La Voie Bleue Luxembourg to Lyon

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MrsHJ

La Voie Bleue Luxembourg to Lyon

Post by MrsHJ »

Just supplying a bit of info about my upcoming tour in early September. I debated where to go for a long time. Nothing seemed quite right but also so many things I want to do. Anyway I’m heading off to do La Voie Bleue. Luxembourg to Lyon. 730km ish. Accommodation is a bit sparse in places so expect to have to add in a bit of mileage to find somewhere to stay but looks like a nice route- plus 60km extra for my ferry connection!

Very grateful that getting the ferry from Plymouth doesn’t seem to have the problems that people doing the Dover crossings are having which is a relief. There’s no longer a train running from the port but the next town Morlaix is 30km away. The new SNCF app doesn’t seem to have the problems of the old app and I have e tickets for my TGV connections including the bike and when I changed my mind it was very easy to cancel a leg and get refunded.

Route details

https://en.lavoiebleue.com/

Book (it has 3 variants in it which largely deal with the quiet sections of the route so you can reroute to pick up more accommodation and also 1 to avoid Nancy).

https://www.chamina.com/velo/4826-97828 ... -velo.html

Cycle.travel outline.
https://cycle.travel/map/journey/327891
Last edited by MrsHJ on 17 Jun 2022, 2:25pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dingdong

Re: La Voie Bleue Luxembourg to Lyon

Post by Dingdong »

The voie verte in France is equally impressive. A lot of extensions to it in the past few years.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Dingdong wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 7:16am The voie verte in France is equally impressive. A lot of extensions to it in the past few years.
Do you mean the avenue verte London to Paris? As the Voie verte is also a generic term for french greenways I’m not sure otherwise which one you’re referring to? I always enjoy building my list of possibles though.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

MrsHJ wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 7:36am
Dingdong wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 7:16am The voie verte in France is equally impressive. A lot of extensions to it in the past few years.
Do you mean the avenue verte London to Paris? As the Voie verte is also a generic term for french greenways I’m not sure otherwise which one you’re referring to? I always enjoy building my list of possibles though.
I'm very generic :lol: We cycled the extended route from Montsegur to Bram in the Languedoc. It's been extensively upgraded and a brand new surface applied, which is really great to ride upon!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Sounds great- we've done a lot of cycling round the Cathar castles and I wasn't aware that one was a route.

I have the IGN map of all France with the voies vertes summarised (for route planning) so I might need to get an updated version. It's map number 924

https://www.amazon.co.uk/924-FR-Voies-V ... 2074423593
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Tweaking the new to me thorn ready for the off on Friday. My kona would probably be slightly better for this trip but I’m waiting for the new triple for that one and I want to get this one tweaked ready for the Ruta via de la plata next spring by testing it in a long route. Down to bell, new rear battery and inner tubes on my to do list plus committing myself to the cycle computer location so pretty much there.

No plans to remove the wheels or to use the hub charge in this trip but can someone direct me to a source of info for sorting out the hub charger with the right equipment for charging my power bank? I seem to be able to pull out the connectors for the light so I presume I just plug in some sort of leads for my power bank?
Attachments
2FDEF819-CF65-454F-8D53-1B583D18EA95.jpeg
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

MrsHJ wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 11:36amNo plans to remove the wheels or to use the hub charge in this trip but can someone direct me to a source of info for sorting out the hub charger with the right equipment for charging my power bank? I seem to be able to pull out the connectors for the light so I presume I just plug in some sort of leads for my power bank?
What's the current (!) dynamo and headlight? It's often necessary to add a widget that gives a regulated power output that meets the USB specifications.

Bon voyage

Jonathan
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

First little bit of route report. Ferry all very smooth. Cycling 27km Roscof to Morlaix fine (lovely smells throughout). TGV at Morlaix mostly easy (they’ve put in lifts so no bike lugging). They announce the composition of the train in advance so I knew where the bike and I needed to be for our reserved spaces. Access was nearly level so loaded in intact with luggage. Bike space was left free (it had a big placard on it plus other signs) but steadily filled up with luggage whilst on the journey. The conductor shouted at everyone at Rennes to come and move their stuff to accommodate a second bike. Cycling across Paris very smelly but easy- right across the centre- I have a nice shot of Notre Dame. Thank you to whoever told me where to find the Montparnasse lifts- they were a good size. TGV to Metz easy. Had to elevate front wheel to fit in the Metz lifts but better than carrying it.

Next day local train to Luxembourg easy- level and buckets of bike spaces (it was a Sunday morning though). Luxemburg has hills! and is not cheap. I stayed in Germany(next to Schengen). Cycling today to Metz blinking hot-31c but I’m coping, helped by sorbet au citron and lots of rehydrating in the evening. pS on kit am managing well with vaude front panniers (28l) on the rear plus repair wedge and bar bag. For navigation I’m using the cycle.travel app in beta testing mode.
Attachments
87EDADE1-3D78-4FCE-B6E6-3683B522C677.jpeg
FE152179-11C2-4E08-9877-60A33AA5A772.jpeg
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Complet. Around 775km
Luxembourg to Lyon and the end of the Saone at the confluence of rivers. Now to get the TGV in the morning.
Attachments
284143A5-2460-4D52-8481-395760E09D24.jpeg
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Mrs. HJ,
Am I correct in seeing a single gear in the back and a single chain ring?

I also notice you use clip-in pedals, they look like Looks, are they?

Your handlebar arrangement looks interesting, It seems to be designed to use to take a nap. 8)
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Tiggertoo wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 7:04pm Mrs. HJ,
Am I correct in seeing a single gear in the back and a single chain ring?

I also notice you use clip-in pedals, they look like Looks, are they?

Your handlebar arrangement looks interesting, It seems to be designed to use to take a nap. 8)
LOL- it’s a rohloff, I’m definitely not a fixie.

Shimano single sided spd. I actually prefer double sided I think.

I am pro napping, a siesta is a wonderful thing. The set up is thorn comfort bars from SJS and ergon 5 bar ends. I have this on both my bikes- very comfortable if not speedy. Combined with a rido 2 saddle I have really dealt with most issues that I would otherwise have with several hours in the saddle when I do very little non touring cycling. Need to spend more time in the gym to strengthen my hands and wrists a bit next.

I have now spent nearly an hour cleaning the mud off and there’s some more to go. A muddy short cut!
Attachments
82CA7317-AD88-44AF-A76C-56C67EA2980B.jpeg
Last edited by MrsHJ on 15 Sep 2022, 7:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

How was the trip? Did you have good weather?

Also: TGV tomorrow with fully assembled bike? If so, I think you're the first person on here to make that journey avec velo, IIRC this was a new route for 2022 (and was supposed to continue to Marseille but that didn't seem to happen for some reason...)
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Yes TGV Lyon to Paris with assembled bike. Goes to check ticket….
Does this TGV start in Lyon then or somewhere further down the Rhone? Edit- I checked the ticket and it starts in Lyon Perrache. I would have boarded there if I’d known but not a big deal.

Ok, looks good. Thank you to whoever mentioned this was a bike TGV route now. I also have a TGV to Morlaix in the afternoon to line me up for the ferry the next day.
Attachments
76C808AB-1589-447E-9570-53006B807AE5.png
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

MrsHJ wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 7:47pm Yes TGV Lyon to Paris with assembled bike. Goes to check ticket….
Does this TGV start in Lyon then or somewhere further down the Rhone?
That's an interesting point - I assume the trains must start in Lyon, as it would be strange otherwise
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Weather was mixed- some very hot days, a little rain (but I didn’t need overshoes/trousers etc a a couple of days quite windy. The weather seemed unsettled which is I guess the summary of a strange weather year. It certainly wasn’t bad weather though. I really liked the Canal des Vosges. The weather was quite cool when I was up in the Vosges. Whilst there wasn’t lots of climbing it definitely wasn’t a totally flat or totally following the water ways trip.

If anyone is thinking of doing it the route is largely not signed or paved south of Macon although you get to paved (and separated) trails again in the suburbs of Lyon. It’s not a big deal as I think most of us are capable of reading a map and deciding whether to stick to the unpaved but ok Chenin de haulage or finding a local road.
Attachments
F59B2244-2919-45CF-930E-AF860BC403CE.jpeg
964FAAEB-A7CD-4522-B035-720D4D49B552.jpeg