“New” cyclist

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Shakay

Re: “New” cyclist

Post by Shakay »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 12:54pm If you're an existing iPhone user, the Apple watch is a good fit. Lot's of clever features, lots of fun apps that go with cycling / fitness.

I am indeed an iPhone user! Girlfriend has a watch but I don’t!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Shakay wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 1:31pm
simonineaston wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 12:54pm If you're an existing iPhone user, the Apple watch is a good fit. Lot's of clever features, lots of fun apps that go with cycling / fitness.

I am indeed an iPhone user! Girlfriend has a watch but I don’t!
On iPhone one app I find very useful (as in use it all the time) is MapOut On AppStore: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mapout/id477094081 and developed's site: https://mapout.app

Has what I and many others regard as the clearest, easiest to read mapping of any computer based map display. It's a one time purchase (£4-50'ish) and that includes all mapping (the world?) incl. contours. Includes cycle paths overlay, public footpaths, contours, etc.. Developed by and designed for cyclists and walkers. Very strong on displaying altitude profiles either along a route/track or as a straight section through hills. Has an amazing 3D hills display (as you rock your phone) - very pretty but I don't find that feature useful.

It will record your track as you cycle - press "Record" just before starting and "Stop" when finished and you have your track over a map, distance, climb, descent, etc. It's all done locally so from a privacy perspective your track is not uploaded to some servers anywhere. You can use the iPhone Share Extensions to send the track to laptop, e-mail, etc. if you so chose or just leave it and view it in the app.

You download the maps (select what areas you want) over Wi-Fi then it's all local on the iPhone (no GSM data or anything needed). Maps take-up surprisingly little space. I've got vast areas of the world loaded only my iPhone without space issues (and the mapping is free).

You can send routes created elsewhere (e.g. https://cycle.travel) to the app (several ways e.g. by e-mail) and they can be displayed over the map (coloured line over map).

It's been around for quite a few years now and is stable without issues and still being maintained by developer with periodic enhancements. Maps are updated generally monthly but not on and fixed schedule (check for updates using the Settings menu inside the app.

Some people love getting away from technology when going cycling, love being "disconnected" (no phones, none of the tech stuff). Others find it another interesting aspect to their cycling. No "right way", each to their own on this.

Quite a few contributors on this forum use it.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Shakay wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 10:39amOne of my friends suggested getting some slime for the tyres?
Lots in the archives:
search.php?keywords=slime&submit=Search

I don't. I carry levers that I know will do the job, puncture repair stuff, at least one spare tube, and a pump.

Jonathan
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Make sure your happy to change a tube or fix a puncture.

I have a pair of wheels I don't ride too far on as they are tubeless ready aka a pain to get tyres on and off.

Puncture locally might involve a mildly cross misses, but if far away a very cross misses and make your own way home!!!
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I’ve only had a quick scan through, but has anybody mentioned Strava? It’s a widely used app for recording your rides and is free if you are only using it to log rides. You can record them on the Strava app on your phone or you can link it to your Smart watch or Garmin/Wahoo.

Smartphone will be fine for short rides, but a low end Garmin like the Edge 130 will give you on the bike stats and record your ride as you go along, which can then be uploaded to Garmin Connect and Strava.

My wife has the FX2 ladies version and it’s a good bike, but we found the Bontrager tyres to be prone to punctures and upgraded them to to Vittoria Randonneurs, which are more puncture proof. Schwalbe Marathons would also improve puncture resistance.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Shakay

Post by Shakay »

Thanks! I’m taking all the information in! Have downloaded Strava and used it for a run the the shop 😅

One thing is I have seen the Dualsport 1 and 2 in my bike shop too for the same price (dualsport one reduced to £160 less that FX)
From my knowledge the FX is a better bike for what would like. Just to confirm as you guys have far superior knowledge than anyone!

Just want to clarify before I lock in my purchase.

I know the Dualsport is more versatile, but would it make a big difference in “absorbing” pedal power/speed!

Apologies for all the probably silly questions! But I want to do it right!
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

fastpedaller wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 11:46am A simple computer may be better than strava or similar? An app is all very well, but there is security to bear in mind - some cyclists have come home to find their other bikes in the shed have been stolen whilst they were out ! Too much online presence (eg photos of my bike collection on Facebook, and someone being able to track that I've left home can be a very bad thing :(
Strava let’s you set a privacy zone of up to several miles from your house or workplace , so nobody can see where you live or where your rides start. You can also keep your rides completely private, so that only you can see them, or you can allow people that you know and trust to follow you and make your rides available to your followers. All done in the security settings in Strava.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

TrevA wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 6:22pm
fastpedaller wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 11:46am A simple computer may be better than strava or similar? An app is all very well, but there is security to bear in mind - some cyclists have come home to find their other bikes in the shed have been stolen whilst they were out ! Too much online presence (eg photos of my bike collection on Facebook, and someone being able to track that I've left home can be a very bad thing :(
Strava let’s you set a privacy zone of up to several miles from your house or workplace , so nobody can see where you live or where your rides start. You can also keep your rides completely private, so that only you can see them, or you can allow people that you know and trust to follow you and make your rides available to your followers. All done in the security settings in Strava.
Did you see the other thread raising reports
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/21/strava-users-spy-israeli-military-fake-routes-in-bases wrote:... – was able to keep tabs on individuals who were exercising on the bases, even those who have applied the strongest possible account privacy settings.
My settings flag my rides as "completely private" yet 3rd party external apps can get at then no problems. The privacy zones are better in that regard but for me tended to put my departure/arrival at the edge of the zone so each ride was safe but look ar accumulated rides and not so safe (in a rural setting).

Ian
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

We :D lcome!
I loath mobiles but I will say that it may be worth using one to start with if you have one. You can keep all the data you want (I won't say need :lol: ) and use it for navigation. It's suitability is a whole new can of worms. Buy a cycling specific tool later. Keeping tabs of the milegae canbe handy if that motivates you. I used a long thin calender for years, cats but other themes are possible, but swapped to Strava as I didn't forget to log it.
I would say ride some where nice to start with, keeping to quiet roads.
Commuting can be great. I need a complete change of clothes so leave shoes etc there and take in the rest daily. Cycling specifc kit does have one advantage, personal preference aside, it washes and dries quickly compared to even polycotton. As the year goes gradually top up with winter kit. Look out for sales. Places like Planet X can have some real bargains but their pricing strategy is "unusual". Chain Reaction/Wiggle (same people) are pretty good. Own brand clothing is usually fine. If you go for cycling specific shoes beware of the Muddy Fox stuff. Ballet shoes are more robust and stiffer. Even Lidl and Aldi have some good stuuf along with some junk.
As here. Specifc questions will work best.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Shakay wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 6:14pm Thanks! I’m taking all the information in! Have downloaded Strava and used it for a run the the shop 😅

One thing is I have seen the Dualsport 1 and 2 in my bike shop too for the same price (dualsport one reduced to £160 less that FX)
From my knowledge the FX is a better bike for what would like. Just to confirm as you guys have far superior knowledge than anyone!

I know the Dualsport is more versatile, but would it make a big difference in “absorbing” pedal power/speed!

[/quote]

Clearly the choice between the FX and the Dualsport is about the mix of terrain you’re going to be riding, per the maker’s blurb. If gravel tracks are going to be a regular feature, the Dualsport will mean less concentrating on avoiding potholes and more enjoying the scenery than on the FX where you need to watch your course and speed when such obstacles are likely. The shock absorbing fork adds weight, complexity (i.e. something to go wrong) and expense. The Dualsport fork has a lockout function, so this should mean you can set it to behave like a conventional fork for on-road riding. The wheels are the same, but you’re getting quite a fat 700x40 tyre on the Dualsport.

MTB-ers and roadies aren’t natural enemies, but if the former are going to hurtle around the lanes in black Audi estates with a loaded towbar or roof rack on the way to/from the trail centre and close pass the roadies, well things are going to get flakey aren’t they.

Bike fora are full of “Help! I can’t stop my cable disc brakes rubbing” queries: get the hydraulics if you can. I prefer rim brakes, but this is the sort of choice we argue about long into the night. Discs exert more braking power (?but exceeds your tyre traction, so you skid) and will also do so in wet or muddy conditions.

I use Outdoor Active for navigation - I was originally on ViewRanger, which was better. Anyway, this gives you OS maps and your location on your smartphone. Beware of activating ‘phone tracking, because this can leave you with a low or dead battery after a couple of hours.

I was impressed by Mr Trek’s on-line parts list. I’d recommend ordering the relevant touch-up paint. It would be worth remembering the 14g 292mm spokes and the part no of the derailleur hanger for should you ever need them.

If the shop offers a check-up 3 or 4 weeks after purchase, take them up on it. Cables stretch and bolts randomly loosen.

Finally, who is this Rockerfeller repeatedly saying inner tubes are “cheap”?? Keep an eye on Planet X for these as the stock and prices vary continuously and Ebay is often your friend, I find. You’re doing well at less than £4 a pop. Like Allen keys, you can’t have enough inner tubes.

Carry 2 tubes and try to do repairs at home. This subject is to many cyclists like MacBeth is to actors.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Shakay

Post by Shakay »

Cugel wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 10:14pm The best things to get are knowledge and experience, for example: how to take out and replace an inner tube on the road, including blowing up the tyre to about the right pressure; how to position your cycling self in traffic; how to anticipate what gear you'll need to be in as the road ahead changes or you have to negotiate things like turns, traffic lights and so forth.

Naturally, you'll want to acquire physical additions to make the cycling better. Contact point stuff is a good place to start: track mits/gloves; shoes with perhaps matching "clipless" pedals; a saddle that suits your nether (and maybe even a suspension seatpost)
Turning right and roundabouts are my only major worry at busy times! Bit of research and practice will sure help!

Appreciate the reminder of the basics and necessities!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I started cycling as a boy in the fifties.....before "teenagers" were invented.
Let me introduce you to the fifties.....its a country outside the experience of most of you.
Most ordinary families didn't have a car, (I remember when two families in our street had cars) so your Mum didn't give you a lift, cycling was something that boys did, to get to your mates house, to get to football, to the woods, to school. Ordinary working folk got to work either on their bike, or public transport. Cycling wasn't a "lifestyle choice" because like teenagers, lifestyle choices hadn't been invented.
We didn't go hungry, but there wasn't a great deal of spare cash, and no instant credit; you could buy a house with a mortgage and (relatively) expensive stuff like a bike on hire purchase, but ordinary shopping (food and clothes) was cash.
The first bit of "cycling gear" I had was a jumper in "club colours" which my grandmother knitted for my Christmas present.....she knitted us kids a jumper each Christmas, and we were pleased because you could have what you wanted, and it was cold...no central heating or double glazing, a coal fire in the living room and that was it. (It was years later that I found out Mum bought the wool, because Grandma couldn't afford it,,,,but I digress.)
So you see I know that cycling is among the most simple of pleasures.
It can be an all-consuming lifestyle, but it doesn't have to be.
It certainly doesn't have to be a "retail opportunity"....you can buy "all the gear" but you don't have to, and for me it contributes little to the enjoyment.
You can log all your rides, but for me maintaining something like that is a penance and I won't do it.
At least one long-standing member of this forum keeps a map with every (local) road he has ridden inked in....that appeals to me more than logging "data".
Wear a helmet if you want to.....but people who have studied it say that helmet wearing isn't even in the first ten things which would make cycling safer. (note that they are sold on "style" not injury prevention)
Buy "cycling gear" if you want, but please wear bright, eye-catching colours not BLACK; I think being seen is a better safety system than wearing a helmet. I wear (some) cycling clothing these days because its more comfortable and colourful.
Get your bike, set it up so you are comfortable riding it (see my DIY bike fit piece linked below) and just ride it. At first, just ride it like you rode your first bike as a kid.....finding out where all your local streets went, and where they joined up.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I reckon I must be about ten years younger than 531, but growing up ten years later wasn’t hugely different, and I would echo his advice to keep it simple.

Stuff to add to a basic bike:

- tool kit, pump and spare tubes;

- water bottle;

- bell;

- lights;

- D-lock;

- either a decent sized saddlebag or a rack and small panniers to carry the following;

- lightweight and hi-vis waterproof jacket;

- gloves;

- lunch;

- paper OS map for when all gizmos fail.

Wear very bright colours on the road. Wear a helmet (it is one of the ten things that you personally can do to improve safety, and although it will hopefully never need to be decisive it is cheap and imposes no dis-benefit). Do basic bikability training.

Go for bike rides, because there is no substitute for practice, and it’s flippin good fun.

Explore, by which I mean don’t be afraid to go on bridleways, towpaths, etc etc, rather than just roads.

Motivation is an interesting thing in the longer term. Some people ‘click’ with cycling, just love it so much that wind, rain, hills, cold etc don’t matter, others don’t seem to, and it isn’t a fitness thing, I’m not super-fit, but you can’t keep me off of bikes. You’ll only know when the weather starts to turn in October whether you’ve ‘clicked’ or not!
Last edited by Nearholmer on 26 Jun 2022, 9:12am, edited 1 time in total.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Shakay wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 6:07pm Hi all,

To cut a long story short, lived in a flat with no storage, now me and my girlfriend have moved and I’ve been borrowing father in laws bike for a few weeks!
Fell in love cycling again and am now going to pick up my new bike next week
(Either a TREK FX1 or FX2, just finishing research)

I was wondering if anyone has general beginner advise for me?

I will be riding it 1-2 times a week to work and a lot on short journeys/fun rides with girlfriend and general fitness (12 mile A-road and country roads) and hopefully progressively more as I become fitter.

I would like to keep a log of the miles I do, and see all the distance and times etc!
So was hoping somebody could recommend a good gadget or app? (Nothing to pricey just yet)

Secondly is there anything anyone would recommend getting from the get go, other than a helmet of course!

Any tips and advise will be greatly appreciated,

Thank you in advance!
Not read all the answers but as lont time commuter cyclist this is my go to list;

Waterproofs
Lights
Capacity to carry work gear
Mudguards
Security, locks etc
Things to consider
Changing facilities
Can you leave some basic clothes?
Shoes
DRY socks is a definite (I hate sitting around in wet socks)
Trousers
Towel basic wash kit
What about showers?
Basic tool kit / pumcture repair / spare inner tubes
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Like Colin, I grew up in the fifties. I rode five miles to school every morning with the flap of my schoolbag fastened over the crossbar (didn't have phunny Transatlantic names for the bits back then, and the only honking we did was after a crafty smoke round the back of the bike sheds). I wore school uniform there and back, and for rain protection I had a cape and a sou'wester. If it rained, hard luck. I had a small padlock & chain and a puncture outfit (Dunlop Long Cycle) in my saddlebag, a pump in the frame and that was it.

No reason you shouldn't do the same. Other than the BFO D-Lock, of course. O tempora! O mores!*

* this is Latin for "can we have some more battered prawns, please?"
Have we got time for another cuppa?