Bikes on Escalators, is there a technique

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Steve X

Bikes on Escalators, is there a technique

Post by Steve X »

On Sunday we had a great ride around The Wirral, highly recommended.
However we had to get our bikes to the other side of The Mersey and used the underground and got off at Hamilton Square. Two issues really. You need to use two lifts at the stations to get from ground level to the platforms, and the lower lifts are really small, I am glad we only had one Pannier each or it would have been really awkward.
However thats Mersey Rail specific. The other issue is something we might face elsewhere. One lift was not working so we had to us an Escalator to go up a level, and as soon as the Bike got on the Escalator it went all weird, with the the Bike taking on a life of its own. I do not understand why TBH, as the bike seemed static in relation to the steps. I am really glad it was the up escalator and not the down, as that could have been a disaster.

Has anyone any experience of Bikes on Escalators please?
Nearholmer

Re: Bikes on Escalators, is there a technique

Post by Nearholmer »

I spent 27 years working as an engineer for London Underground, and got trained as a station assistant to help out at super-busy times like the Olympics. We forbad bikes on escalators, because it is so hard to prevent accidents if people take them up and down.

But, if I were to try it, I would carry it as on stairs, one arm over the seat/crossbar and grip the seat-tube low down near the BB, other hand holding the handrail in case you slip. You can buy little straps to fit to make the grip easier.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've done it a few times over the years, both up and down them.
Hold the bike as you would do normally holding the 'bars, but keep both brakes on hard.
Never had an issue.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Nearholmer wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 10:24amBut, if I were to try it, I would carry it as on stairs, one arm over the seat/crossbar and grip the seat-tube low down near the BB, other hand holding the handrail in case you slip. You can buy little straps to fit to make the grip easier.
Yes.

There's a dedicated leather strap in the archives!

Facing which way for up and for down?

Thanks

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Steve X wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 10:16am... I am glad we only had one Pannier each or it would have been really awkward.

... and as soon as the Bike got on the Escalator it went all weird, with the the Bike taking on a life of its own. I do not understand why TBH, as the bike seemed static in relation to the steps. I am really glad it was the up escalator and not the down, as that could have been a disaster.
Going up and the bike facing forwards, and the single pannier on the rear? Did the weight of the pannier pull the front of the bike up causing instability in roll?

Thanks

Jonathan
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

“Stand on the right; walk on the left!”, and tuck the bike under your left arm, so that your right hand can grip the handrail.

The big problem is that bikes on escalators create a major trip hazard for anyone trying to walk past on the right, or cause giant arguments because they can’t, and if one gets tangled-up at the bottom coming off it can cause a really dangerous pile-up.

Here’s where you can take a bike on The Underground off-peak https://content.tfl.gov.uk/cycles-on-pu ... nsport.pdf IIRC all of the allowed stations have stairs that you can carry a bike up, so you don’t need to use escalators.
Last edited by Nearholmer on 20 Jun 2022, 2:04pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

Mick F wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 10:26am Hold the bike as you would do normally holding the 'bars, but keep both brakes on hard.
Never had an issue.
+1
I've used the escalators at London Waterloo quite a few times, on my way to/from Kent and a Continental tour with panniers. Roll the bike on to and off the escalator and immobilise it with the brakes in between. Simples!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

We're usually travelling as a couple. Staircases and escalators etc are *assessed before use... if anything looks tricky we unload the luggage and shuttle or find another route. Liverpool Street Station comes to mind...

Jonathan

* Always reminds me of how armadillos cross rivers...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Are there stairs available? I'd expect there are and in my opinion they should have the side channels on one or both sides for allowing bikes to be pushed up and down. If the stairs don't have such channels write to the place and tell them they need them.

They must have stairs otherwise with only lifts and escalators what happens in power cut (or emergency supply failure). (2-wheel) bike channels are easy and cheap to fit and normally would not interfere with pedestrian use of the stairs.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Chris Jeggo wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 10:44am
Mick F wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 10:26am Hold the bike as you would do normally holding the 'bars, but keep both brakes on hard.
Never had an issue.
+1
I've used the escalators at London Waterloo quite a few times, on my way to/from Kent and a Continental tour with panniers. Roll the bike on to and off the escalator and immobilise it with the brakes in between. Simples!
+1. You can roll the front wheel on, steady yourself, and then when ready to proceed, squeeze the front brake and the escalator will take your bike effortlessly as you follow.

It is ridiculous that some station operators try to ban them after someone makes a mistake. People trip on escalators too, but people aren't banned from them.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 11:08am Are there stairs available? I'd expect there are and in my opinion they should have the side channels on one or both sides for allowing bikes to be pushed up and down. If the stairs don't have such channels write to the place and tell them they need them.
I have yet to use any UK station with wheel channels installed correctly. The two Cambridge stations have ones that will trash rear derailleurs because the channel sides are too high or the channel position under the left hand rail requires the bike to be leaned over too far right. Is there a decent installation guide anywhere?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
BeardyWeirdy

Post by BeardyWeirdy »

I have used the ones in Antwerp fully loaded - no issues if you follow the instructions

https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2019 ... n-antwerp/

getting your front wheel turned and standing on the right step makes it easier. The video show a few of the options
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

It is ridiculous that some station operators try to ban them after someone makes a mistake.
I completely disagree.

Put a bike on an escalator in a busy station, especially going down, and you have a very good recipe for trouble.

Regarding emergency escape, I can only speak with real knowledge for The Underground, where all stations have a way out that is usable in the event of main power failure, mostly stairs, although in some places there are evacuation lifts, and all are lit by emergency power supplies. But, many of the stairways from older deep stations are seriously unsuitable for carrying a bike up, being very long spirals.
Last edited by Nearholmer on 20 Jun 2022, 11:34am, edited 1 time in total.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I use escalators at a station in Oslo regularly with a bike. As others have said, just roll it on & use the brakes. I have come across escalators with higher than normal steps, in which case the distance can be awkward, but it just requires a little more care, and maybe lifting a wheel a little before the escalator flattens.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

BeardyWeirdy wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 11:16am I have used the ones in Antwerp fully loaded - no issues if you follow the instructions

https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2019 ... n-antwerp/

getting your front wheel turned and standing on the right step makes it easier. The video show a few of the options
That looks good & I will try it next time I use the esclator.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom