Cycling Calais to Brussels - routes and hotels

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
BelgianWaffle38

Cycling Calais to Brussels - routes and hotels

Post by BelgianWaffle38 »

Hello,

new member here. Was told this was a good place for touring etc. I am looking to do London to Brussels this summer as I have quite a lot of family in the city. However it will be my first proper tour and I'm looking for some advice on the route and the hotels that I should use from Calais to Brussels. Can be gravel as well.

Looking for a hotel somewhere equidistant between Calais and Brussels. Any suggestions / tips / pointers much appreciated.

Thanks.
Kevin67

Re: Cycling Calais to Brussels - routes and hotels

Post by Kevin67 »

For hotels i usually use booking .com. i pick 3 or 4 hotels in my pricerange and location then email them asking about bike storage overnight.

Most will store them either in the room or a enclosed space.

Regarding routes do a route search on komoot or RWGPS

Belgium is a great place for cycling. Cycleways everywhere
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

You may want to consider Dunkirk instead of Calais. Bike friendly ferry and port easier to access for bikes.

Someone will no doubt be along with a detailed route, but when I cycled this some years ago, I went up the coast then some sightseeing towns eg Bruges and Ghent. Came back more inland via Ypres - but I'm happy to ride on the road if necessary.

You can take bikes on the tube in Brussels if you want to avoid the manic traffic, but check restrictions.
BelgianWaffle38

simonhill wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 12:32pm You may want to consider Dunkirk instead of Calais. Bike friendly ferry and port easier to access for bikes.

Someone will no doubt be along with a detailed route, but when I cycled this some years ago, I went up the coast then some sightseeing towns eg Bruges and Ghent. Came back more inland via Ypres - but I'm happy to ride on the road if necessary.

You can take bikes on the tube in Brussels if you want to avoid the manic traffic, but check restrictions.
Thanks, yeah there seems to be a good hostel in Ghent, which takes bikes, otherwise need to do some more research. I also hadn't thought about going to Dunkirk, seems like a no brainer. Cycling near Calais looks like a right headache.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I would agree that Dunkerque is a better option if you are headed to Belgium.
I would suggest that you try to avoid going with the rest of the ferry traffic .
There is a roundabout where you need to go straight ahead (towards Mardyk) and you need to be in the left hand side of your lane (with the HGV's :( ) otherwise you will be forced to go right with the rest of the traffic which will lead to a circuitous route.
After going ahead turn right at the T junction and follow the road where you find the main road to Dunkerque (cycle lane ) or cross the main road and pick up some of the quieter minor roads.
As it happens Calais is OK for cycling ( IMO French drivers are a bit more considerate to cyclists) and if you know the way you can pick up a canal side route at the back of the town hall leading to quieter roads.
The other advantage of Dunkerque on your return is that you can stay inside the terminal building and watch your ferry arrive. Leave your bike in the queue and go when called. Much better if it's raining.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

https://cycle.travel/ is good for planning routes and for finding accommodation near the route.
Richard M
Cardiff
BelgianWaffle38

Does anyone know if there is a cycle touring forum for Belgium? I can't seem to find one, only dutch and french come up.
BelgianWaffle38

richardfm wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 5:12pm https://cycle.travel/ is good for planning routes and for finding accommodation near the route.
Thanks, that looks promising
skeltrike

Post by skeltrike »

Ghent is about halfway, there is an Ibis right next to the cathedral in the centre with a secure underground car park with a bike store, fairly cheap. Belgium has great quiet cycle routes so it should be enjoyable. :)
mjr

Post by mjr »

ANTONISH wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 4:55pm I would agree that Dunkerque is a better option if you are headed to Belgium.
I would suggest that you try to avoid going with the rest of the ferry traffic .
There is a roundabout where you need to go straight ahead (towards Mardyk) and you need to be in the left hand side of your lane (with the HGV's :( ) otherwise you will be forced to go right with the rest of the traffic which will lead to a circuitous route.
I think the layout may have changed since you did it. You now need to go left at a first roundabout, leaving the cycle lane to nowhere before the port gate, mixing with HGVs, then right at a second and straight over a third. Only then does a short gravel road on the right lead to byways to the D601 cycleway at Loon Plage. It's then through Grande Synthe on urban streets before joining another D601 cycleway which continues through Dunkerque to the border and the great Belgian cycle network.

I second other suggestions of visiting Gent. Visit Bruges before and Aalst after for a good sightseeing route that's almost the shortest.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.