the best way to fix my Ortlieb panniers?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fivebikes

Re: the best way to fix my Ortlieb panniers?

Post by fivebikes »

I’ve used Gorilla glue which, sparingly applied, sticks most things. It may be a bit rigid if the area you mention has to flex Contact adhesive, like Evo Stick, mentioned earlier is good too but make sure you allow it to become tack dry before pressing the surfaces together.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Yacht chandlers sell two types of glue for repairing the two materials used in rubber dinghies.
I have sucessfully repaired inflatable boat rollers, and affixed attachment tabs to turn them into fenders.
The quantity is much more than you would need for a small repair.

https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en/gb ... c-167.aspx
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

leftpoole wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 10:42am Don't be a mean cyclist! Buy new ones. Help keep cycling businesses stay open.
I'm not mean, i just don't have nigh on £100 for replacements and i'm sure the bags have a lot of life left in them - if i can get some sort of repair sorted.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Any conclusions on the materials, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Jdsk wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 4:29pm What are the materials that need to be stuck together?

Thanks

Jonathan
Sorry i was away using my spare bags at York Rally until last night!

Materials are PVC coated Polyester & OVC coated cordura high frequency welded together.

The reason that Ortlieb can't do a welded repair is that the materials need to be 100% clean to get a satisfactory result. The reason for my querstion is that it seems impossible to currently source the Ortlieb repair kit which i have used with great success in the past.
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

I'd try something like this on a small test area. Maybe a 20 mm run not at the end of the whole intended contact area.

Clean and lightly abrade the contact area
Clean and degrease with isopropyl alcohol
Apply contact adhesive to both surfaces following instructions including the waiting
Clamp together

Let us know if they stuck...

Jonathan
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Stormsure Flexible Repair adhesive. I've used this on a torn wax jacket and a plastic saddle cover, a tough, flexible, very grippy and waterproof adhesive, it's possibly similar to the Aquasure that Norman H recommended upthread, manufacturers link describes it in detail.
https://www.stormsure.com/stormsure-adhesives
Plenty of stockists on ebay, e.g.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182869981122 ... Sw-OVgdG7Y
Nu-Fogey
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

will watch the thread with interest - I too have a fair lot of Ortlieb stuff.
No you aren't being remotely mean in trying to keep your Ortliebs going foxy - Ortlieb themselves would quite possibly congratulate you - unlike many manufacturers these days they still sell spares of bits. I have a pair of near quarter of a century rear bikepacker panniers that eventually drove me nuts with the hook inserts popping out. But I was able to buy clip-in 2.1 hooks which sorted the problem.
They will now probably see me out, despite heavy use.
Sweep
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

For repairs of this sort I always use Stormsure. It sticks to virtually everything and forms an incredibley tough flexible join. I have used on shoes where there is constant wetting & flexing & it just holds. Takes a while to cure properly though.

Pretty cheap too. A 5ml tube will be more than enough & only a few quid. Keep any remaining, tube wrapped in foil, in the freezer & it will keep for ages.

eBay link https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw= ... 5467.l1311
geomannie
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

re Stormsure, Id' never heard of it 'till just now. Have added it to my notebook, just in case :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

now thats a useful resource! I have all sorts of gear that could do with some tlc and theres a shop near me too.

might try the Stormsure first
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

foxyrider wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 3:48pm
leftpoole wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 10:42am Don't be a mean cyclist! Buy new ones. Help keep cycling businesses stay open.
I'm not mean, i just don't have nigh on £100 for replacements and i'm sure the bags have a lot of life left in them - if i can get some sort of repair sorted.
I always wish that I could show my smile when making comments! :D
However my experience shows, that on this forum there are a vast number of mean minded, individuals who make money from buying and selling parts purchased from people here. I hate it. It gives the whole forum a bad taste. I have actually met members who having bought something from me very cheaply have behind my back, taken other items (theft). Some forum sales have resulted in the sale that I made of a cycle for a pretty decent low price because the purchaser pleaded poverty, being discussed by said purchaser on another forum. The purchaser bragging about how he purchased for virtually nothing! Telling all that the seller (me) didn't have a clue as to value. Not trusting anyone on here anymore...
It gives me the feeling that there are many mean minded cyclists. Sorry -- you are not one of them.
Last edited by leftpoole on 27 Jun 2022, 12:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

leftpoole wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 12:30pm
foxyrider wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 3:48pm
I always wish that I could show my smile when making comments! :D
i think to be honest I'd save the pixels and just reread your comments before posting.
There is nothing humourous in that post - no wit/satirical point.

so naturally it reads as serious.

(guilty as charged - have kept a pair of spesh shoes going (though have a newer equivelent pair) by glueing a rear sole back on and darning holes in bits of the mesh on the front of both shoes). Used for round-town shopping duties - may now see me out.
Sweep