Fish N chips

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Fish N chips

Post by simonineaston »

Stressed chippies report having to put up prices again and again and fear losing their core market ie that a fish N chip supper is (was) a relatively cheap evening meal option. And yet, we plump again and again, for expensive and often over-fished choices, the obvious example being cod, cod and more blinkin' cod...
Now that our goverment has kicked the UK fishing industry in the cods by wrecking their all-important trade with the EU, isn't about time us bonkers Brits took to our very own fish, caught in our very own waters, and helped out, in no particular order, our tastebuds, our wallets, our fishermen and our chippies?
Fabulous to eat fish found in our waters include: herring, mackerel, pollock, dabs, pilchards, plaice, hake, as well as tons of excellent crabs we turn our noses up and go (or used to) instead to the continent.
(In the interest of political calmness, I'll resist the temp. to point out too that lots of UK farmers are having no end of difficulty finding enough cheap labour to dig up their spuds... ;-) )
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mjr

Re: Fish N chips

Post by mjr »

I like herring, mackerel, hake and more. But good luck finding those in any chippy! All you get offered is cod, cod and occasionally haddock but you'll have to wait while they cook that to discourage you evil wicked deviant from ordering it again.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I used to really enjoy rock salmon, aka huss, aka dog fish, aka flake, rock eel yadda ydda, which used to be readily available from London chippies bitd - in the '70s it was fairly standard to see cod, haddock, plaice & rock as well as the usual bevvie of non-fish-related jollity eg saveloy or battered sausages, up on the chalk board.
Nowadays, you'll be lucky to see more than cod and fish cakes...
We know that a great many fish are caught in UK waters, but never make it to the chippies. We're told by the industry that's because there's no demand for anything other than the obvious. They go (or used to) instead to the continent where they are lapped up with gusto, which I'm told is a nice piquant sauce... :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

simonineaston wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 8:34am I used to really enjoy rock salmon, aka huss, aka dog fish, aka flake, rock eel yadda ydda, which used to be readily available from London chippies bitd - in the '70s it was fairly standard to see cod, haddock, plaice & rock as well as the usual bevvie of non-fish-related jollity eg saveloy or battered sausages, up on the chalk board.
Nowadays, you'll be lucky to see more than cod and fish cakes...
We know that a great many fish are caught in UK waters, but never make it to the chippies. We're told by the industry that's because there's no demand for anything other than the obvious. They go (or used to) instead to the continent where they are lapped up with gusto, which I'm told is a nice piquant sauce... :wink:
I used to be partial to rock salmon etc but as you say it seems to have vanished.
I don't often frequent "chippies" these days but I went in to one a couple of weeks ago.
Two large cod and one portion of chips ( we shared them and still had quite a few left - how do people eat a portion each?) - £17
That would become an expensive meal for family on a limited budget.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

an expensive meal for family on a limited budget
Most def. I'm with you on the portion size. My plea of "But I won't eat them." falls on deaf ears. If they'll do it, I'll opt for a cone of chips.
The ubiquitous fried chicken joint undercuts the chippie on price. The Colonel offers a family bucket (yuk what a ghastly-sounding product - always reminds me of Mr Creasote!) for way less.
screenshot of KFC product
screenshot of KFC product
S
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Nice wet fish shop here in Taunton, open for 3 days with fresh fish crabs and shellfish from Brixham.

Chippies abound. Cod and chips for two about £13, plaice and haddock available. But, its a 2 mile ride or drive so we dont bother.

Aldi frozen chip shop beer battered Cod or Haddock and some decent air fryer chips is different to what you get in the chip shop...less oil and fat, crisper and nicer and with mushies works out at £2 a head. No brainer.

Its the same with most fast food, vastly expensive, especially pizzas. A 99p basic Aldi Margarita with your own topping costs less than a £ a portion.

Indians are really expensive and poor value with really mean portions. Do our own with Aldi 99p sauces which are excellent.

The only takeaway we cant reproduce well is Chinese so we spend about £40 and make it last 2 days.

Death of fish shops? I very much doubt it.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Interesting about Indian meal prices.
Back in the early 70's I remember them as being plentiful and cheap.
Have they all gone upmarket outside of London?
My wife tells me you can still find cheap Indian restaurants near Brick Lane in London but I think she's talking about vegetarian ones so may
not appeal to meat eaters.
Some time back I remember they had a shortage of chefs and owners wanted a relaxation in the rules on immigration from Asia.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Al

You have recently mentioned Whitby on another thread. Here's a one report among many about the deaths of crabs along the coast of Yorkshire and beyond.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-60438811

There was recently some sort of marine demo - French fisherman style - when they sailed to the Tees to protest about the work on the freeport, which they blame for the pollution
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Just read this - very funny - gotta say I mostly agree!!
Down with fish and chips, the most disgusting meal on Earth. A new survey says we’ve stopped buying the British classic from the chippy. Thank God: it’s a dreadful mush of artery-hardening grease
S
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I would like to see investment in the British fishing industry, and British caught fish for sale in the UK, but this is something that should be approached with caution.

IMO, an extensive study on fish populations and sustainable management is badly needed. That's not to say that they should stop fishing (or allowing others to fish) British waters, but the data on fish populations is currently poor, and it's difficult to understand what quotas should be for some species, and how to go about revising them.

In addition, methods require an overhaul. Quotas are still killing many non-target species.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

What about the health impacts of eating fish more than once a week? Even NHS guidance is linked to an increased risk of skin cancer.

Ian
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

thirdcrank wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 10:20am Al

You have recently mentioned Whitby on another thread. Here's a one report among many about the deaths of crabs along the coast of Yorkshire and beyond.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-60438811

There was recently some sort of marine demo - French fisherman style - when they sailed to the Tees to protest about the work on the freeport, which they blame for the pollution
On our visit to Lindisfarne I vividly remember the eye watering price of a crab sandwich. I couldnt resist it but its still a painful memory :lol: This is truly awful and I hope that the answer is found. Being a fisherman is hard and dangerous job and they can do without this.

As Vorpal observes most of our catch goes abroad. I wish there was more availability of fresh fish, but how do you achieve that when so many people choose to eat junk.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 12:29pm ....
As Vorpal observes most of our catch goes abroad. I wish there was more availability of fresh fish, but how do you achieve that when so many people choose to eat junk.

Al
You could start by adjusting taxation so healthy foods are more affordable and unhealthy foods less affordable ...

Ian
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Personally I stopped eating fish many many years ago. Initial reason was because of the toxin concentration effects and the pollution in UK waters (i.e. where fish have a tendency to build-up concentrations of toxins). One of the risks of studying Zoology?

Ian