Neil Oliver lidless

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Cugel

Re: Neil Oliver lidless

Post by Cugel »

Phileas wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 5:36am When it comes to physics, I far prefer Jim Al Khalili to the other usual suspect (whom I find unwatchable).

Having said that, I find very few science programs on tv watchable anyway. It’s much easier to do history and not talk down to a well informed audience, even though they still often do.
Most current presenters of the stand-in-front-of-the-camera type get on my wick. It's not so much them and their personality (although it can be) but more the production-style that assumes the audience requires a "personality" with exaggerated enthusiasms, leaden humour, constant repetition of the same point in simplistic fashions .... and various other melodramatic antics supposedly there to retain the interest of we viewers. The assumption, in other words, that we can't be interested in a subject unless it's delivered via the medium of an "interesting" presenter that would be more at home in a pantomime.

Personally I much prefer the style of production that presents the subject matter as a set of visuals with a voiceover that itself shows an interest and enthusiasm for the subject but in a more adult tone - a voiceover that inculcates a resonant interest in the hearer but nevertheless "disappears" into the visuals being talked about.

In short, I find the Blue Peter mode of presenting a subject rather too infantile and highly distracting from what's supposedly being imparted in the way of interesting and enlightening information.

And let's get rid of the loud and overdramatic musak as well! A sound track generated from whatever is in the visuals is what I want to hear, with that invisible voiceover and maybe some quiet mood-tones or music, only just audible beneath the sounds that actually inform.

Cugel
Last edited by Cugel on 21 Jun 2022, 11:59am, edited 1 time in total.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Phileas wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 5:36am When it comes to physics, I far prefer Jim Al Khalili to the other usual suspect (whom I find unwatchable).
I agree. I don't get on with his radio programs talking to a scientist about their lift (a bit like "this is your life" - maybe as I find the science interesting rather than an individual's childhood, parent, etc. But I do find his TV programs and other radio interesting and well made (he does a surprising amount of occasional radio programs that get included in several BBC science podcasts).

Ian
toontra

Post by toontra »

Simon Reeve is in a class of his own, and the fact that his programmes are popular indicates that it's possible to be informative without being patronising, and also inject the presenter"s own personality without it dominating the content.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my 21051182G using hovercraft full of eels.

Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

This thread could be endless. I agree with so many previous posts. One chap that drives me nuts is ''Look at my face'' Nicholas Crane. I think he must own the company with the camera rights whatever. The landscape he is in will always far more interesting than his flipping face with an unopened umbrella in his rucksack. But he has his face in the lens all the time.
Totally agree with the comment 'When it comes to physics, I far prefer Jim Al Khalili to the other usual suspect (whom I find unwatchable).'

Caroline Quentin and Susan Cullman and many many others might be good at what they should be doing but it sure isn't presenting a travel program to me. AND I am not difficult to please.
Prof Fry and her cancer program was very necessary and sadly revealing. Having worked in that environment and also having sat on that chair with all the details of chemo , risk, death etc etc thrown at me and wondering what the blazes to do when faced with so much info at that most vulnerable moment it really hit a nerve.
Not fond of Julia Bradbury generally but boy was she brave.
As I said this could run and run.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Do we know whether Brian Cox or Lucy Worsley wear a helmet when on their bikes?
I am sure I have seen Nick Crane presenting in one.
I've just watched Iolo for the sake of seeing the hills of Eryri, and enjoyed his North Walian accent and the snatches of Cymraeg too.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Mike Sales wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 8:33pm Do we know whether Brian Cox or Lucy Worsley wear a helmet when on their bikes?
It would depend which period Lucy was representing, I would think.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Nick Crane is an iconic touring cyclist. Hes the man who hollowed out his toothbrush to save weight. :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Yes I know Nick Crane is cyclist and walker etc etc. I read all books years ago when he was with his cousin Richard and enjoyed them. However this thread developed into people and presenters and styles etc and he just gets on my wick with his style and umbrella. Sorry.

Can't believe you have had your ebike as long as you have Al as I believe it was on my comments that you went for yours.
Anthony
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Antbrewer wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 3:27pm Yes I know Nick Crane is cyclist and walker etc etc. I read all books years ago when he was with his cousin Richard and enjoyed them. However this thread developed into people and presenters and styles etc and he just gets on my wick with his style and umbrella. Sorry.
It's just a personal view, no need to apologise! The presenters who are a bit more lively, and are more on camera than others are far more likely to polarise opinion. They're people - not everyone likes the same people!
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Hi mattheus
I'm not really apologising.

I too have cut the handle of my toothbrush when i was so much younger and cutting down weight in my backpacking days. Could I clean my teeth easily? No.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Antbrewer wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 3:47pmI too have cut the handle of my toothbrush when i was so much younger and cutting down weight in my backpacking days.
Doesn't everyone? I have a picture somewhere of me doing this just N of the Arctic Circle before setting off on Kungsleden. But the children thought that I was still overloaded and transferred the whisky to one of their own packs.

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Antbrewer wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 3:47pm Hi mattheus
I'm not really apologising.

I too have cut the handle of my toothbrush when i was so much younger and cutting down weight in my backpacking days. Could I clean my teeth easily? No.
I now have one of these. 42g apparently (less if you use some of the paste before you go):
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

al_yrpal wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 12:33pm Nick Crane is an iconic touring cyclist. Hes the man who hollowed out his toothbrush to save weight. :lol:
Al
Iconic?
I think that is over stretching it a bit.Until someone mentioned his umbrella I didn't have a clue who is is/was and even then I had to Google him to make sure he's the bloke off Coast.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

PedallingSquares wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:17pm
al_yrpal wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 12:33pm Nick Crane is an iconic touring cyclist. Hes the man who hollowed out his toothbrush to save weight. :lol:
Al
Iconic?
I think that is over stretching it a bit.Until someone mentioned his umbrella I didn't have a clue who is is/was
Do you realise all this proves is your own ignorance? :lol:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PedallingSquares wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:17pm
al_yrpal wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 12:33pm Nick Crane is an iconic touring cyclist. Hes the man who hollowed out his toothbrush to save weight.
Iconic?
I think that is over stretching it a bit.Until someone mentioned his umbrella I didn't have a clue who is is/was and even then I had to Google him to make sure he's the bloke off Coast.
I recommend all of his books on cycling and walking that I've ever come across.

Jonathan