Why Don't They Repeat ... ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Why Don't They Repeat ... ?

Post by Psamathe »

Out on a ride and mind drifts and maybe prompted by "Max Headroom 5m" sign noticed passing a factory gate and it made me wonder the obvious in not seen Max Headroom repeated. Can't remember much about the show except the nature of the "star" but can't remember much else about it other than it was a fairly original idea for the time

Some of the old TV programs were great back then but don't always work today. I was a great fan of Monty Python TV programs (films were even better) and the TV series have been repeated on Freeview fairly recently and they don't work today which I found a bit sad.

I also remember really enjoying a series on late'ish at night called "The End of the Pier Show" - I remember really liking it but cannot remember anything about it.

So what programs would everybody consider worth repeating (and what just wouldn't work)?

Ian
briansnail

Re: Why Don't They Repeat ... ?

Post by briansnail »

Tomorrow's world and the Money programme
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tomorrow's World was a re-hash of What's New? which ran in the late 50s.
Presented by Cliff Michelmore ........... I think.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The Beeb is now woke. That means It aint half hot Mum and Are you being served are cancelled and replaced by virtue signalling tripe and foul mouthed so called comedians. Both programmes very popular in the States a few years ago but perhaps they are woke too now?

What made me laugh then often still makes me laugh now, but more modern generations probably wouldnt.

My Dear Bill book and Goon Show tapes are treasured possessions.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 15 Jun 2022, 11:03am, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I very rarely watch TV, in fact in the past year only when I was in bed with covid, but when I do, the question that comes to my mind is more frequently: why do they repeat this load of old tripe?
Last edited by Nearholmer on 15 Jun 2022, 1:47pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Everyone familiar with Godwin's Second Law?

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

One series I think they should repeat (maybe they have and I missed it) is "The Ascent of Man" (Bronowski). I remember it being amazing and have recently got hold of the DVD box set. Not started watching it yet and quality looks a bit 'iffy but my recollection is it was a landmark and set the style for much TV documentary methods.

Ian
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 10:54am Everyone familiar with Godwin's Second Law?

Jonathan
No I was not!
<reads ... >
I can confirm that last year I saw documentaries - on mainstream TV - about the incidents 20 years earlier.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Psamathe wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 5:29pm Out on a ride and mind drifts and maybe prompted by "Max Headroom 5m" sign noticed passing a factory gate and it made me wonder the obvious in not seen Max Headroom repeated. Can't remember much about the show except the nature of the "star" but can't remember much else about it other than it was a fairly original idea for the time
Sometimes google makes me laugh! Google Max Headroom and you get:

People also ask:
What was the point of Max Headroom?

:D

-----------------------------
I too haven't seen it since the first broadcasts, and I was quite young then. Reading the Wiki page it was a much cleverer concept than I remembered :idea:
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I deliberately avoid watching old TV programs, as I avoid trying to re-live the past in general.

When you remember good times you cherry-pick the best bits and disregard the rest*, and then the tendency is to gild the lily. The net result is that even if you re-create the past accurately (which you usually can't), it can never live up to the now over-inflated memory, and so it becomes a disappointment that spoils the memory. I recall seeing the Elton John concert in Hyde Park on TV in 2016 and thinking that I would have liked to go if I'd known it was on, but then I realised I was just trying to re-live the day I saw him at Wembley in 1984, and was glad I didn't go. Nothing would have re-created that day because it was just as much about being young, and with the girlfriend, as it was about Elton John.

Aide-memoires are better than re-creation, and memories are better left as memories.

*Peak-End Effect: The memory of an experience is not determined by the average of the whole experience, but by the average of the experience at its peak intensity (good or bad), and the intensity at the end. People understand this intuitively when they "save the best till last", be it the song at the end of the show, the mouthful at the end of the meal, or getting the chores done first. (See Kahneman)
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

axel_knutt wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 12:03pm... as I avoid trying to re-live the past in general.
Very wise.

Discuss it, understand it, learn from it. But don't try to relive it.

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

axel_knutt wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 12:03pm I deliberately avoid watching old TV programs, as I avoid trying to re-live the past in general.

<snip>
Wise words - but surely you can take to extremes?

Listen once-only records? Meals? Roads??

(But it is interesting how some TV ages better than others. )
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

axel_knutt wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 12:03pm I deliberately avoid watching old TV programs, as I avoid trying to re-live the past in general.

<snip>
I do the same in terms of travel/places. If I go somewhere amazing sometimes I'm tempted to go again later "because it was amazing and I really loved the place" - but I don't because it wont be the same next visit. It will not live-up to the surprise it 1st seeing, will just be a repeat and there are so many new places still to visit why be disappointed in a repeat performance when the time/money could be spent somewhere new/amazing ...

(Exception being considering places to live)

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

All Our Yesterdays

Remember that?
It was showing newsreels and with "modern" discussion of 25years ago.
It was all aimed at the 2nd WW because the programme was in the early/mid 1960s.

If it was re-done now, 25years ago would have been only the late 1990s :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

There was a Channel 4 programme in which they got a lot of 20 to 30 year olds to watch old tv. Benny Hill etc. They were appalled! I found that really funny

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......