Why Don't They Repeat ... ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Re: Why Don't They Repeat ... ?

Post by simonineaston »

Everyone familiar with Godwin's Second Law?
Am now... ! :lol:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jdsk wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 10:54am Everyone familiar with Godwin's Second Law?

Jonathan
https://showmeprogress.com/2022/03/20/g ... -possibly/
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

al_yrpal wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 7:03pm There was a Channel 4 programme in which they got a lot of 20 to 30 year olds to watch old tv. Benny Hill etc. They were appalled! I found that really funny
Al
Hardly surprising really.A lot of the old shows,especially 'comedies',were of their time and that type of 'humour' is not acceptable now.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

PedallingSquares wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 9:53am
al_yrpal wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 7:03pm There was a Channel 4 programme in which they got a lot of 20 to 30 year olds to watch old tv. Benny Hill etc. They were appalled! I found that really funny
Al
Hardly surprising really. A lot of the old shows,especially 'comedies',were of their time and that type of 'humour' is not acceptable now.
Well, it is acceptable in that it's available for those who still find it funny to consume. No one will stop them watching and guffawing. Many will now curl their lip at those who still guffaw at the sort of infantile and belittling stuff found in some old tele comedies but what's a curled lip to those who enjoy their Benny Hill, eh?

The kulture warriors, mind, have convinced themselves that anyone curling a lip at their queer old pleasures is somehow "cancelling me" or "preventing my free speech". Now that's an attitude I find very funny indeed. "No one must disagree with me as I will feel a pang of hurt to my freedumb".

I am the naughty one, laughing at daft old loons that still hanker after Bernard Manning or even that Jim Davidson! I should take their comedic pleasures much more seriously! (Or something).

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It's seems to need a distance to recognize that earlier entertainers were able to deliver an act that centred on simple hate, fear and misunderstanding - on reflection, hardly entertaining at all... !
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonineaston wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 1:30pm It's seems to need a distance to recognize that earlier entertainers were able to deliver an act that centred on simple hate, fear and misunderstanding - on reflection, hardly entertaining at all... !
Even back with historic attitudes from years ago, TV did hit an all-time low with "On the Buses".

Ian
sjs

Post by sjs »

Psamathe wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 1:31pm
simonineaston wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 1:30pm It's seems to need a distance to recognize that earlier entertainers were able to deliver an act that centred on simple hate, fear and misunderstanding - on reflection, hardly entertaining at all... !
Even back with historic attitudes from years ago, TV did hit an all-time low with "On the Buses".

Ian
Love thy neighbour?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

sjs wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 1:47pm
Psamathe wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 1:31pm

Ian
Love thy neighbour?
That's the program I meant (both were pretty diabolical, even back in the days when such views seems more widespread ...).

Ian
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

That's a rather odd trio!

misunderstanding has been the bedrock of many comedy ideas since the greeks, and continues to thrive. (Will S wrote several plots around it).

And I don't think Benny Hill wrote many jokes based on hate and fear. This may illustrate the problem with trying to lump so many people together.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mattheus wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 2:47pm

misunderstanding has been the bedrock of many comedy ideas since the greeks, and continues to thrive. (Will S wrote several plots around it).
It is, and he did.

But all three are used in the development and promotion of outgroup hatred, whether it's for comic or other purposes.

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Til Death Do Us Part
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mike Sales wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 2:52pm Til Death Do Us Part
Classic, pushed boundaries and explored the things under discussion here. But, never as bad as Rickys latest venture.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattheus wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 2:47pm

And I don't think Benny Hill wrote many jokes based on hate and fear. This may illustrate the problem with trying to lump so many people together.
I think you've misunderstood the type of misunderstanding! The dodgy comics were more the "ha ha look at the funny people doing stupid things like not eating pork" misunderstanding of others, not the at-crosspurposes misunderstandings of Twelfth Night and so on.

Things like the Benny Hill show have a different problem in that much is simplistic slapstick or bolstered with very shallow caricatures, which tends not to fit modern tastes over here. It might still work in the US with some of the lowbrow stuff they still accept (no surprise Gervais's latest is for a US firm!). Old routines which are "clever" like Dave Allen, Ken Dodd (yes, really) and Morecambe and Wise still work, as you can tell by them remaining part of the main BBC and ITV archives, not being flogged off as filler to minor channels.

I'm sure Al knows already, but The Goon Show is still quite acceptable and broadcast three times a week on BBC Radio 4 Extra. Good comedy is almost timeless.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

aha - misunderstanding^2
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Yes, Radio 4 extra I sometimes listen to and find gems I missed first time around. BBC 4 also.
I liked Upstart Crow, very droll... hope they repeat it.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......