Drivers overtaking too cautiously?!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
toontra

Drivers overtaking too cautiously?!

Post by toontra »

Spent a couple of weeks in the wonderful Angus glens with fantastic scenery and generally low traffic. I's cycled up there from London (as I do every year) without incident using all sorts of roads from dual carriageways to single-track lanes.

One thing that occured in rural Scotland that never happens on London - I'd hear a car approaching (and see it on my Garmin Varia) but it wouldn't overtake, even when the road was clear and there was plenty of space. It would hover somewhere close behind waiting for a clear view of several hundred yards of straight, flat road - far far longer that necessary to make a safe overtake.

This in turn would lead to other cars backing up and a queue forming. I would then have to pull over in a suitable space and wait for them to pass. One one occasion the offending car wouldn't pass even when I'd pulled over on clear road and I had to wave my arm to indicate what was required!

I actually get quite stressed when I get the sense I'm holding up cars, as those further back in the queue may well be getting irritable and more likely to make a close pass when they get to me.

Agreed the cautious overtaker isn't as big a problem as a close, fast overtaker, but it's a problem none the less. I can only assume these drivers are not confident of their driving ability or simply not used to seeing and overtaking cycles.
David2504

Re: Drivers overtaking too cautiously?!

Post by David2504 »

Happens fairly regularly around my home area too, South Lakeland. Most motorists are considerate and overtake when it’s safe giving me plenty of space. Some are over cautious as you describe, and very occasionally there will be someone who takes a risk.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I'm finding the failure to pass on wide clear road a bit frustrating on occasions. I'm on my bent trike, pull over being reasonable, now the left wheel bouncing around in all the debris and potholes close to the gutter. And because I'm "unusual" the driver hangs back, often straight clear road with plenty of room to pass a Range Rover ... but I'm stuck being shaken to bits in the gutter.

If they can't "get it right", I'd rather they be too cautions and I'll bounce around in the gutter - better than the other way round risking an accident where I'm bound to come off far worse than even the car's paintwork.

Ian
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I always give these extra cautious drivers a big wave of thanks, I wish there was more of them on the road.

had a clown tonight overtake me coming up to a blind bend and nearly went into the front of a logging truck. Hopefully they will join the extra cautious in the future.
toontra

Post by toontra »

Pebble wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 8:13pm I always give these extra cautious drivers a big wave of thanks, I wish there was more of them on the road.

had a clown tonight overtake me coming up to a blind bend and nearly went into the front of a logging truck. Hopefully they will join the extra cautious in the future.
Driving too cautiously is an instant fail on a driving test (as indeed would passing too close to a cyclist be). That should give us a clue as to whether it's an appropriate way to drive. It's like driving too slowly on a motorway - again a fail because it shows a lack of confidence and is potentially dangerous.

It's not a binary thing - neither are good.
Last edited by toontra on 27 Jun 2022, 8:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

toontra wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 8:41pm
Pebble wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 8:13pm I always give these extra cautious drivers a big wave of thanks, I wish there was more of them on the road.

Driving too cautiously is an instant fail on a driving test (as indeed would passing too close to a cyclist be). That should give us a clue as to whether it's an appropriate way to drive.

I don't think it's an instant fail, which are all related to causing danger to another road user aiui.
toontra

Post by toontra »

Bonefishblues wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 8:46pm

Driving too cautiously is an instant fail on a driving test (as indeed would passing too close to a cyclist be). That should give us a clue as to whether it's an appropriate way to drive.

I don't think it's an instant fail, which are all related to causing danger to another road user aiui.
If not an instant fail (depending on severity), each incident would count as a minor, and compounded would lead to a fail (see my edited post quoted).

I think it's a rural thing with some drivers being used to a lower volume of traffic.
Last edited by toontra on 27 Jun 2022, 8:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

toontra wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 8:51pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 8:46pm

If not an instant fail (depending on severity), each incident would count as a minor, and compounded would lead to a fail (see my edited post quoted).
Yes, that is correct.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Driving too cautiously is an instant fail on a driving test (as indeed would passing too close to a cyclist be). That should give us a clue as to whether it's an appropriate way to drive. It's like driving too slowly on a motorway - again a fail because it shows a lack of confidence and is potentially dangerous.

Without a shadow of doubt I know which one I prefer, and it's not the close pass.

An overly cautious driver has never went on to endanger me and I doubt they will ever knock me off.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's an embarrassingly long time since I passed my driving tests. I've just searched online and I cannot find a list of specific faults. IIRC, BITD it was called something like "failing to make progress." Can anybody point to current official info?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

It used to be called that, now it's 'undue hesitation' I believe.
toontra

Post by toontra »

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/lear ... test-fail/
You won’t get a minor for holding up the flow of traffic if you miss the chance once, or even twice. But be aware if you miss three opportunities to safely pull out then you will likely be issued with a major.
The drivers I'm referring to missed opportunities to overtake countless times - i.e. major fail

I'm talking about roads on which a tractor with trailer going at 15mph could pass safely :wink:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Pebble wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 9:04pm ....
An overly cautious driver has never went on to endanger me and I doubt they will ever knock me off.
I'm uncertain about that, maybe because I don't know enough about different drivers but a concern is that if they are not able to overtake when conditions are clear and safe then one must question their competence as a driver. Why are they so nervous?, do they have adequate control of their vehicle? (in which case why not overtake when clear and safe?).

Given a choice close pass vs excessive hanging back I'd prefer excessive hanging back but it does raise questions and concerns in my mind. I don't see it as a positive thing, just less negative.

Ian
toontra

Post by toontra »

Psamathe wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 9:17pmI don't see it as a positive thing, just less negative.
Indeed.

The reason overly-cautious driving is a test fail is that, although not immediately dangerous in itself, it can and does lead to other drivers taking undue risks. As I mentioned above, it worries me when there are a line of cars being held up behind me as that can lead to dangerous overtakes.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

toontra wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 9:10pm https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/lear ... test-fail/
You won’t get a minor for holding up the flow of traffic if you miss the chance once, or even twice. But be aware if you miss three opportunities to safely pull out then you will likely be issued with a major.
The drivers I'm referring to missed opportunities to overtake countless times - i.e. major fail

I'm talking about roads on which a tractor with trailer going at 15mph could pass safely :wink:
Yes, minors adding up to a major because a pattern emerges - but not an instant fail, which is why I piped up when you said it.