Where to go for a warmish Spring tour?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MrsHJ

Where to go for a warmish Spring tour?

Post by MrsHJ »

It occurs to me that given my trip to Italy this April May and my plans for Spain Cadiz/Seville to Gijon next April a spring cycle trip somewhere milder than the UK could be a regular start to the year.

So opening the floor up to ideas for March/April/May routes. Main requirement is that it is unlikely to require crampons or be so wet that trench foot is a risk.
Steve X

Re: Where to go for a warmish Spring tour?

Post by Steve X »

Morocco maybe?
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Steve X wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 8:27am Morocco maybe?
Hmmm, never been to Morocco. What sort of routes do people do?

Might fail my laziness test (ie me not having to work too hard at stuff). I suspect it’s one where I might want company for a first trip just due to not being familiar with it at all.
Last edited by MrsHJ on 29 Jun 2022, 5:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I guess I was idly thinking something like a southern tour of Sicily. I’ve seen another article about this one- apparently the route was funded by the eu in around 2013 and the signs are mostly still there but it hasn’t been maintained since then. https://italy-cycling-guide.info/cycle- ... ian-coast/

This is pretty nice thinking about somewhere warm in the springtime too. I was thinking about doing the whole coast in one go but breaking it into sections will probably be easier to savour. https://italy-cycling-guide.info/cycle- ... glia-tour/

Maybe something similar in Greece?. The Peloponnese? Thessaloniki to Athens? I have no idea what routes are around- I don’t mean totally organised and signposted ones, just this could be a good idea but you might be on your own for navigation type of routes.
borisface

Post by borisface »

I've done quite a few spring tours over the years. Greece or Crete would be my vote. The only thing to be aware of is that if you get high enough there might be snow and even at relatively low altitudes inland nights can be chilly. The Peloponnese is lovely, sadly my last trip got cancelled by COVID. I was also really struck with the bit north and east of Thessaloniki, however, it was a bit nippy at times.