weighs 755g. The low weight comes at the price of a shackle which is only 140mm long. That is long enough to fasten the top tube to a sheffield stand, but it limits scope to secure the bike to a lot of other street furniture. I have an Abus 420 lock with the same dimensions, and I can only lock the top tube to railings if I thread the flat handlebar grip through one of the gaps in the railings in order to bring the top tube close enough to the railings. The Abus 410 is also available with 230mm and 300mm shackles (which I think are probably wider as well), but they weigh significantly more: 1kg and 1.1kg respectively.

The Abus Bordo folding locks are convenient and have a small pack size, but only the 6400/6500 series models are Gold/Silver rated and they weigh upwards of 1.7kg.

https://mobil.abus.com/int/on-road/Lock ... green-SH34

https://mobil.abus.com/int/on-road/Lock ... 4?type=pdp

https://www.soldsecure.com/files/downlo ... 202022.pdf - Ultra Mini 410/150HB140 is on page 72, and the 230mm and 300mm versions are on page 69.

Merlin are selling the 410 (they don't specify, but the image is of the 140mm shackle, not the longer shackles) for £20. Wiggle for £28 including a cable as well.

https://www.merlincycles.com/abus-ultra ... 9732.html?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-ultra-410 ... able-140mm

NB Checking my own Abus 420 Mini, I see that according to Sold Secure's Catalogue it has a Bronze classification. However, the longer shackle version is Gold. That does not make sense to me, because all other things being equal longer shackles are usually a potential weakness because they provide more scope/space to insert a large lever (scaffold pole or whatever) in the shackle. The entry for the 420 Mini found using the search function of Sold Secure's website states that it is indeed Gold rated. I point this out because:

a) It is not unusual for industry accreditation/classification bodies to be careless about keeping their websites and publications accurate and up to date, so I would download/take a screenshot for my records of whatever lock you buy, so that you can prove to your insurers that it was Gold or Silver when you bought it.

b) There is a 180mm version of the 410 weighing 780g. It is not listed on Sold Secure's website/catalogue, but Abus show it as Sold Secure Silver on their website (so screenshot that). The extra 40mm shackle length for just a 25g weight penalty over the 140mm would probably make it my preferred choice.

https://mobil.abus.com/int/on-road/Lock ... green-SH34
elmo

Post by elmo »

Call me over the top but I have three locks. A kryptonite padlock and chain for the main security, a cable lock for the saddle which I run through the frame and an alarmed cable lock I run through the front wheel and frame. Sometimes all three will manage to fit around what I am locking the bike to.
The kryptonite weighs one stone. Last week I took delivery of a new smaller kryptonite chain system which is alot lighter but also alot smaller. It is therefore only good for locking the top tube against a railing. It is not good for the bike racks that have wheel holders and take the bike lengthways as opposed to side-on.

Elmo
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Suspect identified in only one in 10 bicycle theft cases in England and Wales":
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -and-wales

Recent statistics. No surprises.

Happy New Year

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Jan 2023, 10:56am "Suspect identified in only one in 10 bicycle theft cases in England and Wales":

Happy New Year

Jonathan
Is that all bike theft? Over half are stolen from the home.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

PH wrote: 2 Jan 2023, 11:13am
Jdsk wrote: 2 Jan 2023, 10:56am "Suspect identified in only one in 10 bicycle theft cases in England and Wales":

Happy New Year

Jonathan
Is that all bike theft? Over half are stolen from the home.
With "theft" of pedal cycle stats, I'd need some reassurance that a commentator had at least a clue what they were talking about. At it's simplest, if somebody is caught quickly, then it's likely to be a summary offence (max fine of level three - £1K IIRC) under s 12 (5) Theft Act 1968.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/12

(I've posted about this before at some length.)