Pannier inserts

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jdsk

Re: Pannier inserts

Post by Jdsk »

leftpoole wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 11:44am Regarding comments about weight from people who do not actually have these Ortlieb https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggageortl ... -panniers/ .. I actually have these. Very lightweight. Very useful. Very good in use. I sold my Ortlieb panniers now I can no longer cycle. I kept the inserts to use with my Motorcycle panniers.
Again I repeat, very light, very useful.
It is always a good idea to read and absorb comments from people who actually own and use things the questions relate to!
Screenshot 2022-06-27 at 11.46.46.png

Jonathan
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

You don't need to own the specific product to make meaninful comment about the practice of compartmentalising luggage space. People might not have the Ortlieb but they do have experience of loaded campig cycle touring and a wide variety of different types of container within container.

Ian
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Psamathe wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 12:38pm You don't need to own the specific product to make meaninful comment about the practice of compartmentalising luggage space. People might not have the Ortlieb but they do have experience of loaded campig cycle touring and a wide variety of different types of container within container.

Ian
I have had many years (approx 45) camping and cycling with luggage. Compartmentalising using poly bags etc.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

leftpoole wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 12:43pm
Psamathe wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 12:38pm You don't need to own the specific product to make meaninful comment about the practice of compartmentalising luggage space. People might not have the Ortlieb but they do have experience of loaded campig cycle touring and a wide variety of different types of container within container.

Ian
I have had many years (approx 45) camping and cycling with luggage. Compartmentalising using poly bags etc. So, I do know.
I wonder if you are assuming the way you manage packing is the only way and the way everybody uses and that anybody that does not do things the way you do does not know what they are talking about. One of the strengths of this forum is there are enough people with experience who do things in a variety of different ways and have different experience. I really like my cabled disk brakes and I sometimes express that view and experience, but others disagree, disliking them. Neither of us is wrong and it is up to others to decide how they do things, what aspects are important to them, etc.

Ian
scragend

Post by scragend »

I've long been a convert to packing cubes for packing suitcases etc. I've just been on a tour to the Netherlands and while preparing saw the Ortlieb pannier inserts advertised. I was tempted but couldn't justify the cost.

I just used my normal packing cubes. They're soft and the clothes that are in them are soft so they can squish into the pannier a bit. Wasted space isn't really a factor for me because I don't have the panniers totally full anyway.

I just prefer having things kept separate within the panniers, makes it easier to get out just the thing that you want instead of ferreting around inside the pannier looking for it.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

But, to be fair, leftpoole's comment was particularly about weight rather than the general practice of how to split up one's luggage. How much more these Ort thingies weigh compared to some random assortment of stuffsacks or whatever isn't something you can tell by just looking at the picture, and since I'd guess nobody much is using Orts because they're the lightest luggage solution going (though they're certainly not the heaviest), and since what you take is always a compromise, it sounds like a fair riposte to suggestions that they're more weight than they warrant.
Wouldn't bother with these myself as previously noted, but the comment made seems like a fair riposte to someone saying "they look a bit heavy to me". Of course, an actual measured weight would be more useful...

Pete.
Last edited by pjclinch on 27 Jun 2022, 3:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Back to general comments, I prefer stuffsacks to packing cubes like these suggested because it's a lot easier to vary the effective volumes. If e.g. the Clean Laundry bag is a lightweight stuffsack you gradually empty it and the spare bit of bag folds away in to very little space, while a structured packing cube like these that is designed to fill a pannier is at its most effective when it's a constant volume.
Of course, some things keep the same volume like tent and pit, but for us these go in their own bags anyway and are easy to find so aren't such obvious contenders for packing cubes.

Everyone's tour MO will vary, of course, but for mine I've found organisation of loads can vary day to day according to what I think I'll need and when (e.g., hot and no real chance of rain I can bury my waterproofs, deluge I can bury the suncream, how I pack food will depend on how crushable it is and how long until I eat it, and so on), so I'm not that keen on a "blue things will be in the middle packing cube of the left rear pannier" approach.
Also worth bearing in mind is if you have 4 panniers and rack space that already gives you quite a bit of compartmentalisation scope, and if there's two of you you can work this even more.

Pete.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Blimey- I spend a day at work and things have blown up in the pannier insert thread??!
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Most packing is logical in that one places the heaviest and last to be used items in the bottom of the packs - or whatever is being used - and work up.
[removed by moderator]
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Insulting comments & sniping have been removed.

Please argue nicely.

Thanks!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

leftpoole wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 11:44am
MrsHJ wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 12:33pm I didn’t realise these were a thing. I’m highly organised in my panniers these days when touring (didn’t used to be but it makes it easier especially with ortlieb buckets). I already pack my stuff into a clothes bag, electronics bag, toiletries, waterproofs bag, repair kit etc ( the small stuff goes in £2 vegetable repeat use bags from sainsbos). I can see some benefits to a fitted insert as it should match the pattern of the panniers and avoid those annoying gaps you tend to get. Anyone got one and are they useful or just a gimmick?

Couple of a examples:
Vaude. https://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Equipment/B ... =124260690
Ortlieb https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggageortl ... -panniers/
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggageortl ... =NOOrtlieb .. I actually have these. Very lightweight. Very useful. Very good in use. I sold my Ortlieb panniers now I can no longer cycle. I kept the inserts to use with my Motorcycle panniers.
Again I repeat, very light, very useful.
It is always a good idea to read and absorb comments from people who actually own and use things the questions relate to!
My bold above.

Yes, in making up your mind about things it’s always a good idea to listen to the alternative points of view of people who have actually tackled the same - or similar - issue; that way you can benefit from their experience. Of course there are usually many alternative ways of achieving the same end objective and some ways will suit some people more than other ways. YMMV is true of so many things.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
freiston

Post by freiston »

My inclination is that the packing inserts would work well for particular packing requirements/methodology that I just don't have.

I'm always trying to be organised but I'm often changing my "pattern", trying to improve things ergo I am not organised because I can never remember how I packed things this time (a slight exaggeration - there are elements of this but there are some consistencies too).

I cycle-camp and tend to go heavy rather than light and so my luggage/packing requirements go beyond a change of clothes and some electronics. I try to organise my panniers into "rooms" so that I have a sleeping/bedroom pannier, a cooking/kitchen pannier, a clothing/wardrobe/electronics pannier and a food/pantry pannier. Accommodation (tent), stool, waterproof cape and crocs go on the rear rack. Often I modify this on account of space needed, weight distribution and variations in stuff taken.

Stuff that I might need on the move goes into the large internal "organiser" pockets in my rear panniers (this includes 1st aid kit, toilet trowel/paper, fruit squash for the water bottle, bike lock & snacks). My bar bag has my powerbank, charging leads, camera, binoculars and whatever odds & sods I might need that will fit.

I've attached some pictures of the pocket of my rear pannier - it is external to the main drawstring closure compartment but covered by the main "lid" flap. It has an internal flap that has organiser pockets on it. They're quite big pockets but I'm not sure that this shows in the photos (11" x 9" and 3" front to back at the top, tapering to 1½" at the bottom)

A fair bit of my stuff would be too big and bulky (e.g. big sleeping mat & Trangia) to fit nicely into one of those inserts or would not make the best use of the available space if it did go into one.

I use a combination of rubble bags, Exped drybags (clean & dirty clothes), nylon bags/pouches (electronics, sewing/repair kit, 1st aid kit) and assorted plastic bags - usually good strong freezer bags (usually for stuff that I don't want to contaminate other stuff, or for waterproofing). I always have a roll of pedal bin liners for rubbish and other uses.
Psamathe wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 12:48pm No experience myself but video review might be of interest
https://youtu.be/n-vibDWZMmQ

Ian
One of my favourite Youtube channels :)
Attachments
IMG_5563.JPG
IMG_5562.JPG
IMG_5561.JPG
IMG_5560.JPG
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)