Does saying "sorry" help?

Tangled Metal

Re: Does saying "sorry" help?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Aha! The opposite of guilty is not guilty in law but innocent could be another term. Do you took he's innocent? I'm assuming in your black and white world you can only have one or the other. So guilty or innocent?

Personally I think he's guilty of riding in a pedestrian city centre, hitting a child and not staying at the scene. Unless I'm mistaken he's admitted to that and written an apology letter admitting to that. So who's finding him guilty? We're discussing the way he's got to his admission of guilt and whether it mitigates his guilt. That's a personal opinion which everyone is free to express. You too!

Exaggerating opinions to try and discredit them seems a bit low. Except from one poster I think most have been pretty fair considering what he's been reported as doing and apologising for.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

mattheus wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 5:03pm Well exactly.
M(r) Squares seems to be picking a fight with his binary views of the world. Does he think he's Paxman??
Not picking a fight at all.As for Binary views,well,unlike some I tend to think one word answers,ie yes or no,are more apt in certain circumstances.There seems to be a trend by some posters to write a mini essay instead.Why use a one word when fifty will do.I believe this is to circumvent actually committing to an answer so they can chop and change to fit in with the crowd.A frequent occurrence on these boards by a small band of posters.It's pretty much the same on most forums and always the same posters on each one and they all have pretty much the same MO in common.It's a pity one can't just delete those types from their personal board as the 'foe' option just shows they have posted but no text.This is better than nothing so at least one can bypass the chaff.

BTW it is Mr :wink:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Guilty as charged.

Is this post short enough? 😆
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

No
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

We live in an analogue world not a binary world, but the world is easier to cope with when we simply things to binary mode. Unfortunately simplistic yes or no answers can (sometimes) be inadequate for the purposes of usefully answering a question, and questions do need useful answers rather than just a response.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Sometimes.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

PedallingSquares wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 6:28am
M(r) Squares seems to be picking a fight with his binary views of the world. Does he think he's Paxman??
Not picking a fight at all.As for Binary views,well,unlike some I tend to think one word answers,ie yes or no,are more apt in certain circumstances.There seems to be a trend by some posters to write a mini essay instead.Why use a one word when fifty will do.I believe this is to circumvent actually committing to an answer so they can chop and change to fit in with the crowd.A frequent occurrence on these boards by a small band of posters.It's pretty much the same on most forums and always the same posters on each one and they all have pretty much the same MO in common.It's a pity one can't just delete those types from their personal board as the 'foe' option just shows they have posted but no text.This is better than nothing so at least one can bypass the chaff.

Have you stopped beating your wife?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Bonefishblues wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 8:12amNo
?
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cugel wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 8:47am
?
!
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

PedallingSquares wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 6:28am

Why not just post a black or white square, when you have something to, er, "say"? This will give us all a full understanding of your thinking on the matter. :-)

Of course, some wordy goat will have to write many words to describe the matter so you can understand what it is you're making your binary opinion about. I volunteer! How many words in a row are you prepared to read? I can put them into proper sentences, with gaps between them; and also use paragraphs, me.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Antbrewer wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 3:38pm Running away from an accident to a child is unforgivable at any time. A genuine accident is hardly wanton and deliberate where a quick escape might be required.
I cannot believe why anyone would not be concerned especially where a child is involved. Obviously we do not know all the facts of the incident but we all have a conscience. Shame on him
I suspect the Swedish couple who knocked down and killed a child whilst driving through a village in Ethiopa and had their own child dragged from the car and murdered in front of them (an eye for an eye - as directed by the Bible) might disagree.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Bonefishblues wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 8:50am
?
!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Airsporter1st wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 9:01am

?
!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 9:02am
Airsporter1st wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 9:01am

!
Best response :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Does it make it worse that it was child that was injured? It's there a hierarchy within our species in terms of seriousness? It seems so with the emphasis on it being a child that was injured.