Visiting pages but not reading them

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
NATURAL ANKLING

Visiting pages but not reading them

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
As with most people on here probably you get a few pages behind and then you have to decide whether to read through them or skip to some of the later pages?

Unfortunately when you do visit a page via the last post read button, it naturally assumes you read full page when you haven't.
So when there's lots of pages I look at the top of the screen at the top of the page and I see how many pages I am behind.
Unfortunately every time you do this you jump is a page ahead.

Am I the only one doing this or not?
Is there any way we could make the system a little bit better, I mean could use software of some description which could work out whether you've read it All the way to the bottom of the page or not?

I realise there might not be an easy solution for this.

Sorry I've edited the page twice for additional wording.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Visiting pages but not reading them

Post by admin »

It's difficult to know what the human visitor has read, the server only really knows which pages have been requested.

It might be possible to write some JavaScript to measure how far down the page a visitor has scrolled, in terms of their screen size, and then work out which post was the last one displayed in full (assuming that the visitor has read everything displayed). For accuracy you might want to add some sort of timer, too: has the visitor had time to read the displayed posts?

But this isn't something we have a budget to write, sadly. We're basically using standard phpBB with as little customisation as possible.
thirdcrank

Re: Visiting pages but not reading them

Post by thirdcrank »

Software to identify who's reading what would catch me out I fear. I increasingly find that I don't read carefully and my mind makes assumptions about what's actually written.

I made such a mistake with this post. (Red face emoticon)

viewtopic.php?p=1704075#p1704075