Glastonbury, you will not see me there.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
DevonDamo

Re: Glastonbury, you will not see me there.

Post by DevonDamo »

It's an annual pilgrimage for me and I've only just got home from this year's. As usual, I had no interest in most of the main stage acts, but I was continuously faced with an impossible choice of diverse entertainments and activities, some of which are cycling-related, e.g. chatting with the ageing hippies that set bikes up to be part of their pedal/solar powered music stage (the Mandala Stage.) It's a serious test of stamina, but if you can hack it, I genuinely can't think of a better way to spend a week.
pwa

Post by pwa »

DaveReading wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 7:47pm
simonineaston wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 6:21pmMacca played a blinder, apparently - bless 'im. Good to hear.
I'm guessing that you didn't see him and you're just quoting a review, then ?

No, he didn't play a blinder by any means, but the crowd was 100% behind him and happy to ignore the fact that he can barely sing these days.

But he had a good run through at his back catalogue, and for that alone he was well worth seeing.
I did see a few songs in his set and actually, though his voice has been a bit shaky for years, he sounded okay, especially if you allow for his age. And it was one huge sing-along oozing love, joy and fun. It made me smile. I saw him about 12 years ago and his voice was shaky then, but he could get through well enough for it not to matter too much. Even in his younger days, with the Beatles, it was never about the voice. The Beatles were ordinary voices singing, sometimes, truly great songs. And now he is a remarkably energetic 80-year old singing some great songs that were landmarks in our lives. With a shaky voice.
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

DevonDamo wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 9:24pm diverse entertainments and activities, some of which are cycling-related, e.g. chatting with the ageing hippies that set bikes up to be part of their pedal/solar powered music stage (the Mandala Stage.)
Theres a group of cyclists called the "Heavy Metal Truants" who do many rides for childrens charities, including an annual pilgrimmage to the Download Festival. Great group of people.
PH

Post by PH »

DevonDamo wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 9:24pm It's an annual pilgrimage for me and I've only just got home from this year's. As usual, I had no interest in most of the main stage acts, but I was continuously faced with an impossible choice of diverse entertainments and activities,
Sounds great, wish I'd been there.
Quick scan of the program and a look at the BBC coverage, none of the top ten things I'd have liked to have seen have been recorded. That isn't a criticism of the BBC, but no one will get much idea of what's on offer from the coverage.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Chris56 wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 9:40amTheres a group of cyclists called the "Heavy Metal Truants" who do many rides for childrens charities, including an annual pilgrimmage to the Download Festival. Great group of people.
Heavy metal cyclists - that's a niche I never thought I'd hear! Sound like a decent bunch. Glastonbury has a secure camping field reserved exclusively for cyclists in a prime location - i.e. as close to the main entrance as you can get, so no worries about threading your bike through the crowds across the seemingly endless campsites. It's got secure bike storage, showers and (in the years that I've done it) you get a load of vouchers to get cheaper meals from the traders on site. Not a bad incentive - especially when you consider that the rest of the public have to endure their festival without showers in their campsites.
PH wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 9:52amQuick scan of the program and a look at the BBC coverage, none of the top ten things I'd have liked to have seen have been recorded. That isn't a criticism of the BBC, but no one will get much idea of what's on offer from the coverage.
This is very true, and the thing that amazes me is that many of the people who actually have gone to Glastonbury have no idea of all the other stuff that's going on - they continuously trek back and forth with the crowds between the main stages to see the well-known bands, which is what the BBC coverage reflects. As you'll know, the only way to get an impression of the size of what's actually on offer is to look at the 'fine guide' which the festival publish about a month in advance each year. But I'd estimate that even this only contains only half of the actual acts playing as smaller stages (e.g. the 'tiny tea tent' or the various back-stage and crew bars) aren't listed: https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/ ... e-up-2022/

None of the stuff that I watched this year has made it onto the BBC. But that's probably a good thing. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Professor Marcus du Sautoy explaining how chaos theory is behind the variation in the Arctic Lemming population via an audience-participation game of musical chairs. But I doubt the Great British public would be so impressed...
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I don't mind noise & crowds, I've seen Elton John at Wembley stadium, but I wouldn't go to Glastonbury because I don't see enough acts that appeal, and the ones who do appeal are losing their voices. (Having said I don't mind noise, I wouldn't go as an oldie now because it would aggravate my tinnitus.)
PH wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 9:09pmit used to be possible to occupy every waking hour with something interesting without ever going near the two main stages
That reminds me of this.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 7:15pm Yes McCartney usually charges £4m, apparently he did it for £200k. Lots of bands wont do it for peanuts because their expenses means its costing them money
After 2 years of no income it just leaves the big beasts, those who need the publicity and those on a swansong.

Al
Is there also an element of where they get their income? When I was younger, concert tours were loss leaders to promote album (vinyl/CD) sales. They made their money from sales of physical discs. My understanding is these days the artists, even maybe record companies make very little money from streaming so live performance income becomes important.

Ian
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Live performance for most artists is THE only really significant source of income. There is a bit of PRS money and album sales but its not much. Just before Covid my daughter had a very good year, 20 countries, and had put a lot of money by for tax that fortunately wasnt needed for that purpose. This put her beyond any government handouts whatsoever. With a severely disabled child she couldnt do a steady job so she had to develop an alternative business to survive.
Right now gigs and festivals are stuttering back but if any of your band or crew develops Covid things can get cancelled meaning massive losses in airfares and other costs. Its a very precarious business.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

We were at Glastonbury as Oxfam stewards, have been to a good few festivals, but first time at this. We were gobsmacked at the size and the huge variety if stages and areas (over 70 stages). We were there 3 days before and it was great seeing it empty then fill up.
When it is busy there are areas that are rammed but always some that are quiet.
Had to tolerate Macca (ok performance in spite of his voice, but did way too many boring songs) and Diana Ross (awful) as my partner wanted to see them , but loads of other bands to see.
However because it is so big and takes a fair time to walk between stages ended up seeing less bands than we do at smaller festivals!
Good experience though.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

VinceLedge wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 10:54am However because it is so big and takes a fair time to walk between stages ended up seeing less bands than we do at smaller festivals!
Good experience though.
Golf-cart next time?
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

mattheus wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 11:42am
VinceLedge wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 10:54am However because it is so big and takes a fair time to walk between stages ended up seeing less bands than we do at smaller festivals!
Good experience though.
Golf-cart next time?
😀 or maybe a high power mobility scooter!