What Are People Doing For Bike Security?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk

Re: What Are People Doing For Bike Security?

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 8 Jan 2023, 1:41pm
Jdsk wrote: 8 Jan 2023, 12:56pm
thirdcrank wrote: 8 Jan 2023, 12:54pm
At the risk of provoking more scorn, I'll suggest that this latest article is not data-based. IMO it's anecdotal, without even following a consistent theme
There's a report somewhere from the Liberal Democrats.
I think I've followed all the links within the linked articles and I've found nothing linking directly to anything from the LibDems making any sort of analysis of bike theft. The link in the latest article seems only to take me back to the first. I suspect that subeditors may not be so robust in checking out these things as was once the case.
These articles discuss the data from from June 2021 to July 2022.

Presumably you've found the analysis by the Liberal Democrats for 2017 to 2021? I expect that the methodology will be the same.

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Jan 2023, 11:25am "How can Britain ever embrace cycling if our bikes keep getting stolen?":
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... heft-crime
Jonathan
I wonder if the author has any idea how they've managed in other countries? They seem to have embraced cycling in Amsterdam where bike theft is common. It isn't the right question to ask.
I don't even know how common it is. I'm out nearly every day, my bike is usually locked at least once a day out of my sight, I haven't had a bike stolen in 18 years. Though I have had one vandalised and one attempted snatch in that time and and lost one in the five years prior. I know this is anecdote, but I know quite a few cyclists (Commuters, delivery riders, CTC riders) and only occasionally hear of a theft, of those I can think of, most were from their homes.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Jan 2023, 2:12pm
Jdsk wrote: 8 Jan 2023, 12:56pm
There's a report somewhere from the Liberal Democrats.
I think I've followed all the links within the linked articles and I've found nothing linking directly to anything from the LibDems making any sort of analysis of bike theft. The link in the latest article seems only to take me back to the first. I suspect that subeditors may not be so robust in checking out these things as was once the case.

Presumably you've found the analysis by the Liberal Democrats for 2017 to 2021? I expect that the methodology will be the same.

Jonathan
I've found nothing useful. That's probably my lack of IT skills.

FWIW, I really have no idea what data are collected about reports of stolen pedal cycles. I do vaguely remember that at some point the Office for National Statistics decided that many police "stats" were not of a quality to be labelled as national statistics.

What I do know is that the basic offence of taking a pedal cycle is a minor summary offence (as I've already linked) That classification was not a police matter, but it seems to me a likely part of the reason why the offence is not considered particularly serious.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 8 Jan 2023, 2:29pm
Jdsk wrote: 8 Jan 2023, 2:12pm

I've found nothing useful. That's probably my lack of IT skills.

FWIW, I really have no idea what data are collected about reports of stolen pedal cycles. I do vaguely remember that at some point the Office for National Statistics decided that many police "stats" were not of a quality to be labelled as national statistics.

What I do know is that the basic offence of taking a pedal cycle is a minor summary offence (as I've already linked) That classification was not a police matter, but it seems to me a likely part of the reason why the offence is not considered particularly serious.
"Car & bike theft outcomes":
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =657051572

Liberal Democrats on that analysis of the data from 2017 to 2021:
https://chesterfieldlibdems.org.uk/cy/a ... -last-year

Jonathan
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

PH wrote: 8 Jan 2023, 2:23pm ...... and lost one.....
It's January. It's cold, windy and I'm a bit bored. I've simply GOT to ask.

How did you lose a bike?

I have a feeling that this'll be good :mrgreen:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Jan 2023, 2:30pm [
"Car & bike theft outcomes":
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =657051572

Liberal Democrats on that analysis of the data from 2017 to 2021:
https://chesterfieldlibdems.org.uk/cy/a ... -last-year

Jonathan
Thanks. I see that's published by Chesterfield Liberal Democrats (I don't know the significance of that.) I see that the title of the article is
Vehicle crime epidemic: 140,000 car and bike thefts unsolved last year

and the gist of the article seems to be that current policing methods generally are not working, with "vehicle crime" (both motor vehicles and pedal cycles) being a particularly bad example.

From the latest Graun aricle
Stealing a bike is a classic low-risk, high-reward crime. Imagine if other kinds of theft were treated with the same kind of indifference or acceptance by the victims. I don’t go around thinking my laptop will be stolen in the same way as my bike. While Home Office figures show that in the year to March 2022 just 6.3% of robbery offences and 4.1% of thefts in England and Wales resulted in charges, it is demonstrably worse for bikes. There would be uproar if car crime was dealt with in a similar way Mybold
As I read that, those stats from the Lib Dems are being mis-quoted to make the opposite argument to the Lib-Dem article.

(NB When unlawfully taking a motor vehicle was moved from the road traffic act to the Theft Act, it was allocated a lesser punishment than theft - three years instead of five - but designated an "arrestable offence" - normally offences carrying five years plus)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Tompsk wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 8:33pm It sometimes depends on what you are riding. Sadly expensive carbon with all the bells(!) and whistles should be in a secure shed or inside the house or shouldn't really be left out of sight if out and about. Lesser cycles can have lesser security. For me, basic good security in an unkown area, is a U lock to secure the frame and rear wheel to something solid with a steel loop cable to secure saddle front wheel etc. If not on display and on private property (in daylight) I use a simple cable lock to secure the frame and front wheel to something solid. However if someone really wants to steal something they can with a portable angle grinder and then offload offshore.

One theory states all bikes weigh the same - the lighter the bike the heavier the lock that is needed.
:lol:
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Nearholmer wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 4:24pm As a PS: the bike that I managed to retain for 25 years, I deliberately “filthed up” the day I got it. I sprayed the entire thing with hot, black waxoyl, which instantly made it look old and tired. It was a bit mucky to maintain, but the waxoyl prevented corrosion as well as deterring thieves. That bike was used to and from the station, shops etc, as well as for what would now be called”gravel riding”.

So, I think making your bike look rubbish does help.
I change my own car engine oil and keep it for this purpose plus oiling other stuff around the house. Leaves it nice an mucky but also well maintained.
PH

Post by PH »

Tiberius wrote: 8 Jan 2023, 2:44pm

How did you lose a bike?
Lost as in stolen rather than misplaced, sorry to disappoint.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

PH wrote: 8 Jan 2023, 5:05pm
Tiberius wrote: 8 Jan 2023, 2:44pm

How did you lose a bike?
Lost as in stolen rather than misplaced, sorry to disappoint.
Was it locked at the time it was stolen?
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

PH wrote: 8 Jan 2023, 5:05pm Lost as in stolen rather than misplaced, sorry to disappoint.
Ahhh, I'm sorry to hear that. That is bad news and NOT the amusing little tale that I had hoped for.

Thank you for the reply.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Here's a case that's worth following if it doesn't disappear from the radar

Man wrestles suspect to floor on Tyne and Wear Metro

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-64545416

If I've got this right, a cyclist travelling on a train has caught somebody taking his bike and detained them till they were arrested by police.
The attempted theft, ....

towards the end of the report may be a clue
Bice

Post by Bice »

keefwaddo wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 3:21pm Just as a point of reference: I live in Tokyo and our bikes are outside the garden on the street and never locked. When I take a train I lock the bike in some bike parking place. Once had the light stolen. When we tour in Japan we hardly ever lock the bikes even if we go off hiking for a few hours.

Living in Japan has it's serious negatives, though lack of petty crime is very nice.
I was in Kyoto in the mid-1990s and there was a guesthouse used by not-that-youngish westerners, who routinely nicked bikes from the station. So I was informed chatting to one of them. All the bikes were unlocked. The guesthouse was in the only street dirty with litter in the entire city, and was regularly visited by the police.

On reflection, I decided to stay at a wooden ryokan (inn) elsewhere: the building being of wood was handy for the 3.5 Richter scale earthquake the next day. Not serious - I thought it was a lorry passing at first - until I noticed the tea cup and saucer jangling for about 45 seconds. It made the Tokyo English language newspaper, but was not very serious.

Re bike security, I am pretty disgusted that there are two crims who prey on bikes outside Balham Sainsbury's in SW London. A friend of mine was having her hair done, when the hairdresser said: "Hold on, isn't that your bike?"

They were using portable angle grinders on her £3,000 e-bike. By the time she was crossing the street they were gone, along with the bike.

Talking to the market guys, they said bike thefts happened all the time. That they targeted expensive bikes and that they had threatened anyone who attempted to intervene with the angle grinder.

"How many months has this been going on?" I asked.

"Months? It has been going on for years and the police could not care less."
Daily: Carlton Courette 1982 mixte 42, 32, 22 x7
Van Nicholas Yukon titanium 50/34 10sp
Lazzaretti steel 1996 10sp 48/34
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Marin Bolinas Ridge MTB c1995, 7x42, 34, 24
Scott Scale carbon MTB 27.5 inch