the best way to fix my Ortlieb panniers?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
foxyrider

the best way to fix my Ortlieb panniers?

Post by foxyrider »

Let me preface this by saying that i have a lot of Ortlieb stuff, its always done the job and i have no beef regarding this issue.

So @ 2014/5 i bought a pair of front rollers to match the anniversary rear rollers that i had/have, subsequently they were used sporadlically until 2018 when one or the other got pressed into service as a day bag. On tours they might have 2.5kg in and otherwise just a lock and jacket on day rides, so not over stuffed or otherwise abused. I noticed last week that the join between the coloured panel and the black sides had come 'unglued' - a better look at both bags revealed several areas on each bag thus affected, three on each of which below is a selection..

thumbnail_image0.jpg
thumbnail_image1.jpg
thumbnail_image2.jpg

I've contacted Lyon who tell me they are unable to offer a repair which is a bummer, they might be out of warranty but there are no tears or other damage to the bags. They are too good to consign to the bin so i want to effect a repair so they can be used as at least day bags.

My question then is what is the best adhesive/process to make a decent DIY repair? And indeed has anyone else had a similar issue?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Jdsk

Re: the best way to fix my Ortlieb panniers?

Post by Jdsk »

What are the materials that need to be stuck together?

Thanks

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Some of the glues used for footwear are super - but as Jonathan says, much depends on the materials in use. I did read somewhere that Ortleib use textured vinyl ie fabric coated with pvc but (obs) they'll know better than me. Their website is reasonably detailed about materials - see here
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

What question did OP ask Lyon? If just "Can you repair" then they answered but how about asking them "Do you know of any 3rd party repairers for the kit?" or maybe "What sort of glue would you recommend for a repair?". A lot depends on the question asked.

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

A two part adhesive. Seem to fix anything. I used it to apply patches to my old Vaude panniers last year. Holes created by a Yorkshire mouse methinks.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

What about some of that 'iron on' hemming strip?

Either that or stitch it neatly.

Don't use hemming strip and then try and stich it - you'll never get the needle through.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I've used Aquashure by McNett for all sorts of waterproof repairs including fixing small holes in Ortlieb panniers. It's not a contact adhesive and the two surfaces would need to be held together somehow until the adhesive cures. This takes several several hours and produces a tough polyurethane rubber bond.

http://www.mcnetteurope.com/files/produ ... /10116.pdf

The ortlieb repair that I did was on a friends panniers that had small holes caused by abrasion. The adhesive is quite viscous and I backed the hole up with gaffer tape on the inside and smeared a generous amount on the outside and held it horizontal whilst it self levelled and cured. No further patch was needed on the outside.

The adhesive cures in air and once the tube is opened it's best stored tightly capped in the fridge or freezer.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Try ringing Lancashire Sports Repair in Burnley? They seem to be able to fix a lot of stuff…
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

Before Brexit I would have immediately recommended sending them to Ortlieb in Germany. They're great at repairs, and very reasonable pricing too. But now, with import VAT, customs charges and who knows what else ...

If none of the other options work out, it may be worth trying to work out what bureaucratic hoops you'd have to jump thro to send them to Ortlieb for repairs.
hemo

Post by hemo »

An impact adhesive may be the ticket.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evo-Stick-Impa ... MRLZKKJ6Y6

The old stye contact adhesive I used 30 or 40 years ago in the buidling industry was very noxious to use but the tube if impact may be a better option today for small jobs.
PH

Post by PH »

If the back of the canvas looking piece is a PVC, then originally they'd have been high frequency welded rather than glued (Microwaved if you like) To have come away like that is/was a manufacturing fault, there's several ways it can happen.
You can't repair using the same method, the material has to be spotlessly clean and unworn. I haven't used any of the glues, I'd stitch it. Better still take them into a tarpaulin or bouncy castle manufacturer at lunchtime and ask if someone will do it for you, it'll need a long arm machine, or a cobblers one (Which might be another place to ask) and it'll take less than five minutes. You could then glue over the top to seal.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Feel like technically that should be a refund/replacement issue with the original retailer despite the age, that's almost certainly manufacturing fault as PH says (the fabric is normally welded to the point that the fabric itself will break before the weld splits) and is unfit/unsatisfactory quality under the CRA.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Don't be a mean cyclist! Buy new ones. Help keep cycling businesses stay open.
pal

Post by pal »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 6:34pm Try ringing Lancashire Sports Repair in Burnley? They seem to be able to fix a lot of stuff…
+1 for this: they've worked wonders on all sorts of bits of kit for me. In fact, this reminds me that I've been meaning to send them one of my own falling-apart panniers....
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

leftpoole wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 10:42am Don't be a mean cyclist! Buy new ones. Help keep cycling businesses stay open.
I don't know if the above comment is serious or tongue in cheek, but as much as agree with the sentiment of supporting local bike shops I also believe that we need to reduce our consumption by repairing and recycling what we have already manufactured. This is particularly the case when buying high end products with a view to them lasting and being repairable as I would expect with Ortlieb.