Best drinks bottle - recommendations?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jules59

Re: Best drinks bottle - recommendations?

Post by Jules59 »

Milton works well I find. Used it on my SCUBA mouthpieces which would get quite cacky.

So it comes down to Elite, Podium or DIY.
Cheers for all the suggestions.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I have a couple of Condor ones (bought cheap from thier stand at the bike show a couple of years back) - they work well.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Any old junk that is handy. I do avoid the Podiums as the need a squeeze. Fine shoving in a rucksack where you don't want a leak but other wise nope. Don't care about a mucky top, take a small mounthfull, swill it round and spit it out if you are fussy but on the whole you won't injest enough muck to harm you.
Stuff ice. You wil rehydrate perfectly well with warm water.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

AndyK wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 3:15pm
scottg wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 2:00pm
Pebble wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 11:23pm 2 Pints
We have enough plastic bottles in the world without having to make more for cyclists
Anyone use stainless bottles ?

2022-06-17_8-59-12.jpg
No. Yeeugh. Also they never fit the cages properly and you can't squeeze them. Well, you can, but only once.
My large (1 litre I think) stainless bottle fits my adhustable Topeak cage just fine.
Squeezing bottles hardly vital, though popular with folk in a hurry of course. I just unscrew the top and drink.
My other bottle for long rides/touring is a 1 litre Zefal Magnum usually with powders in.
Steel bottle only ever water, often used for feeding the espresso maker,
Sweep
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

I vaguely recall a drinks bottle with a screw-off top and bottom, the intention being to help access any part-dissolved residues of whatever were the additives of choice. Seemed a good idea to me but when I needed to replace my water bottles I couldn't find them on sale. Can't help wondering if this was because they leaked or had some other snag. Did anyone try them and, if OK. are they still available?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

philsknees wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 9:28am I vaguely recall a drinks bottle with a screw-off top and bottom, the intention being to help access any part-dissolved residues of whatever were the additives of choice. Seemed a good idea to me but when I needed to replace my water bottles I couldn't find them on sale. Can't help wondering if this was because they leaked or had some other snag. Did anyone try them and, if OK. are they still available?
must say phil that sounds like a bonkers idea beset with issues.
Steel very easy to clean of course if you ever need to.
And there are bottle brushes.
Sweep
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

scottg wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 2:00pm
Pebble wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 11:23pm 2 Pints
We have enough plastic bottles in the world without having to make more for cyclists
Anyone use stainless bottles ?

2022-06-17_8-59-12.jpg

We use the insluted ss ones when on family rides, having a cool drink many hours after filling a bottle is blooming brilliant in hot weather.

I thought there could be problems with vibration progressively moving the bottles out of the cages, in fact they're gripped hard by the alloy cage and it's never been an issue, even offroad, downhill. The bottle sticking out of my son's bike does fit within the frame!

I've concerns with the chemicals leaching from plastic into drink even in tiny amounts, adding physical wear, sunlight and heat promotes it. Those whose interests it's in to maintain profits and keep the public happy insist there is zero risk and that recycling of single use plastics is high and rising, those who don't have any such interests paint a different picture.

2021-09-03 16.13.03 P1030569.jpeg
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

Sweep wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 11:12am
philsknees wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 9:28am
must say phil that sounds like a bonkers idea beset with issues.
Yes, with hindsight and the fact that the product has since disappeared you're probably correct about "issues", but checking back through the archives reveals several references to congealed residues of partially-dissolved powder flavourings/additives going "off" in drinks bottles and causing serious stomach disorders on tour. At the time, being able to unscrew both endpieces, leaving an open tube to give easy access for thorough cleaning in the field didn't seem a bad idea - so maybe it is best described as flawed rather than bonkers. I was really just curious whether it had perhaps leaked or been overpriced.
As for bottle brushes, I've never carried one. I came originally from ultra-lightweight backpacking and carried the ethic over when the knees demanded a move over to 2 wheels. Thin end of the wedge and all that - they're strictly for my kitchen at home.

Just a further point, I can understand that stainless is the popular choice but I personally have a preference for a bottle I can see through. You never really know when wild camping........
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

philsknees wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 9:53am
Sweep wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 11:12am must say phil that sounds like a bonkers idea beset with issues.
Yes, with hindsight and the fact that the product has since disappeared you're probably correct about "issues", but checking back through the archives reveals several references to congealed residues of partially-dissolved powder flavourings/additives going "off" in drinks bottles and causing serious stomach disorders on tour. At the time, being able to unscrew both endpieces, leaving an open tube to give easy access for thorough cleaning in the field didn't seem a bad idea - so maybe it is best described as flawed rather than bonkers. I was really just curious whether it had perhaps leaked or been overpriced.
As for bottle brushes, I've never carried one. I came originally from ultra-lightweight backpacking and carried the ethic over when the knees demanded a move over to 2 wheels. Thin end of the wedge and all that - they're strictly for my kitchen at home.

Just a further point, I can understand that stainless is the popular choice but I personally have a preference for a bottle I can see through. You never really know when wild camping........
agree about see-through bottles - many folks use coloured bottles - fancy logos etc, where stuff can grow hidden. Some of those maybe chuck their bottles regularly for the latest thing so don't care. Bottles can last pretty much forever unless they split - just clean now and again - I don't think they need to be perfectly clean - a bit of muck good for you I think.

Bottles with detachable nipple nozzles good I think for cleaning.
I've got some bottles that are around 20 years old.
Last edited by Sweep on 26 Jun 2022, 7:16am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Personally I'll only use bottles with caps over the mouthpiece. Crud from the road does get thrown-up and you can't really wipe out inside the mouthpiece anyway. I'd suspect that if you don't stop and drink underway a cap could be a nuisance but then you probably can't wipe the mouthpiece anyway. If you stop a cap is no issue and has to be better than drinking road crud.

I've found a brand I find reliable but they are only plastic/polythene bottles so right size, OK mouthpiece and a cap would meet my needs fine (I'm not suggesting the brand I've been using is "the best" - it just works as I suspect many do).

Ian
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

In Spain I'll usually by two brand new bottles when I land, and dispose of them carefully when I go home. I'm a big fan of lightly flavored water so they tend to get a lot of abuse!