Derailleur Pulley Bolt

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
slowster

Re: Derailleur Pulley Bolt

Post by slowster »

If you are facing the last resort option of drilling, you might want first to try hammering an old torx bit into the opening, if you have one that is suitable for the task and would make a good tight fit. The bite of the corners of the bit in the remains of the bolt hole might be enough to allow you then to undo the bolt. I think however you would need to exercise care hammering the torx in, to avoid too much force being transmitted to the rest of the body and parts of the derailleur and bending or damaging them.
Gummo

Post by Gummo »

I'll ponder that but I'm concerned that the derailleur itself will absorb the entire impact.
rjb

Post by rjb »

You could remove the cage assembly first, and then you may be able to hold it securely in a vice to work on. :wink:
Removing the pin shown as item 7 should release the cage.
Spare cage inner is available as a spare part from sjsc. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares ... y5xe98010/
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
531colin

Post by 531colin »

rjb wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 6:14pm
Spare cage inner is available as a spare part from sjsc. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares ... y5xe98010/
That takes the pressure off a bit!
Seems to be cheaper at "bikeparts.co.uk".......almost too much cheaper?
slowster

Post by slowster »

531colin wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 8:46am Seems to be cheaper at "bikeparts.co.uk".......almost too much cheaper?
I've bought items from them recently without problem.
Gummo

Post by Gummo »

Mission accomplished, thanks to a combination of methods offered here and other forums:

The new pulley bolt arrived today. I removed the bottom pulley and with the chain on the smallest sprocket, I was able to rotate the derailleur's outer cage plate after having removed the limiter-screw. This allowed the bolt to turn anti-clockwise enough so that, when I inserted the allen-key and put downward pressure on the tool, I managed to get sufficient bite into the bolt to get it fully turned and removed. Hallelujah!

Thank goodness I didn't have to resort to drilling etc. Thanks also to the denizens of this thread for the inspiration, freely given, which spawned a solution to a tiny bolt with a big headache.
Last edited by Gummo on 25 Jun 2022, 12:18am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Well done.

Thanks for adding the solution.

Jonathan