Fish N chips

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Fish N chips

Post by Jdsk »

Shouldn't the comparative gendered need for a bicycle be in there somewhere?

: - )

Jonathan
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33410217

Just in case link does not work. Burbot was not mentioned.Ugly fish but ok taste.Apparently used to be popular historically.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I would say that probably my favourite all-time meal would be a good, simple crab salad. I'm thinking of the following: plain, hot, buttered new potatoes, a couple of tom.s, halved, a couple of whole spring onons, lettuce (of course), radishes, some sliced cucumber (pointless - but why not?), sliced cooked beetroot (not pickled) - and a nice, fresh, dressed crab. As to the slightly vexed Q of (real) mayo or Salad Cream, I don't give a hoot - either will do nicely, thanks. I might be pursuaded to nibble a couple of slices of buttered brown bread, if 'specially hungry...
Now that's a nice tea, thank-you very much :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'll go for dressed crab (or any other cold crab meat), thin toast and butter, lemon juice and black pepper. But the principle's the same!

And while we're on that theme my favourite starter is cold fish and seafood, mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato, and vodka from the freezer.

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonineaston wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 3:56pm
refrigeration means it's widely available in supermarkets etc
Guilty pleasure - some of Aldi & Lidl's pre-prepared frozen fish jobbies are quite nice, in my 'umble opinion - as good or better than some local chippies... Al referenced the breaded haddock earlier I think - blommin' luverly, innit!
Lidl also do a four pack of breaded fish which is noticeably cheaper than the breaded cod.
The front label just says FISH with no indication on the front what it might be.
I seem to remember finding in the rear small print that it's actually pollock.
It's quite decent, even though I prerfer my fish unbreaded.

I think the fish fryers association need to do a big push touting pollock.
Sweep
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Pollock is a bottom feeder like Cod but tastes quite different. Personally I am not keen.
Favourite is Aldis frozen beer battered Cod or Haddock, 2 large pieces for £3.29. so big you dont need masses of chips. My peas are ready for picking so tonight fresh picked garden peas instead of Mushies. :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 9:35am Pollock is a bottom feeder like Cod but tastes quite different. Personally I am not keen.
Favourite is Aldis frozen beer battered Cod or Haddock, 2 large pieces for £3.29. so big you dont need masses of chips. My peas are ready for picking so tonight fresh picked garden peas instead of Mushies. :D

Al
personal taste I suppose al - I find pollock acceptable/rather nice - was introduced to it years ago on a group bike ride which stopped in Ramsgate opposite the then near derelict pavilion building which is now a palatial spoons. The chippy offered pollock as a cheaper alternative and a few of us went for it and were pleasantly surprised. Very tasty meal sat on the benches.

On the core topic, am pretty certain that we are going to see mass closures of traditional chippies that don't also sell something else (ie chinese) - very sad.
Sweep
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 10:59am
al_yrpal wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 9:35am Pollock is a bottom feeder like Cod but tastes quite different. Personally I am not keen.
personal taste I suppose al - I find pollock acceptable/rather nice - was introduced to it years ago on a group bike ride which stopped in Ramsgate opposite the then near derelict pavilion building which is now a palatial spoons. The chippy offered pollock as a cheaper alternative and a few of us went for it and were pleasantly surprised. Very tasty meal sat on the benches.
Fearnley Whiitingstall explored this in a programme based around sustainability. In blind testing many people liked and some preferred pollock to cod in fish and chips.

IIRC there's also been some passing off.

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

It seems difficult to get fillets of large Cod which has big flakes which is the tastiest IMV. The cod we are getting is obviously from smaller less mature fish.
As for chippys closing down, they are thriving around here but face a huge challenge from dozens of fast food joints many of whom will deliver. The home delivery thing has thrived due to the pandemic. Most of the Chinese places now seem to do fish and chips too.

I believe our one takeaway a month is subnormal :shock:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 12:45pm It seems difficult to get fillets of large Cod which has big flakes which is the tastiest IMV. The cod we are getting is obviously from smaller less mature fish.

Al
agree - you don't often seem to get those nice big chunks much anymore.
they were wonderful.
so best to let the cod swim around for a few years I think.
lots of other fish in the sea as the saying goes - folks around the world eat all sorts of thing with fins.
Sweep
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

al_yrpal wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 12:29pm
thirdcrank wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 10:20am Al

You have recently mentioned Whitby on another thread. Here's a one report among many about the deaths of crabs along the coast of Yorkshire and beyond.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-60438811

There was recently some sort of marine demo - French fisherman style - when they sailed to the Tees to protest about the work on the freeport, which they blame for the pollution
On our visit to Lindisfarne I vividly remember the eye watering price of a crab sandwich. I couldnt resist it but its still a painful memory :lol: This is truly awful and I hope that the answer is found. Being a fisherman is hard and dangerous job and they can do without this.

As Vorpal observes most of our catch goes abroad. I wish there was more availability of fresh fish, but how do you achieve that when so many people choose to eat junk.

Al
More on the crab story:

Hartlepool fishermen fear for future after crab deaths

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-61948330
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

....Truly awful.

Fish pie here tonight with a nice Salsa Verde :D Tesco fish pie mix £4.20 :( When you've gotta pay, you gotta pay!

Al
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Coley is a member of the cod family .It is more robust in flavour and a little darker before being cooked .A lot cheaper and better value.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mumbojumbo wrote: 12 Jul 2022, 1:15pm Coley is a member of the cod family .It is more robust in flavour and a little darker before being cooked .A lot cheaper and better value.
And also festooned in a slimy coat of slimy stuff that feels very slimy in the gobble.

Cugel, a lover of halibut (not that kind of lover - that's for the skate fellows).
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Are you misusing the Coley you buy-we do not have the slime you refer to.