Does saying "sorry" help?

mattheus

Re: Does saying "sorry" help?

Post by mattheus »

Antbrewer wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 3:38pm
I cannot believe why anyone would not be concerned especially where a child is involved.
How do you know he wasn't concerned?
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Some hypocrisy going on from certain posters on this thread.
If it had been a car/motorbike/HGV/van/bus driver he would have been vilified on here but it's OK because he's a 'cyclist'?
No.
It doesn't work like that.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PedallingSquares wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:14pm Some hypocrisy going on from certain posters on this thread.
If it had been a car/motorbike/HGV/van/bus driver he would have been vilified on here but it's OK because he's a 'cyclist'?
Who said that it was OK?

I see posts suggesting that we don't know what happened.

Jonathan
PedallingSquares

Jdsk wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:18pm
PedallingSquares wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:14pm Some hypocrisy going on from certain posters on this thread.
Who said that it was OK?
Jonathan
pwa wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 5:40pm I think it does. A delivery cyclist who knocked down a four year old boy on a pedestrian street in Cardiff has handed himself in and written a letter of apology.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61883065
Why he didn't hang around in the first place I don't know. Fear, perhaps. But it sounds like he feels bad about what happened and wants to put right what he can put right.
Bonefishblues wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 5:51pm I've been surprised at their sudden prevalence in town & city centres (e-bike delivery cyclists, that is)
And yes, although he should have stopped at the first opportunity, at least this is a first step.
Carlton green wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 8:27am
Tangled Metal wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 8:17am OK so let's get this straight here. Someone left the scene of an accident where someone was injured, it shouldn't matter who but it obviously dies, and we're giving him credit for owning up later? He's written a letter of apology instead of staying at the scene, and we're giving him credit for that? A letter he's no doubt been advised to write to mitigate his actions.
You might well be correct. On the other hand who hasn’t reacted to a situation in a non-optimal way or taken a course of action that they later felt wasn’t right? Of course the person concerned might also have judged that hanging around would endanger their personal safety … events can easily get out of hand.
In general I think that saying sorry does help matters.
Seem to think it's OK to leave but then say sorry.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PedallingSquares wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:28pm
Who said that it was OK?
Jonathan
pwa wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 5:40pm I think it does. A delivery cyclist who knocked down a four year old boy on a pedestrian street in Cardiff has handed himself in and written a letter of apology.
Why he didn't hang around in the first place I don't know. Fear, perhaps. But it sounds like he feels bad about what happened and wants to put right what he can put right.
Bonefishblues wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 5:51pm I've been surprised at their sudden prevalence in town & city centres (e-bike delivery cyclists, that is)
And yes, although he should have stopped at the first opportunity, at least this is a first step.
Tangled Metal wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 8:17am OK so let's get this straight here. Someone left the scene of an accident where someone was injured, it shouldn't matter who but it obviously dies, and we're giving him credit for owning up later? He's written a letter of apology instead of staying at the scene, and we're giving him credit for that? A letter he's no doubt been advised to write to mitigate his actions.
You might well be correct. On the other hand who hasn’t reacted to a situation in a non-optimal way or taken a course of action that they later felt wasn’t right? Of course the person concerned might also have judged that hanging around would endanger their personal safety … events can easily get out of hand.
I don't read any of those as saying that leaving the scene was OK. I see people saying that they don't know what happened, and speculating about the reason why he did.

Jonathan
PedallingSquares

Jdsk wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:32pm
PedallingSquares wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:28pm
Who said that it was OK?
Jonathan
I don't read any of those as saying that leaving the scene was OK. I see people saying that they don't know what happened, and speculating about the reason why he did.

And I read Tangled Metal's as saying that it wasn't OK.

Jonathan
Yes which is why he isn't quoted as he and R2 seem to be the only ones who don't think it's OK :roll:
Last edited by PedallingSquares on 22 Jun 2022, 4:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Please do not quote me as evidence of something when it is abundantly apparent that was not what I was saying. You know - if you read the words like "He should have stopped..." that tends to indicate that my view is that he should have stopped.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:35pm ...
You know - if you read the words like "He should have stopped..." that tends to indicate that my view is that he should have stopped.
Yes, that was clear from your wording.

Jonathan
PedallingSquares

Bonefishblues wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:35pm Please do not quote me as evidence of something when it is abundantly apparent that was not what I was saying. You know - if you read the words like "He should have stopped..." that tends to indicate that my view is that he should have stopped.
Yes but your ther text.....
So do you think saying sorry makes it OK?
PedallingSquares

Jdsk wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:37pm
You know - if you read the words like "He should have stopped..." that tends to indicate that my view is that he should have stopped.

Jonathan
You,as usual,seem to be saying a lot without actually saying a lot.
Simple answer yes or no.
Do you think saying sorry makes it OK?
Last edited by PedallingSquares on 22 Jun 2022, 4:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

When I posted earlier, I hadn't been back to refresh my memory about the report linked in the OP

FWIW, the duties imposed on a driver after an "accident" by the RTA are purely administrative, involving supplying details of identity, insurance etc. They do not include things like giving first aid

They do not apply to a pedal cyclist
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PedallingSquares wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:39pm
Simple answer yes or no.
Jdsk wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 8:51amHe shouldn't have left the scene. Having left the scene he should have contacted the police as soon as possible. If he didn't do that by himself he should have done it after being advised by someone else.
Jonathan
PedallingSquares

Jdsk wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:41pm
PedallingSquares wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:39pm
Simple answer yes or no.
Jdsk wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 8:51amHe shouldn't have left the scene. Having left the scene he should have contacted the police as soon as possible. If he didn't do that by himself he should have done it after being advised by someone else.
Jonathan
Once again,true to form,you do not answer a simple yes or no question.
I won't waste any more of my time on your ramblings.
Thank you.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

FWIW,saying sorry can be a long way from actually being sorry.
Saying sorry costs nowt.
Being sorry costs,sometimes a lot.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PedallingSquares wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:37pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:35pm Please do not quote me as evidence of something when it is abundantly apparent that was not what I was saying. You know - if you read the words like "He should have stopped..." that tends to indicate that my view is that he should have stopped.
Yes but your ther text.....
So do you think saying sorry makes it OK?
Read my post. That is what I mean.

Life exists in shades of grey, some things are no susceptible to binary Yes/No answers...