Planning my first tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Dingdong

Re: Planning my first tour

Post by Dingdong »

Steve X wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 7:49am We are new to cycle touring, but I would ask yourself the question if you are a Cyclist or a Tourist. Obviously there are often certain time constraints, however for us the ultimate goal is to set off and see interesting things, so if we travelled 10 miles, and saw something interesting, we may stop there for the day. For us if traveling much over 50, we could not see things and explore. At 100 miles, its travelling not touring. Serendipty is our key word, or would be if I could spell it.

But so long as you are enjoying it.
Completely agree. We are a 50 mile per day couple. If we see something (like a nice secluded beach) we'll stop and probably stay over, regardless of how many miles we are into the day!
PH

Post by PH »

Gee wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 8:21am Or a circular tour of cathedrals starting from Hull, down to Lincoln, Norwich, Ely…then head back towards Sheffi3ld, Wakefield.
If you're still considering the cathedral option and you haven't already, have a look at the Cathedrals Challenge:
https://www.cyclinguk.org/cathedrals-cy ... -challenge

I've done a few, the suggested routes are not always the best, so I've modify them to my preferences, sometimes slightly, other times completely different. There's a few others you might build into that loop, Southwell, Peterborough, Derby, though time and distance is a constraint, still it'd be a shame to miss one out and later regret it. I enjoy this sort of thing, I also collect BCQ points, some of my most memorable rides have been when I least expected it, in a way you can't plan. I don't think I've ever been on a touring ride where I didn't see something at least of interest and sometimes completely amazing.
Distance is a personal choice, it isn't just about ability, really many if not most people are capable of 100 mile days if they choose. It's largely a question of what else you want to do with your time. The higher the mileage the less time for sightseeing off the bike, or lounging round the campsite or... whatever else takes your fancy, choice.
If you go for cathedrals, just factor in that by their nature they're usually in urban areas* which are likely, but not always, to be slower going.

*Notable exceptions I've visited so far - Southwell, Ripon and Ely.
Is it best B&B or wild camping?
I like both, though not much of my camping is wild, sometimes the type of tour dictates the best accommodation, the only way to find out what suits you is to try it.
My cathedral tours have been using Travelodge or Premier Inn, some real bargains mid week, and there's usually one in or near a cathedral city.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I'm always pleased to see that people are planning a first tour. I love touring.

I would encourage anyone thinking about it to think about your goals & what you like about cycling.
Do you like covering a lot of distance? Seeing how far & fast you can go?
Or do you want to stop and be a tourist, visit interesting things, stop at a whim for something you didn't know was on your route, or just a cake & coffee?
If, for example your do a circle tour of cathedrals, do you want to visit any of the cathedrals?

3 or 4 days is good length for a first tour.

Even if you are used to doing 100 miles, or even more on an Audax, that's probably a bit much for 4 days in a row, carrying luggage.

That said, if you wild camp, you have the flexibility to decide each day, how far is enough.

Personally, I prefer to take my time & leave plenty of time to see things, take photos, eat cake, or stop to chat with random people & pet random cats.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I'd go for a weekend say 20miles Friday evening, 40 Saturday, 40 Sunday around a local area gives you a chance to test equipment and motivation.

Things you need to think about above day rides are....
loading the bike?
Comfort on the bike?
Setting up camp?
Cooking?