Cash v Contactless use in France?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MrsHJ

Re: Cash v Contactless use in France?

Post by MrsHJ »

speedsixdave wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 9:58pm Also just back from France and Germany. France was almost entirely card- or contactless-friendly, even in little bakeries etc, but as noted above with the exception of (a) some chambres d'hotes, even when booked via Booking.com and (b) tourist tax in some places. I'd keep a hundred Euros cash in your wallet for just in case.

Germany was, surprisingly for me, still much more cash-based, especially in pubs and bars. I'm sure they'd have got the card machine out if I'd actually had no cash but lots of places were still the barmaid with the big black wallet. Felt kinda retro in 2022.
I rather think the German thing is a long term issue they have with credit. I think I may have heard that it dates back a long way to the hyper inflation of the 1930s but I could be wrong. I certainly have read in the past that in Germany if you run an online shop many of them let you pay by cheque or other non credit systems. No idea if that’s still the case but certainly a heavily cash based economy compared to much of Europe.

My general observation on this thread is that whereas I assumed that touring we’d all have fairly similar needs (supermarket, trains, camping or hotels, restaurants and ice cream/bakeries) actually our requirements are quite different. Presumably that’s just the different way we run our financial lives and what works for us. I use so little cash that the £200 limit on some cards is absolutely fine by me so I won’t need an advance on a credit card due to using up my revolut capacity (but of course I might have to take a different approach in Germany).
Steve X

Re: France - cash or contactless?

Post by Steve X »

al_yrpal wrote: 27 May 2022, 5:38pm I always use my Halifax Clarity card to draw out a lot of Euros as a cash advance...no fees, and then pay the tiny amount of interest charges when I get home. Beats any other method.

Al
I use the App, to pay off, the moment it appears in my Credit Card account.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I live in a small French village. Bakers, Chemist, Bar, Restaurant, Florist, hairdresser, Art shop and Jewellery shop. All take cashless.
The only shop where cards aren't accepted is in the Antique (Junk!) shop;
I've gone for several weeks without having cash on me.
I use a Revolut card and the 200€ cash withdrawal per month isn't a problem for me as I don't use cash in my daily life.
I make sure I have €s when out of the area, just in case I find somewhere that only deals in cash.
I've rarely needed it and notes can stay in my wallet for weeks.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Also beware in France that some ATMs charge for cash withdrawals.

I made 3 free small withdrawals, but at one bank they wanted €5 for s €50 withdrawal. Probably a standard 5 for all withdrawals. They show amount and give option to abandon. I did.

I walked up the road and next one was free.
misterrea

Post by misterrea »

Just got back from France used mainly cash which was ok for camping . will say you can use contact less but charges can apply use Revoult or similiar . avoid Credit Agricole ATM's they charge the most and exchange rate is very bad, Sadly they also seem to be most numerous
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

MrsHJ wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 10:07pm
speedsixdave wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 9:58pm Also just back from France and Germany. France was almost entirely card- or contactless-friendly, even in little bakeries etc, but as noted above with the exception of (a) some chambres d'hotes, even when booked via Booking.com and (b) tourist tax in some places. I'd keep a hundred Euros cash in your wallet for just in case.

Germany was, surprisingly for me, still much more cash-based, especially in pubs and bars. I'm sure they'd have got the card machine out if I'd actually had no cash but lots of places were still the barmaid with the big black wallet. Felt kinda retro in 2022.
I rather think the German thing is a long term issue they have with credit. I think I may have heard that it dates back a long way to the hyper inflation of the 1930s but I could be wrong. I certainly have read in the past that in Germany if you run an online shop many of them let you pay by cheque or other non credit systems. No idea if that’s still the case but certainly a heavily cash based economy compared to much of Europe.

My general observation on this thread is that whereas I assumed that touring we’d all have fairly similar needs (supermarket, trains, camping or hotels, restaurants and ice cream/bakeries) actually our requirements are quite different. Presumably that’s just the different way we run our financial lives and what works for us. I use so little cash that the £200 limit on some cards is absolutely fine by me so I won’t need an advance on a credit card due to using up my revolut capacity (but of course I might have to take a different approach in Germany).
Also the great Currency Reform where the government wiped 90% off the value of investments didn't help.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
mjr

Post by mjr »

misterrea wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 12:32pm Just got back from France used mainly cash which was ok for camping . will say you can use contact less but charges can apply use Revoult or similiar . avoid Credit Agricole ATM's they charge the most and exchange rate is very bad, Sadly they also seem to be most numerous
Surely you should not be paying the ATM's exchange rate with cards like Revolut, Clarity or Caxton? Tell the ATM to charge your card in € and walk away if it insists on charging in £ and doing its own exchange.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.