Cycling UK Forum Moderator offer

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
slowster

Re: Cycling UK Forum Moderator offer

Post by slowster »

thirdcrank wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 11:29am In one of my posts on the "Applications for moderator" thread, I linked to an old post of mine explaining why I didn't think I'd be suitable as a moderator and that still applies.
thirdcrank, I have quoted your comment on the other thread, because I wish to say that your one failing is diffidence. In all of your posts that I have read you have consistently articulated your views intelligently, thoughtfully, with wisdom and experience, and in a temperate manner which avoids antagonising other posters, and you have avoided rising to the bait when others have posted replies intended to antagonise you.

It is glaringly obvious to me that you are probably the member most fitted to be a moderator. I can well appreciate that you might not want to be a moderator simply because you would not like the bother/commitment and potential hassle, but I do not believe that you would not be suitable as a moderator.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

You are too kind but thank you.

Another of my shortcomings would be a tendency to look for guidance in rules etc when IMO they are the last thing that's needed. Rules don't create amity
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

slowster wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 4:00pm
thirdcrank wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 11:29am In one of my posts on the "Applications for moderator" thread, I linked to an old post of mine explaining why I didn't think I'd be suitable as a moderator and that still applies.
thirdcrank, I have quoted your comment on the other thread, because I wish to say that your one failing is diffidence. In all of your posts that I have read you have consistently articulated your views intelligently, thoughtfully, with wisdom and experience, and in a temperate manner which avoids antagonising other posters, and you have avoided rising to the bait when others have posted replies intended to antagonise you.

It is glaringly obvious to me that you are probably the member most fitted to be a moderator. I can well appreciate that you might not want to be a moderator simply because you would not like the bother/commitment and potential hassle, but I do not believe that you would not be suitable as a moderator.
Not a bad shout, I agree.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Not for the first time, I'll link to a thread on the much-criticised old, unmoderated forum. This thread was in reply to another which was critical of me but was somehow deleted.

viewtopic.php?p=24192#p24192

To quote daveg on that thread
Can we get back to business as normal now?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 11:34am Is it so obvious to existing members that the rules and tools or procedures are currently inadequate
(ableism and several other isms allowed, no single -forum bans, to name two) that they have to try to press gang outsiders unfamiliar with them?
ableism isn't allowed and it was added to guidelines in April. The text was changed based on input from the national office recently, and ableism was accidently edited out again, so I re-added it. However, the list is not meant to cover every single possible ism, which is why it also includes "offensive" and "otherwise harmful" language.

edited to add: for those who have not read the guidelines recently, they have been updated twice this year, once in April to update and consolidate the guidelines, and more recently to add the section on safeguarding, as requested by the national office. viewtopic.php?t=3661
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Should a moderator be allowed to delete comments which she decides she doesn't agree with?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The moderators' job is to keep the Forum a pleasant place to discuss things. That's it.

If you think a moderator has acted unreasonably, please report the post, or get in touch with one of the other moderators, or me (admin).
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Thanks, a bit late now, but next time..
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Tiggertoo wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 3:41pm Thanks, a bit late now, but next time..
Perhaps the best course is to try to avoid a next time: reflect on whatever it was last time.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Tiggertoo wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 3:32pm Should a moderator be allowed to delete comments which she decides she doesn't agree with?
Since this can only mean me, I will state that I have never deleted anything because of an opinion I didn't agree with.

I don't honestly recall deleting any comments of yours. That's not to say I haven't done so, only that I don't remember it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 3:52pm I don't honestly recall deleting any comments of yours. That's not to say I haven't done so, only that I don't remember it.
Do you dishonestly recall it? ;)

This is another problem with the lack of moderation logs. As I've mentioned before, as well as denying participants the opportunity to learn from moderation decisions, it messes with people's minds when posts change silently.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

mjr wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 3:54pmThis is another problem with the lack of moderation logs.
I have no knowledge of forum software, so can someone tell me whether this 'phpBBB' software has the ability to support such logs? If this were the case, then this absolutely ought to be activated so that a faithful and permanent record of any moderator action will be made. This would immediately resolve any potential issue of the abuse of moderator privileges, or false accusations of such. As a result, the current situation of having only one active moderator would no longer be a problem - the records associated with any disputes could be forwarded for a second opinion to an independent 3rd party (CUK?) or to one of the more low-key moderators.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 3:54pm
Vorpal wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 3:52pm I don't honestly recall deleting any comments of yours. That's not to say I haven't done so, only that I don't remember it.
Do you dishonestly recall it? ;)

This is another problem with the lack of moderation logs. As I've mentioned before, as well as denying participants the opportunity to learn from moderation decisions, it messes with people's minds when posts change silently.
We do have moderation logs. They aren't public. There are no records of me deleting any of Tiggertoo's posts. I did edit his posts on viewtopic.php?t=147070&start=15
I believe it was to correct the title from "Southern Ireland" to "Republic of Ireland", which I did on all posts on the thread as of about 9:30 am on the 5th August 2021. Other moderation actions taken on Tiggertoo's posts were by other people.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

I have to say that this forum is the only one I ever visit and that is solely because of my intended LeJog coming up, no other social media platform of any kind is ever visited by me, having said that I do expect to be treated the same way as I treat everyone else I ever come in contact with, and that is with respect.
So, I will take this from 'admin':

'The moderators' job is to keep the Forum a pleasant place to discuss things. That's it.'

as gospel and drop in if I have anything I want to ask, say, or comment on, and see how it goes.

The cause of my niggles? An opinion I posted about EBikes not being bicycles and that post being summarily deleted because the moderator did not agree with it.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Which moderator and was that the reason cited?