Why is everything I like discontinued or too big?!!!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Slothman

Why is everything I like discontinued or too big?!!!

Post by Slothman »

Just saying, I have been looking for a decent (preferably pre-owned) mens, medium hybrid bike with the following spec if at all possible.

Carbon frame or at least forks (I'm flexible on this TBH) - nothing heavy though
No front suspension
Quality gear set i.e. 105 or XT etc....must be able to get up hills well (subject to my own limitations of course)
Hydraulic disc brakes
Good looks
Nothing with an aggressive ride position

I found a cracking bike pre-owned, a Specialized Sirrus 'Expert' carbon. It ticked all the boxes above, in spades. But it was a large frame so too big for me at 5'8" with a 30-31" inside leg and approx. 55-56" arm reach. Nothing else around pre-owned or even new.

I found a pre-owned Giant 'Fast Road' Co-Max all carbon, again all the boxes but again a large frame!!!!

I discovered the Cannondale 'Quick' (Quick 1 disc being the better one) but again, all boxes ticked but nothing pre-owned and Cannondale went bump so nothing new. There was a carbon verson of the Quick 1 but again, a unicorn!

So knowing the above, and not wanting to spend stupid money on new unless it's heavily doiscpounted, what can you suggest?
A lot of the above are 'wants' not 'needs' but we want what we want eh!
531colin

Re: Why is everything I like discontinued or too big?!!!

Post by 531colin »

Image_DSC0673 by 531colin, on Flickr

Spa will built you a flat bar Elan........
Last edited by 531colin on 27 Jun 2022, 2:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Try Rutland Cycles. I was in there last week and they were discounting some very nice hybrids, notably ones from Whyte, which had good spec components.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

A quick stem change will change the riding position?
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

Jamesh wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 4:11pm A quick stem change will change the riding position?
So can a Large be made OK for someone who is typically a medium this way?
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

In my experience, when ever you have something that is really good and suits you, when it wears out/gets stolen or what ever, it has been upgraded or improved, and is in fact not as good as the original......
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

So, so true!

This is why I wasted hours, days even, sourcing a NOS 1970s hand drill. I eventually found one, pristine in its packaging, exactly like the one I’d damaged, on the very same day that I finally managed to fix the damaged one. So now, I have two!