Head says steel, heart says titanium

For discussions about bikes and equipment.

Which is more real?

Steel
63%
Titanium
37%

Total votes: 46

PH

Re: Head says steel, heart says titanium

Post by PH »

sussex cyclist wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 4:53pm Head won over heart today after quite a battle. I am at peace. Thanks again for the contributions to this thread.
I am surprised, though I'm not surprised by how often I'm surprised. Hope it's everything you hope it'll be.
PH

Post by PH »

jimlews wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 5:38pm
sussex cyclist wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 4:53pm Head won over heart today after quite a battle. I am at peace. Thanks again for the contributions to this thread.
Do let us know what you bought.
You weren't expecting that in a single post surely? It's worth at least three pages.
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

I surprised myself, if that’s possible.

Btw when I say “head won over heart” I mean my heart is now in it too, rather than being vanquished. Enough material for a good long post, just not today.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Bear in mind that track ends and rear rim brakes don't play together nicely. Track ends are parallel to the ground, not the rim, so the brake pads need checking and moving whenever you retension the chain.

Bikes with track ends usually have no rear brake or a rear disc brake (the latter is a faff too, but On-One do it).
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

PH wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 12:56pm
mig wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 11:23am what's the issue with making a front fork out of titanium? rarely, if ever seems to occur.
I think it's mostly a matter of cost/benefit, real or maybe perceived, as in adding a lot to the first without much to the second.
I think they're technically hard to get right, though not impossible, there's several options available, both OTP and custom. I had some from Enigma, though these were recalled and eventually they decided to refund rather than replace. So that bike had, ti, steel and carbon forks without anything else changing, I couldn't tell the difference.
EDIT - Burls used to offer ti forks, I don't know if they still do, I can't find them listed on their website. When I enquired abut a frameset some years ago, ti forks were three times the price of the steel equivalent.
My Brommie had Ti forks. I'm considering some custom Ti forks for a recumbent.
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

rogerzilla wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 7:55am Bear in mind that track ends and rear rim brakes don't play together nicely. Track ends are parallel to the ground, not the rim, so the brake pads need checking and moving whenever you retension the chain.

Bikes with track ends usually have no rear brake or a rear disc brake (the latter is a faff too, but On-One do it).
I'm OK on that score. My long-serving Langster is like that, as was my Enigma. For extra credit faff I even occasionally used mudguards.
PH

Post by PH »

UpWrong wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 8:12am
PH wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 12:56pm ...
I think it's mostly a matter of cost/benefit, real or maybe perceived, as in adding a lot to the first without much to the second....
My Brommie had Ti forks.
You must have liked them to be considering another set, in what way did you think it benefitted?
I'd consider Bromptons a special case, part of the advantage of lighter components is the reduced carrying weight.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
jb wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 11:09pm I'm heading in the Titanium direction because my steel frames seem to always rust badly under the top tube due to sweat. Some people are less corrosive so its horses for courses.
You could try washing it more often?
Or do you live in a high road salt area of the country north England/the coast?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mail@nickavery.com

Post by mail@nickavery.com »

Please flame me, but what is wrong with Aluminium?
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

mail@nickavery.com wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 3:24pm Please flame me, but what is wrong with Aluminium?
It's hot enough lately, but certainly no need for flaming. Alu is great, though there's the issue of fatigue, better articulated by others. More to the point for my purposes, I don't know of anybody making custom built bikes from it.
peetee

Post by peetee »

It’s not the material that counts it’s the way it’s used.
I have long been a fan of steel frames and know that the ride characteristics are directly related to and dictated by the geometry of the frame and diameter and gauge of the tubing.
My latest purchase is a Van Nicholas titanium frame with carbon forks. Rather a chunky-looking beast in comparison to my other bikes. The ride quality felt through saddle and bars is firmer than any of the steel frames I have owned so far. Not at all what is generally projected about titanium frames.
So what I’m trying to say is only you will know what’s right for you and only trying it will provide the answer.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

PH wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 11:16am
UpWrong wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 8:12am
PH wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 12:56pm ...
I think it's mostly a matter of cost/benefit, real or maybe perceived, as in adding a lot to the first without much to the second....
My Brommie had Ti forks.
You must have liked them to be considering another set, in what way did you think it benefitted?
I'd consider Bromptons a special case, part of the advantage of lighter components is the reduced carrying weight.
I'm commissioning some Ti forks for a Bacchetta Bella because Bacchetta are out of forks until 2023. Guess I could have commissioned steel forks but thought it worth the premium for something which is hopefully lighter and won't rust.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

UpWrong wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 11:36am
I'm commissioning some Ti forks for a Bacchetta Bella because Bacchetta are out of forks until 2023. Guess I could have commissioned steel forks but thought it worth the premium for something which is hopefully lighter and won't rust.
Have anyone's forks ever rusted away?
Both houses i have ever owned have had damp or worse garages. No rusted away forks yet.
Sweep
peetee

Post by peetee »

Sweep wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 5:11pm
UpWrong wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 11:36am
Have anyone's forks ever rusted away?
Both houses i have ever owned have had damp or worse garages. No rusted away forks yet.
I suspect a bike I had to deal with wasn’t far off. In trying to remove a reluctant stem from a lightly scabby but otherwise clean Carbolite 103 steel Peugeot I managed without too much effort to rotate the bars, stem steerer and fork crown without rotating the hub!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Come on what did you decide?

What model???