Brake cutoff & drop bars?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Vantage

Brake cutoff & drop bars?

Post by Vantage »

Morning folks.
I've bought the brake sensor kit for my Bafang BB0S1b and wonder has anyone used it successfully with drop bar brake levers?
The only way I can think of mounting the kit is in the photo, but alas, this way isn't working. As far as I can tell, the flat face of the magnet needs to be in contact with the long face of the sensor and I can't see a way of doing that.
Can anyone help please?
IMG_20220623_092737.jpg
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
PH

Re: Brake cutoff & drop bars?

Post by PH »

Someone I occasionally ride with has the cut off on the rear brake cable along the top tube, I haven't looked closely, but asked what it was and that's what they told me.
several others I ride with, haven't bothered and don't consider it necessary, I have no experience either way.
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

Yours is not an inline brake cut out is it? The one that sits within the brake cable. Is there room for the magnet to sit beneath the brake lever, within the hood? It may not fit or be strong enough but other, smaller and more powerful magnets might work?
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Fixed it!
Similar thoughts to yours five bikes. I filed a slot in the plastic just below the rubber hood. The magnet is stuck there. I've yet to test ride but the lcd screen shows it working. If it works in practice, I'll try to permanently fix it there with a screw through the magnet and into the remaining plastic.
Diabetes has cursed my attempts to get out today.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

Excellent! I guess the brake cut out is a reed switch that activates when the influence of the magnet is lost?
Maybe a strong adhesive will hold the magnet in place?
Glad it’s sorted!
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

I noticed that many kits like the Swytch kit have brake sensors as an option or include brake levers with cutout switches but state you don't have to use them. Is there some difference to how long it takes for a torque sensor to cut out the motor compared to a cadence sensor when you stop pedalling. It seems common on hub motors with cadence sensors to just not bother with brake cut-off sensors for road bikes and also many don't bother who have hydraulic disc brakes because don't want to stick on the brake sensors which can look a bit naff. You see cadence sensor discs that vary the number of magnets to give you finer control on how they sense cadence speed or stop assisting. Also with road bikes I think many go for a lighter small geared hub motor like Swytch to keep weight down.