Fish N chips

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jules59

Re: Fish N chips

Post by Jules59 »

terrible daft old joke

name 3 fish beginning and ending with the letter K

killer shark
kwik save breaded haddock
Kilmarnock - its a plaice

My favourite fish is trout - not joking - I love the taste. You can keep all your cod - trout is way better IMO
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

mmm trout - I recall family outings to restaurants in the '70s - trout with almonds was a fave of mine. Trout seems to have slipped gently off the menu these days...
And when we went the pub near Stanmore Common - what was it called? - they did a selection of toasted open sandwichs, long before toasties were a thing and I always had asparagus and chedder cheese - tinned asparagus, if course. (yes I know asparagus is not a fish).
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

[/quote]

That's interesting, innit.

"people whose typical daily tuna intake was 14.2g had a 20 per cent higher risk of malignant melanoma compared with those with a typical intake of 0.3g.

Eating 17.8g of non-fried fish per day was associated with an 18 per cent higher risk of malignant melanoma and a 25 per cent higher risk of stage 0 melanoma, compared with eating just 0.3g.

However, no significant link was found between eating fried fish and skin cancer."

[/quote]

Interesting but links do not mean causation. I havent seen the research but what about confounding variables. Do people who eat tuna and other fresh fish have a different lifestyle - more time outdoors or live in sunnier areas. I'd hope confounders were addressed in the study but poor studies often don't and end up comparing apples and pears.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Modern life is great as you can do what you like due to end of world coming soon - oh yes!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jules59 wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 9:53am
That's interesting, innit.

"people whose typical daily tuna intake was 14.2g had a 20 per cent higher risk of malignant melanoma compared with those with a typical intake of 0.3g.

Eating 17.8g of non-fried fish per day was associated with an 18 per cent higher risk of malignant melanoma and a 25 per cent higher risk of stage 0 melanoma, compared with eating just 0.3g.

However, no significant link was found between eating fried fish and skin cancer."

[/quote]

Interesting but links do not mean causation. I havent seen the research but what about confounding variables. Do people who eat tuna and other fresh fish have a different lifestyle - more time outdoors or live in sunnier areas. I'd hope confounders were addressed in the study but poor studies often don't and end up comparing apples and pears.
[/quote]
She wears red feathers and a hooly-hooly skirt
She wears red feathers and a hooly-hooly skirt
She lives on just cokey-nuts and fish from the sea
A rose in her hair, a gleam in her eyes
And love in her heart for me
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jules59 wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 9:53am That's interesting, innit.
"Fish intake and risk of melanoma in the NIH-AARP diet and health study":
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 22-01588-5

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jules59 wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 11:42pm terrible daft old joke

killer shark
Always good to see The Second Funniest Joke in the World. In our family the tradition is to cue the sucker so that they say "It's a place in Scotland".

Jonathan
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

A man goes to chppy.
Sausage, chips and a firkin.please
Whats a firkin..
A firkin bit piece of fish
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Went into a chippy in Brum. Indian lady serving. I said "plaice and chips please" her response eh? I repeated plaice and chips please...again eh? After the third attempt with the same result a bloke back in the queue shouted " he meand PLICE and chips love, he wants PLICE! :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jules59 wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 11:42pm terrible daft old joke

killer shark

My favourite fish is trout - not joking - I love the taste. You can keep all your cod - trout is way better IMO
Pike for me.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

My favourite fish isn't a fish - it's a crab!
S
rjb

Post by rjb »

simonineaston wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 9:58pm My favourite fish isn't a fish - it's a crab!
Anyone tried Bombay Duck. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
peetee

Post by peetee »

simonineaston wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 9:58pm My favourite fish isn't a fish - it's a crab!
One of my pet hates is the term ‘shellfish’ or, more specifically, what you did just there. (No offence, I know it’s a joke).
A prawn is as far removed from a fish as escargot is from beef.
I love to eat fish but I wouldn’t touch invertebrates with a barge pole - or fork - which has always made ‘fish supper’ invites a tricky conversation.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The problem with objecting to crustaceans (or molluscs) being called fish is that there's
https://www.nosuchthingasafish.com

(Highly Recommended, but one of the writers is a friend)

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Though it is the sum total of surealist artists taken to change a light bulb.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden