Belonging to a Union

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
francovendee

Belonging to a Union

Post by francovendee »

I'm not referring to the current dispute in the news but wonder if any member has belonged to a Union?
My second question is have you ever had to join in industrial action against your own views?

I confess to never joining a Union. I may have been lucky in always working for small companies where there was no union recognition. I don't think it ever meant I wasn't paid decently but working conditions were less than perfect. This was in the 60's and through to the 80's.
I think if I'd worked in a company with a Union presence then I would have joined.
reohn2

Re: Belonging to a Union

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 8:07am I'm not referring to the current dispute in the news but wonder if any member has belonged to a Union?
Yes
My second question is have you ever had to join in industrial action against your own views?
No
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 8:07am I'm not referring to the current dispute in the news but wonder if any member has belonged to a Union?
Yes
francovendee wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 8:07amMy second question is have you ever had to join in industrial action against your own views?
No

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Despite working in mainly professional jobs, I have been in unions for 20 years.
Something like 80 % of workers in Norway are protected by unions, though I don't actually know how many of those are members.

My union were instrumental in getting me back to work after a covid furlough. The company I work for planned to make my entire department redundant.

I have never taken industrial action myself, but I was once threatened with dismissal in the USA when I refused to cross picket lines. The company told me that the protection for employees not crossing picket lines didn't apply to me because of my position, but the law said otherwise & the union backed me up.

By personal observation, where unions are strong, all workers benefit from much better working conditions & it works on both a micro/company scale, and a country scale.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
rjb

Post by rjb »

Even in retirement my union (life member) works tirelessly on my behalf on issues such as pensions, health related industrial disease and more. I would recommend membership to all.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rjb wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 8:32am Even in retirement my union (life member) works tirelessly on my behalf on issues such as pensions, health related industrial disease and more. I would recommend membership to all.
Me too. And this often comes up in this forum when people need advice after "accidents". Or have employment problems.

Jonathan
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Where there has been Union recognition then I have belonged to a Union. Nothing in life is perfect, Unions do cost money to belong to and there’s the risk of having to stand in solidarity with your co-workers. However I’ve always found that in practice the benefits clearly outweigh the costs and risks. I have taken part in industrial action but that action has always followed a vote and whether for or against action I’m happy to respect the outcome of the vote and act accordingly.

Perhaps there are exceptions to the rule but I believe that you can only be unwilling drawn into industrial action if you’re the type of person who doesn’t accept the outcome or validity of a vote. Validity might occasionally be an issue - often is if your read the Express or Mail - but members do have a say about how their Union is run.
Last edited by Carlton green on 21 Jun 2022, 8:44am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Vorpal wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 8:27amBy personal observation, where unions are strong, all workers benefit from much better working conditions & it works on both a micro/company scale, and a country scale.
And it's very interesting to watch the recent appearance of unions in the giant USA companies.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I was prevented by law from being a member of a union. It may say something about the effects of other legislation the the Police Federation - established as the government's poodle - should now be portrayed by the likes of Teresa May as powerful.

In retirement, my situation seems to have been protected as a side effect of the work of the Fire Brigades Union. (The inflation proofing seems under regular attack. It's provided partly by the occupational pension scheme and partly by the state retirement pension. The details are beyond my but at one point the Home Office tried to lose a bit down the back of the settee but the FBU spotted what was happening.)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rjb wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 8:32am Even in retirement my union (life member) works tirelessly on my behalf on issues such as pensions, health related industrial disease and more. I would recommend membership to all.
+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Yes and a Union rep also.
25 years ago I was a rep and I'm just retraining.In fact I'm on a Stage 2 advanced rep course 4-8th July.I would not work anywhere that doesn't recognise a Union.
Things are very much different now to when I was last a rep.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Never - though that was not on a point of principle or belief. Through my career I've only had one job where union membership was a possibility - working for a Gov. QuANGO. It was very early in my career and finances were very tight so I didn't purely because I didn't want to spend the money or couldn't afford the money. There were strikes whilst I was employed there and I didn't cross picket lines or go into work (I was fortunate in that it was easy for me to take time-off-in-lieu - working from home not practical back in those days). So I did a bit of a cop-out - not present in terms of counts of staff not turning-up for work but not attending picket lines.

Since then never worked for a company where Union membership was an option.

Ian
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Yes.

No.

And despite what the propaganda machine has been pumping out for the last fortnight, not currently taking any action.
millimole

Post by millimole »

Yes
No

I was a Trade Union member for about 35 of the 40 years I worked in the NHS.
I was involved in a couple of acrimonious disputes, but never went on strike.

When I needed Union support at the tail end of my career I was severely let down, and although I remained a 'retired member', I've now let that lapse as I was seeing a very poor return on investment.

I'm a supporter of Trade Unions as a principle, but they can let people down by having mediocre local reps, and by having leaders who are out of touch with the members paying their (sometimes huge) salaries. A pincer movement of failure.
Trade Unions need to get back their roots and rebuild local movements.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

millimole wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 12:05pm Yes
No

I was a Trade Union member for about 35 of the 40 years I worked in the NHS.
I was involved in a couple of acrimonious disputes, but never went on strike.

When I needed Union support at the tail end of my career I was severely let down, and although I remained a 'retired member', I've now let that lapse as I was seeing a very poor return on investment.

I'm a supporter of Trade Unions as a principle, but they can let people down by having mediocre local reps, and by having leaders who are out of touch with the members paying their (sometimes huge) salaries. A pincer movement of failure.
Trade Unions need to get back their roots and rebuild local movements.
Early in my career I was a Union rep, no one else was prepared to do the job so I had a go for the twenty or so of us that had me as their first link in the Union support network - a lad doing a man’s job. Management used to make life difficult for troublesome reps and, eventually, promote people who showed themselves to be thinking folk; indeed good managers listen to sensible Union folk and the result is a happy work place. The point I make here is that Union members get the support that they deserve when they stand behind their shop steward and give of their own time and skills to support their fellow workers - don’t just pay your subs and leave all the rest to someone else.

Some Union leaders do get paid a packet and some might be worth it and some might not. Truly professional help costs money, but failing to get effective help also costs money too. So, members need to take an interest in their Union and ensure that their Union responds to their needs.
Last edited by Carlton green on 21 Jun 2022, 12:41pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.