Paying for "free camping"

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Paying for "free camping"

Post by Sweep »

Anyone noticed a rise in this, particularly post plague?
Came across a place the other day, wanted £15 for a bit of field and a portaloo, no showers or other facilities at all.
True that they gave a £5 discount if you came without an engine, but that's still a tenner.
May as well join the bears in the woods?
Spend the money on a spoons breckie and pint or two.
(Plead guilty to this being a guilty pleasure of mine after a wild camp)
Sweep
Paulatic

Re: Paying for "free camping"

Post by Paulatic »

We use a lot of 5van sites and looking around this year can see some have bumped up their price. £20 becoming a norm from £15.
Having said that this week I’m near Alston £13/night with EHU. Hearing the constant call of curlews it’s worth every penny. :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

If your area of living is to be assumed correct, then indeed you should be well able to pay...! I believe those who live and pretty likely work in London or area have pretty decent wages. I am retired. I live on State Pension to which I paid every week contributions. If someone complains about free camping-then try living on my salary! I would never complain about making payment for goods, chattels or any service. If I objected to the costs, I would go elsewhere.
Countryside is free to use. If you want someone's water or toilet pay!
If you want free join the Labour Party, I believe they are having a recruitment drive. If you wish to complain, see the Union Rep.... lol
It really gets 'up my nose' how people on this CTC Forum moan and groan about costs! Riding what are very probably expensive cycles and penny pinching to camp somewhere or buy from a fellow cycling enthusiast. I have virtually sold a lifetime's worth of cycling to mainly CTC Forum members and most have moaned and groaned about how poor they are and then quite often sold on to someone else. Greed.
Free? Free train travel, Free meals, Free holidays. Grrrrrrr
My own personal opinions are still mine, and actually do come free!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

leftpoole wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 10:39am If your area of living is to be assumed correct, then indeed you should be well able to pay...! I believe those who live and pretty likely work in London or area have pretty decent wages. I am retired. I live on State Pension to which I paid every week contributions. If someone complains about free camping-then try living on my salary! I would never complain about making payment for goods, chattels or any service. If I objected to the costs, I would go elsewhere.
Countryside is free to use. If you want someone's water or toilet pay!
If you want free join the Labour Party, I believe they are having a recruitment drive. If you wish to complain, see the Union Rep.... lol
It really gets 'up my nose' how people on this CTC Forum moan and groan about costs! Riding what are very probably expensive cycles and penny pinching to camp somewhere or buy from a fellow cycling enthusiast. I have virtually sold a lifetime's worth of cycling to mainly CTC Forum members and most have moaned and groaned about how poor they are and then quite often sold on to someone else. Greed.
Free? Free train travel, Free meals, Free holidays. Grrrrrrr
what a bizarre response - and seems to me to be motivated more by your private concerns/bugbears than the subject at hand.
On London, the point of your first line (and maybe betrays your motivation/obsessions) I would advise doing some research.
On the camping, please note that I am talking about pitches which provide pretty much nothing at all apart from a pitch of grass. Not a lot in the way of goods, chattels or any service there.
If folks want to charge for such that is their choice, but I am simply questioning the point of pitching there.
Am not a great fan of portaloos. After using some I feel like a damn good wash - but, then - oh .....
Showers and facilities are it seems to me one of the main benefits of campsites - otherwise, it's just wildcamping/freecamping - whatever you want to call it.
All the best with your sales - seems to be another bugbear of yours you have shoe-horned into this topic.
Of wildcamping/freecamping - paying for.

As another point (ONTOPIC) I can't help but think that a lot of these sites are used by folk with engined transport, quite possibly campervans. For they of course have their own facilities. This would for me be another reason not to use them. When using campsites have always liked ones that have a separate bit for tents only pitches - but with of course access to facilities. You know - showers and stuff.
Sweep
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I hope you feel terrible about posting now, Sweep.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mattheus wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 10:56am I hope you feel terrible about posting now, Sweep.
not really :)
assume you are joking.
Sweep
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Sweep wrote:
leftpoole wrote: Free? Free train travel, Free meals, Free holidays. Grrrrrrr
what a bizarre response - and seems to me to be motivated more by your private concerns/bugbears than the subject at hand.

As another point (ONTOPIC) I can't help but think that a lot of these sites are used by folk with engined transport, quite possibly campervans. For they of course have their own facilities. This would for me be another reason not to use them. When using campsites have always liked ones that have a separate bit for tents only pitches - but with of course access to facilities. You know - showers and stuff.
Bizarre?
If you like to go to Wetherspoons after camping, plus the disdain for Portaloo toilets, might I suggest a B&B? If you like to spend in the Pub then why not try to offer financial support by paying some person who has no doubt a massive cost to actually own that field you mention?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

leftpoole wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 11:03am
Sweep wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 10:49am [quote.
amended by moderator
Chill - I suggest a nice lie down/camp in nature with some friendly trees and birds.
Please amend your "post" - you have quoted something which is not a quote from me but from you.
Talking to yourself not a good sign.
Sweep
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

There was a copy of only parts of the post by Sweep. Now deleted because it was not relevant.
Chill - I suggest a nice lie down/camp in nature with some friendly trees and birds.
Please amend your "post" - you have quoted something which is not a quote from me but from you.
Talking to yourself not a good sign.
No idea what happened there! Sorry to misquote lol.
I am indeed in need of fresh air and a lie down. Unfortunately I am not so well and am limited in my movement.
I hope that you find a nice fairly cheap campsite somewhere that has free hot showers and all the modern fitments such as Washer drying machines and dishwashers etc.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Sweep wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 11:01am
mattheus wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 10:56am I hope you feel terrible about posting now, Sweep.
assume you are joking.
Yes. (Although if you really do insist on a dishwasher, as suggested ...)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

leftpoole wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 11:12am There was a copy of only parts of the post by Sweep. Now deleted because it was not relevant.

No idea what happened there! Sorry to misquote lol.
I am indeed in need of fresh air and a lie down. Unfortunately I am not so well and am limited in my movement.
I hope that you find a nice fairly cheap campsite somewhere that has free hot showers and all the modern fitments such as Washer drying machines and dishwashers etc.
yep you do need to rest.
who was asking for washer/driers and dishwashers?
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mattheus wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 11:14am
assume you are joking.
:)
saw after posting my thing on domestic fittings.
thanks for reply - tone can be unclear online.
Sweep
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Sweep wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 11:17am
mattheus wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 11:14am

assume you are joking.
:)
saw after posting my thing on domestic fittings.
thanks for reply - tone can be unclear online.
Tone is certainly not available online. It is like trying to tell how loud a bicycle bell rings.
My tone always is actually calm, collected and humorous... I believe it is called 'tongue in cheek'. I like the sound of the word 'cheek'!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

since leftpoole now seems more chilled, a channel of a merry pair's free/wildcamping experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/c/GarethZoeWildcamps/featured
Sweep
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Sweep wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 4:07pm since leftpoole now seems more chilled, a channel of a merry pair's free/wildcamping experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/c/GarethZoeWildcamps/featured
I am positively freezing. Cool? Me? Certainly.