Cycle To Work Choices

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
GeekDadZoid

Re: Cycle To Work Choices

Post by GeekDadZoid »

psvrichard wrote: 14 Jul 2022, 12:32pm Thanks for all the replies. Not sorted yet but in about 30 mins I have a zoom call with the Green Commute people. Looks like we've got the green light from the business owner so happy days. Definitely agree with the mudguards comments and probably a rack too. The weird thing about me is that I seem to cycle faster on Strava segments with my work bag on my back than when I have nothing with me! It's very odd and not even an uphill vs downhill thing. I do 90% of rides with luggage on back but don't seem to speed up that much without luggage. Think it's psychological from when I used to do paperrounds as a boy!
Green commute are nice and simple to work with from an employee and employer point of view.

Something you have not mentioned is your at work storage solution. Is it secure enough for a £1k bike. I do 70% + of my commutes on my brompton, it probably takes 10 mins longer max over the 15km than on my adventure bike, but I don't have to go out to the shed at home and I don't have to go to the bike store at work so I make that time up.

I can keep it under my desk so no worries about theft.
psvrichard

Post by psvrichard »

Interesting point. 15 years ago I had a Brompton but I got knocked off and it was written off. I loved it though! We can bring bikes inside but there are racks outside with cctv and a quietish area.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Get a steel-framed touring bike. Mine is an Edinburgh Cycles Country Explorer, now 10 years old and I love it to death. Unfortunately they don't make it any more but similar bikes can be had from manufacturers like Dawes and Ridgeback to name but 2.

You don't have to spend mega-bucks and don't get hung up about weight - remember that unless you're 7 stone wringing wet, your body weight will be at least 70% of the combined load.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Also look at genesis, spa and enigma amongst others...
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I'd look at a boardman carbon too.

Common as..... So not highly nickable,

Light and responsive.

Of your riding to work and saving a fortune on a car, get a decent bike and enjoy it!

After a year sell it on!!