Lightweight sit up and beg bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Backinthesaddle

Lightweight sit up and beg bike

Post by Backinthesaddle »

Hi everyone,
I’m sure this has probably been asked before but this is my first post here. I am trying to get back into cycling after a layoff of about 10 years, a knee injury left me unable to cycle until it healed. I am keen to cycle to work, but I live in a rural area and would be travelling on main roads with a lot of tourist traffic. I have a road bike but really would prefer a sit up and beg, but as I live in an insanely hilly area, don’t much fancy a big heavy bike. I have looked online but just can’t seem to find a lightweight sit up and beg bike. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 😊
tomsumner49

Re: Lightweight sit up and beg bike

Post by tomsumner49 »

The islabike adult range are probably the lightest I've seen. Not particularly cheap though!

https://www.islabikes.co.uk/collections/icons
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Sounds like you want a hybrid bike.

Most of the big name so them.

Boardman and Ribble too.....

Look for carbon not suspension forks, disc brakes hydraulic if possible.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

Islabikes, as above, have an excellent reputation.

You've mentioned the hills: would you consider a bike with electrical assistance for those ascents?

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd agree about the hybrid although the term seems to cover range of styles.

There are dealers who sell good quality "sit up and beg" bikes which tend to be fully-specced Dutch roadsters, not necessarily ideal for hilly territory.

Bear in mind that some bikes without drop handlebars can still have a stretched out riding position.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Backinthesaddle wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 2:26am ............. I have a road bike but really would prefer a sit up and beg, .........
"How to get comfortable on a bike".....read my DIY bike fit piece linked below.
I'm guessing the road bike puts you too low and stretched out for comfort, or for good visibility in traffic.
A sit up and beg is likely to do the exact opposite; you can be too upright so you can't engage your glutes and quads effectively, or brace your lower back against the muscular work of pedalling.
there is a middle course!
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Straight handlebars on your roadie would effectively make it a sit up and beg bike. The bars and stem would set you back around £40 at the most. 'Trekking' bars would give you multiple hand positions. Brake levers and shifters another £60 or so if you shop around.
I did the same to my tourer. It was too upright for my liking and went back to drops.
You absolutely do not need carbon or hydraulic disc brakes.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

BITD, it was quite common to turn the drop handlebars on "sports" bikes upside-down. Although removing the derailleur and shortening the chain to work on one sprocket wouldn't help much with climbing
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

If you were to modify your existing bike remember that rear derailer pull ratios of road and MTB shifters were only common up until 9 speed. You could get away with a friction shifter for the front or there could be chainline difficulties with using an MTB front mech (I think).
Backinthesaddle

Post by Backinthesaddle »

Thank you all so much for your quick replies, I’ll look into all of your suggestions and let you know what I go for. 😊
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

My hack bike is a rockhopper with rigid surly forks and butterfly bars and incomes in with rack and guards at about 13 kilos and works well for me.
Just picked a dutch style ebike for my wife and it make the hills so easy.
I guess it depends on your budget and if you can access a cycle to work scheme.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

This question makes me wonder whether anyone sells “mildly crank-forward” bikes in the U.K.

Specialized (or is it someone else, Trek maybe?) I think have a range of them in the US, but I’ve never seen one here.

I’m not talking about “full on” crank-forwards, but the milder sort.
Orbit531C

Post by Orbit531C »

Appreciating this is a month after OP first posted,
but this lightweight upright bike listed on eBay
seems to be just what you are looking for (no connection to the seller):
Dutch Gazelle Lausanne X-tralite reynolds 531 frame/forks, with straight handlebars, which the seller says weighs 14kg with mudguards, large saddle, heavy duty rear rack & battery lights. Whats not to like!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225082001944 ... SwFudi1yiy
Attachments
2266C78F-2CF2-40BA-8F50-EA18744CF257.jpeg
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Look at Merida Speeder 100.
It might tick your boxes.

Mike
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

If I lived in an "insanely hilly area" I'd be looking at (insanely) low gears whatever the bike especially if I hadn't cycled for 10 years.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.