Glastonbury, you will not see me there.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Glastonbury, you will not see me there.

Post by Jdsk »

Cugel wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 6:20pmPS I'm sure it was an overloud Traffic concert at Lancaster Uni that made me the deaf-lugs I am now.
Could forty thousand headmen make you change your mind about your preferred impairment?

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Dingdong wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 5:07pm
al_yrpal wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 8:26am I go for the music and to hear the sort of stuff I like I go to the End of the Road Festival. Its where a lot of indie musicians go to hear interesting stuff. All the elements of Glasto are there on a much smaller scale. I have been to festivals in Europe too, Best kept Secret and Primavera Sound in Porto a couple of times. Getting behind the scenes can be interesting.

Al
It's also linked to Scientology: three of the directors of the company that runs the festival are known Scientologists. It's rumoured they bankroll small festivals like this as a future cash cow to fund their nefarious organisation. Many of the "indie" artists who play there are also Scientologists. See this article on the NME.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/various- ... 17-1269057
I remember being accosted for a 'donation' from some Hari Krishna guy, but not aware of any brainwashing going on? Seems a bit tenuous. Who knows where any festivals profits really go despite the virtue signalling.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

simonineaston wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 6:21pmMacca played a blinder, apparently - bless 'im. Good to hear.
I'm guessing that you didn't see him and you're just quoting a review, then ?

No, he didn't play a blinder by any means, but the crowd was 100% behind him and happy to ignore the fact that he can barely sing these days.

But he had a good run through at his back catalogue, and for that alone he was well worth seeing.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Dingdong wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 7:00am I did Glastonbury for ten years straight (both for work and for pleasure), and always found it funny that all the Vegans and tree huggers who were raving about the experience, and had no idea that 2 days after the event ended it returned very efficiently to its intended purpose: a big old beef and dairy farm :lol:
Why do folk always assume vegans don't know how the world operates around them? Of course they know what a farm is for when it is not being a festival site.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

DaveReading wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 7:47pm No, he didn't play a blinder by any means, but the crowd was 100% behind him and happy to ignore the fact that he can barely sing these days.

But he had a good run through at his back catalogue, and for that alone he was well worth seeing.
Can't comment on Macca, not a Beatles fan and haven't checked it out on iPlayer yet.

For my part I'd like to see some of the oldies slip quietly into retirement. I'm still working my way through all the bands but Wet Leg are the pick of the bunch for me so far :D
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

DaveReading wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 7:47pm
simonineaston wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 6:21pmMacca played a blinder, apparently - bless 'im. Good to hear.

No, he didn't play a blinder by any means, but the crowd was 100% behind him and happy to ignore the fact that he can barely sing these days.

To be fair, I've read/heard a TON of positive reviews!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I watched the full Paul McCartney set last night on Iplayer.
Read that again…
Yes the full 129 minutes , no fast forwarding , skipping bits. It was good and the crowd thought so too. Thoroughly enjoyed it and very impressed with an 80 year olds performance.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

His voice has gone - and has been gone for ages - but it's Paul McCartney - headlining at 80, with a back-catalogue the like of which perhaps only 2 or 3 others might be able to compare. That's the thing.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

mattheus wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 8:45am
DaveReading wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 7:47pm

To be fair, I've read/heard a TON of positive reviews!
I think the reviews are more for the fact he's 80 and his catalogue.He talked a lot between songs and it was quite poignant especially before he sang the song/letter he wrote to John after his death.If he died tomorrow it would have been a good swansong just for the insight into his life.Getting Bruce and Dave Grohl on stage was also a masterstroke.He really should make that his last live show.

I also had the misfortune to see YUNGBLUD.
What a load of shhhhh.....He's trying to do the punk thing 40 years too late and failing miserably.He was quoted as saying he wanted to do a show Glastonbury would not forget.He probably has as the worst performance in the last 20 years.The kids like him apparently.Me I prefer real punk :roll:
PH

Post by PH »

This years full program can be seen here:
https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/ ... e-up-2022/

I was going to count the performances, but didn't bother when I saw there were 80 venues! I get it that some wouldn't like the crowds. or the facilities, or the price, or anything else that doesn't appeal, it's not for everyone. But I find it hard to imagine that anyone could look through the program and not find stuff they're at least curious about and a few things they'd really look forward to seeing. Part of the attraction is the planning what to see, there have to be compromises. Then when there, if something isn't living up to expectations, wandering off and finding something else, then there's the strolling entertainers and the impromptu performances and the unexpected that just happen. Then just abandoning the plan because you're engrossed in something else.
I think I've been to most of the other major UK festivals established last century, either working or as a punter, plus a fair few continental ones. Back then nothing rivaled Glastonbury for the sheer variety. In the 80's the Elephant Fayre in Cornwall was doing well, a bit like Glasto without the three main stages, but there were some clashes between travellers and organisers and also questions about where the charity money was going... it didn't survive. I don't know what the current festivals are like, I've just seen a list, there's so many I hadn't heard of.
millimole

Post by millimole »

al_yrpal wrote:
Dingdong wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 5:07pm . Who knows where any festivals profits really go despite the virtue signalling.

Al
I seem to recall seeing a comprehensive breakdown of the donations made by the Glastonbury organisation a few years ago. The Eavis family who run it insist that it's primarily a charitable event with Greenpeace and Oxfam being the main recipients. They also pay artists that appear well below the going rate as they expect the performers to 'buy into' the charitable ethos.
There's some info here : https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/ ... -benefits/
And here
https://www.nme.com/news/music/glastonb ... al-2439581

Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Yes McCartney usually charges £4m, apparently he did it for £200k. Lots of bands wont do it for peanuts because their expenses means its costing them money
After 2 years of no income it just leaves the big beasts, those who need the publicity and those on a swansong.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

I enjoyed a few of the acts, but we would not go. Looks too crowded and it looks like everyone stands, I’m too old to stand.
However, we are going to Cropredy, go every year, and we all sit
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PedallingSquares wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 10:33am I also had the misfortune to see YUNGBLUD.
What a load of shhhhh.....He's trying to do the punk thing 40 years too late and failing miserably.He was quoted as saying he wanted to do a show Glastonbury would not forget.He probably has as the worst performance in the last 20 years.The kids like him apparently.Me I prefer real punk :roll:
I saw that too. Not my sort of music, but I thought it was a remarkable performance.
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

The Mrs was binge watching it all. We enjoyed Sir Paul Macca, Pet Shop Boys, Diana Ross and that chap that sang something that went “looks like a beautiful day”. The Mrs and I also watched some chap named Olly something, but I got distracted by one of the dancers 😲