Glastonbury, you will not see me there.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Glastonbury, you will not see me there.

Post by Mike Sales »

Combines two things I hate.
Crowds and noise.
I expect there are plenty of cars too.
I was an old curmudgeon even when I was young.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 25 Jun 2022, 6:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
millimole

Re: Glastonbury, you will not see me there.

Post by millimole »

Mike Sales wrote:Combines two trhings I hate.
Crowds and noise.
I expect there are plenty of cars too.
I was an old curmudgeon even when I was young.
I took a Youth group to a festival many, many years ago. We had a blast, but once was plenty!

I enjoy watching Glastonbury on the box, and appreciate being exposed to styles of modern music that I'd normally avoid or be completely ignorant of.
But go there? I'd rather have cement dust in my chain on a wet day.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Any other forum members not going to Glastonbury?

Let's hear from you all !

:lol:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

DaveReading wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 6:24pm Any other forum members not going to Glastonbury?

Let's hear from you all !

:lol:
Might be quicker for those who are there to tell us about it.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

I hate crowds and noise but when it comes to.music you can turn it up to 11!!

Used to enjoy Glastonbury in the 90s when the likes of Radiohead were headlining but it has gone a bit too pop for my liking. Now Download on the other hand, Hell Yeah!!!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I would rather eat worms than go to Glasto - or any other commercial modern pop festival. Of all the many many things I hate, queuing, public toilets and other people figure prominently in the top five. There's no denying tho', that it's a hugely successful and important UK cultural phenominum.
There's a good whizz through the history available on iPlayer. I watched round a friend's house last week.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chris56 wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 6:59pm I hate crowds and noise but when it comes to.music you can turn it up to 11!!
I hate crowds and noise too, but when it comes to music, turn it DOWN.

Listen to it, hear it, but not fill your ears and head with it, but allow people to talk to each other without SHOUTING.
Mick F. Cornwall
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

Why would anybody ever want to talk to me anyway Mick!?!!
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Too much mainstream and pop. Prefer something different.
Volume - I've been places where music has been so loud I could not hear it, meaning I could not differentiate lyrics and any clever musical stuff, only able to recognise parts I was familiar with.

I stick to Youtube these days to introduce me to new styles and bands/singers.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 7:18pm
Chris56 wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 6:59pm I hate crowds and noise but when it comes to.music you can turn it up to 11!!
I hate crowds and noise too, but when it comes to music, turn it DOWN.

Listen to it, hear it, but not fill your ears and head with it, but allow people to talk to each other without SHOUTING.
The problem is that there's about six hundred and billionty-two people there so they do have to crank it up a little :D
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

tatanab wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 7:29pm
I stick to Youtube these days to introduce me to new styles and bands/singers.
+1 for that, especially if you are not into stuff thats mainstream. I really like Scandanivian Heavy Metal which you will never hear on BBC but there is loads on Youtube. Quite like Amazon Music too
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'm off to Copenhagen this Jan. to watch Laibach, in a theatre, in a nice comfy seat, surrounded (hopefully) by quiet, polite Danes. I'm fondly imagining too that the toilets will be immaculate, there will be no queues for anything I want, and best of all, the gig will be all over by ten o'clock so I can return to my nearby hotel in time for a nice mug of cocoa before I snuggle up under my double thickness duvet and potter off to the land of nod - oh yes!!
Now that's Rock&Roll...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Cycling as a hobby endures forever. Pop concerts? When young c 18 years onwards disco's ,lots of close friends parties ,bad food (alcohol? fags? and posting on the Cycling UK FORUM. As one gets older one gets more reflective. The latter are eliminated or cut down (or at least some of them).I would like to go to Glasto but insufficient toilets are a problem.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

tatanab wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 7:29pm Too much mainstream and pop.....
I agree. When I look at the performances I'd actually want to see then the cost is quite ludicrous.

Best festival(s) I used to do was the Summer Solstice @ Stonehenge every year. Free and some amazing bands (incl. one famous group who even then wanted to keep their hippy roots alive!). Amazing atmosphere (the Military Police didn't get in the way of anything) and no constraints regarding stuff not allowed to be raised on the forum.

Ian
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 7:50pm I'm off to Copenhagen this Jan. to watch Laibach, in a theatre, in a nice comfy seat, surrounded (hopefully) by quiet, polite Danes. I'm fondly imagining too that the toilets will be immaculate, there will be no queues for anything I want, and best of all, the gig will be all over by ten o'clock so I can return to my nearby hotel in time for a nice mug of cocoa before I snuggle up under my double thickness duvet and potter off to the land of nod - oh yes!!
Now that's Rock&Roll...
Not heard of them before but after a brief google search I am now intrigued. Looks like that will be a gig to remember. Hope you have a great trip