Neil Oliver lidless

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Mike Sales

Neil Oliver lidless

Post by Mike Sales »

I've just been cheered to see Neil Oliver, the archaeologist, riding a bike on BBC TV with no helmet on his flowing locks.
I had thought it was not permitted to appear on a bike on television without one.
Good on him!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Re: Neil Oliver lidless

Post by Jdsk »

I'd always thought of him as an excellent television presenter on subjects about which he was well informed. Then I saw some lurid opinions about Scottish independence. And then, much to my surprise, he started spouting conspiracy theories about the COVID outbreak and some dangerous nonsense about vaccination. I haven't checked the details but I've also recently heard that he's up to the same sort of thing about the invasion of Ukraine.

Very disappointing.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I agree with @jdsk.
He’s a Bam.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The bloke is clearly both well-informed and flame-grilled. His frequent rants on YT put him firmly in the box marked 'Jumping Frogs'. I can see that the subject of 'being made to wear a helmet' would have him frothing at the mouth... Each to their own.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 8:11pm I'd always thought of him as an excellent television presenter on subjects about which he was well informed. Then I saw some lurid opinions about Scottish independence. And then, much to my surprise, he started spouting conspiracy theories about the COVID outbreak and some dangerous nonsense about vaccination. I haven't checked the details but I've also recently heard that he's up to the same sort of thing about the invasion of Ukraine.

Very disappointing.

Jonathan
+1 he has some weird ideas :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I didn’t realise that, but over time I’ve gone from seeking out his programmes, to avoiding them, despite interesting subject matter, because his style seems to have become increasingly intense, and his character/persona seems to have come to the fore at the expense of the material.

Mind you, IMO, “too much presenter” has become a widespread problem with factually-based TV programmes. Fine for the lighter stuff like cooking, travelogues etc, but when the subject itself deserves and demands a bit of attention having Lucy Worsley showing off all the time, or this chap doing the heavily intense Scottish thing all over the screen is simply an annoyance.

Yours in edging-towards-grumpy-old-bloke mode,

Kevin
sjs

Post by sjs »

As a fellow grumpy-old-bloke I would propose to add professor Brian Cox to the list of most pointlessly show-offy presenters.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Nearholmer wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 8:53am I didn’t realise that, but over time I’ve gone from seeking out his programmes, to avoiding them, despite interesting subject matter, because his style seems to have become increasingly intense, and his character/persona seems to have come to the fore at the expense of the material.

Mind you, IMO, “too much presenter” has become a widespread problem with factually-based TV programmes. Fine for the lighter stuff like cooking, travelogues etc, but when the subject itself deserves and demands a bit of attention having Lucy Worsley showing off all the time, or this chap doing the heavily intense Scottish thing all over the screen is simply an annoyance.

Yours in edging-towards-grumpy-old-bloke mode,

Kevin
Ha ha - I grok those sentiments!

Many TV presenters of the lookitme ilk excite my tut-organ. I recall the first editions of that Coast programme, in which the Oliver bloke and another awful gusher-style fellow made my lip curl with disdain after but a few seconds. Where do they all get their over-the-top presenting styles? Do they have to go to a special melodrama school?

Then they started adding loud and over-dramatic, even melodramatic, musak to such programmes. Gawd! I can't watch them, no matter how interesting the subject-matter.

Somehow it was no surprise to learn, years and years later, that the Oliver fellow is a Grade 1 barmpot. There is something of his "increasingly intense" mode that tells you that there's summick up with this gurning man with his cod dramatics.

I do enjoy some presenters, though. Just recently I've been enjoying the endearing enthusiasm of Iolo Williams as he paces about Wales getting schoolboy-excited by all the nice fauna & flora he comes across. "Crackin' bird, a bittern!". :-) Also, Toby Jones voiceovers on the "A Wild Year" programmes is somehow a fine antidote to the usual semi-hysterical deliveries of the likes of the Oliver chap.

Perhaps daft Neil will become another David Icke? I remember when he was just a bog-standard presenter of summick or other on the tele.

Cugel, a critic
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

sjs wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 9:19am As a fellow grumpy-old-bloke I would propose to add professor Brian Cox to the list of most pointlessly show-offy presenters.
Shall we draw up a list? Mine will be very, very, very long. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I’m a very occasional TV-watcher on iPlayer, no more than that, but when I do decide I fancy watching something, which I now regard as a bit like reading a magazine, my choices are heavily influenced by whether I think the presenter will “get in the way”.

Some do seem to have a good conversational style, whereby they can get facts over in an interesting fasion without getting in the way, even when there is quite a lot of them in it, but not many.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cugel wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 9:58am
sjs wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 9:19am As a fellow grumpy-old-bloke I would propose to add professor Brian Cox to the list of most pointlessly show-offy presenters.
Shall we draw up a list? Mine will be very, very, very long. :-)

Cugel
Very brave of you to top the list if I may say :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A stranger to me but sounds like a candidate for Strictly and the rest of the "celebrity" shows and the money-spinners like opening village events
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I see, would you like these people cancelled? :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Communicating difficult subjects is very important to progress.

I'd be much more interested in a list who is thought to do this well rather than badly. And why.

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 10:51am Communicating difficult subjects is very important to progress.

I'd be much more interested in a list who is thought to do this well rather than badly. And why.

Jonathan
I know you are 'in the trade' as it were Jonathan, so I was wondering what you thought about Prof. Fry's recent programme about her own experience of cancer?