A Woosh kit conversion

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
UpWrong

A Woosh kit conversion

Post by UpWrong »

Dawes_converted.jpg
Dawes Red Feather electric bike conversion with Woosh kit. Pink panniers courtesy of the Mrs’ car boot sale trawling! I've ridden to Southampton and back on a single charge, almost a 50 mile round trip. We can share the bike by means of a second seat post fitted with a ladies saddle. I have a lot of set back on the saddle, she has to have one without set back and further forward to clear the battery rack and bring her closer to the bars. It's a 17" aluminium frame with steel fork. There's enough cockpit space to have the bar bag on the inside, away from the cables. Neat.

Spec: 9 speed 11-34 cassette, 38T chainring, Deore RD, Alivio Shifter, Woosh MXUS XF08C 45Nm rear hub motor, rear rack mounted 15Ah battery. Left side sensor plugs into cartridge BB.Lishui 18A controller, 5 PAS levels, KingMeter display.

Hub OLN around 140mm even with a nut removed from the LHS axle. Squeezed into 133mm spaced dropouts. The anti-turn washers are a good fit in the dropouts though.

Rear rack returned and exchanged because a rack leg was not welded straight. Replacement has slight misalignment of controller box sub-frame with battery slides, so get a slight gap on one side where battery mates with controller box. Hasn’t caused any functional problems.

PAS is excellent, no issues. Much better than a sensor disc I think. Assistance comes in with a ¼ turn of the crank, so a single leg push when starting gets the motor activated.

I think it’s worthy, solid, functional kit. There's a noticeable drop off in assistance as the battery level drops, presumably because the voltage drops. I’m not totally enamoured with the cadence sensor and the speed/power controller. Fast cadence seems to trigger more assistance, but the power levels have speed cutouts. I can see the attraction of a torque sensor system. However I much prefer the engineering simplicity of the hub motor. Wisper and Juicy do torque sensing with rear hub motors so I’m considering whether to go down that route. I’m reluctant to splash the cash though because I’d rather spend the money on a recumbent really, I’m just not that comfortable on an upright bike.
Last edited by UpWrong on 18 Jun 2022, 4:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjb

Re: A Woosh kit conversion

Post by rjb »

Nice job there. :) Can you post a pic of the rack. I recently fitted a Tongsheng conversion to a neighbours ladies bike and shoehorned the battery pack onto it. The battery lock which hung down meant I had to remove the front of the rack to accommodate the battery and looking on line couldn't find a rack which I felt was suitable. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Thanks. There are some earlier photos here, https://photos.app.goo.gl/hBDSeFGBejs3MWRG6

Otherwise, take a look at the Woosh web-site.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

UpWrong wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 12:24pm I’m reluctant to splash the cash though because I’d rather spend the money on a recumbent really, I’m just not that comfortable on an upright bike.
Woosh kit on a recumbent, took a bit of fiddling and some help from Woosh but my wife loves it. As you say 50 mile range even on the mid-range battery.
IMG_20210112_144928.jpg
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Looks good. I think an SWB (short wheelbase bent) with a front hub and an IGH would work well. The SWB places around 40% of the weight on the front wheel, and an IGH means you could change down to a low gear to get moving from stationary in order to activate a cadence sensor PAS.

Anyhow, did another 48 mile commute on the Dawes yesterday. Getting the hang of controlling the power levels to coordinate with the derailleur gears now. Not a problem on the open road but more tricky navigating junctions and traffic. I can understand the attraction of a good torque sensing system. Also learnt the value of coasting. It's amazing how quickly the bike rolls on downslopes with the extra weight.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

rjb wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 1:25pm Nice job there. :) ...... I recently fitted a Tongsheng conversion to a neighbours ladies bike and shoehorned the battery pack onto it. The battery lock which hung down meant I had to remove the front of the rack to accommodate the battery and looking on line couldn't find a rack which I felt was suitable. :wink:
I did much the same - a TSDZ2 on a ladies 26" wheeled Pendleton - I had a standard rack mounted battery, cut off the rear section that would hold the controller for a hub motor and this section included the downward hanging lock so that problem went away.

I then fashioned a piece of material to blank off the now exposed end of the battery case. sealed it all in place with hot melt glue and then mounted the battery case onto the original Pendleton rack using 'P' clips and the original battery case threaded screw holes. The battery has for the last 500 miles stayed in place through friction. I might fashion a locking mechanism but then again, I might not seeing as we don't leave our bikes where the light fingered may strike.

The bike and the TSDZ2 are, my wife tells me, a delight to ride (and she's ridden a few different bikes). I paid £110 for the bike which was in great used condition, plus around £370 for the battery and motor so all in a great ebike for under £500.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey