Belonging to a Union

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Nearholmer

Re: Belonging to a Union

Post by Nearholmer »

I’ve been a TU member since 17yo, and decided to continue as a “retired member”, rather than leave, which probably tells you that I have a generally positive attitude towards the concept.

Never complain about the quality of local reps, unless you are prepared to put your name forward to become one. I did at a stupidly young age, got elected and then learned an enormous amount about people in the few years that I served. I think I possibly helped some people along the way, I certainly hope so.

The big lesson to me was that being a rep is often a form of unpaid social work, because the guys who get themselves into sticky situations, at cross-purposes with their boss, or out on a limb during reorganisations etc, are often guys who find life in general a bit more of a challenge than others, and often calm explanation and calm advocacy on their behalf makes s big difference. Of course, a small percentage of managers are bullies of one kind or another, but it surprising how some of them modify their tone when confronted with calm logic, and an unwillingness to be browbeaten.
millimole

Post by millimole »

Carlton green wrote:. So, members need to take an interest in their Union and ensure that their Union responds to their needs.
This is what I was referring to when I said 'back to their roots'. Many union members treat union membership as a 'service', and I fear some unions encourage this.
Membership of a union should be participatory not passive.
I confess to becoming a passive member at several stages in my membership when local branch meetings were monopolised by impenetrable jargon and irrelevant campaigns.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have, once, voted for strike action. The company capitulated at the 11th hour, partly due to overwhelming support for strike action.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Yes

No

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mjr

Post by mjr »

Pendodave wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 11:43am And despite what the propaganda machine has been pumping out for the last fortnight, not currently taking any action.
Yes, Mr Shapps seems to be ranting against train drivers who aren't actually on strike this week in most places (the main union on strike this week is the guards/support workers RMT, not the drivers ASLEF). I suspect Shapps is trying some sort of "I hit them back first" tactic before drivers take action in the future over similar problems.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Does the NCU count?
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

mjr wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 4:05pm Yes, Mr Shapps seems to be ranting against train drivers who aren't actually on strike this week.
Of course, I'm assuming evil conspiracy. Maybe he actually doesn't even realise...
gaz

Post by gaz »

francovendee wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 8:07amI'm not referring to the current dispute in the news but wonder if any member has belonged to a Union?
Yes
francovendee wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 8:07amMy second question is have you ever had to join in industrial action against your own views?
No
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Many people join a union simply because of the insurance or legal protection. True of my wife (RCN) and sister (NASUWT). Neither would ever strike. In fact when the RCN 'technically' went on strike some years ago by not being available during lunch hours (or some such device) my wife took holiday rather than be part of it.

And union activity does strange things to people. My sister crossed a picket line when the NUT were on strike but NASUWT were not. A woman she knew fairly well screamed 'scab' at her, to which my sister said 'I'm NASUWT' and walked on.

The next day the NUT woman apologised profusely to my sister and said she didn't know what had come over her. My sister accepted her apologies but never really interacted with her thereafter.

I belong to a professional chartered society which offers insurance and representation. I'd never join a union unless, like my wife and sister, l had to.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Yes and no. Unison.

My wife was a briefly a Civil Servant at the start of her working life. The union she joined was the quaintly named First Division Association.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PH

Post by PH »

I've been a union member about half my working life, always when the employer has recognised and negotiated with the union and a couple of times when they didn't.
I've once been on a strike I voted against, at Fords Dagenham plant in 1978/9, a protest against the Government wage restraint, that winter of discontent. I still think it was the wrong course of action. Not because the cause was wrong, but even in my youth I couldn't see how opposing a Labour Government, even Callaghan's, would lead to anything better, maybe if we'd won, but I didn't think that likely either. Still, I wasn't striking against my view, my view being that I was part of a collective and should follow the decisions made by it.
As a side note and an indication of my astute career choices, I left Ford to Join the coal industry six months later.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

If you are not in a union you will need an exceptional skill set to make a decent living .In general Man makes more progress collectively than would be the case alone eg farming and retail cooperatives, unions and mutual/friendly societies .As for industrial action ,you vote and abide by that decision .The nauseating people oppose action but retain the benefits won when successful.
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

reohn2 wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 8:12am
francovendee wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 8:07am I'm not referring to the current dispute in the news but wonder if any member has belonged to a Union?
Yes
My second question is have you ever had to join in industrial action against your own views?
No
ditto

BMA
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mumbojumbo wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 8:20pm If you are not in a union you will need an exceptional skill set to make a decent living .In general Man makes more progress collectively than would be the case alone eg farming and retail cooperatives, unions and mutual/friendly societies .As for industrial action ,you vote and abide by that decision .The nauseating people oppose action but retain the benefits won when successful.
Less than 25% of employees are unionised. So you're saying 75% of employees have an exceptional skillset? Or that those in unions don't? And farming co-operatives. at least in UK , and which l have some experience of, are nothing like unions.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

francovendee wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 8:07am wonder if any member has belonged to a Union?
Yes, and been at various times caseworker and branch secretary.
My second question is have you ever had to join in industrial action against your own views?
No. I prefer to head them off beforehand where possible.