Road tyres on gravel bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MrCJF

Re: Road tyres on gravel bike

Post by MrCJF »

I have the old ADV 8.8 that has the same spec. I couldn't get 30mm marathon winters on.the wheels and gave up. I've only used g-one all rounds since (35 or 38). I think folding tyres should be fine, the Marathons had wire beads
RickH

Post by RickH »

Most of the time I'm running 38mm, now long-discontinued, Vittoria Voyager Hypers on my bike (the Vittoria Terreno Dry TLR seems to be the nearest current equivalent, but the 38mm ones don't seem to be particularly widely available at the mo). I'm about 11.5-12 stone/73-76kg & I run them at 35psi front & 40psi rear, unless I'm running panniers in which case I'll put in up to 5psi extra. They have a supple 120tpi casing & minimal tread. They have limited puncture protection but I've not had a flat in over 2 years - I got a thorn in the rear riding off road in June 2020.

They don't feel "fast" because you lose that high pressure road buzz. But I use Strava to log my mileage and have found I am regularly equalling or beating times on segments, that I was completely unaware of while riding, that I had previously set PRs on my old road bike running 25mm or 28mm tyres. They are also big enough volume to handle 90+% of my off road riding - wet rock & slippy mud are really the only thing that makes things a bit sketchy - and have the added advantage that they make the cratered moonscape that passes for our road network much more comfortable to ride on.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
willcee

Post by willcee »

Personally I have no issues with whether Heine is right or wrong.... anyone who gets their kicks on 23's 25's or even 28's on the broken tarmac that many of us use to continue our collective love of riding a bike is seriously welcome to the unforgiving nature of that experience.. the 32's help with that situation and still provide that '' high pressure road buzz''.. In many cases it depends on the wheel rim , the wheel itself, and the amount of space between the frame stays.. my own chassis likes comfort and speed and i don't even give a nod to current fashion..w