Audax navigation

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Psamathe

Re: Audax navigation

Post by Psamathe »

Sweep wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 11:03am ...
On creating routes on the garmin, I only ever really do this up to a distance of 20 miles or 20km. I don't find it an issue in practice. In extremis, I usually have an idea of the way I need to go (can always do an osmanroute calculation offline) and can just get the garmin to calculate a series of hops between places I need to go through.
I assume you are using Android for OSMAnd. On iPhone (when I last tried which was some time ago but OSMAnd for iPhone was a stable release, been out for quite some time) trying to calculate routes of 60 miles just froze the app. You'd normally be OK splitting it into 2 30 mile routes so you have to decide your own half way point.

OSMAnd's web site has a FAQ or Knowledgebase article about this and how you need to split your route down so developer had long known about the issue but not fixing it.

For one month of a tour I relied entirely on routes created locally on the Garmin. Worked OK. Routes were good but not as good as cycle.travel. Occasional weirdso e.g. even with setup to allow ferry crossings the local Garmin route creation refused to recognise te Maassluis - Rozenburg ferry so I had to create two routes for that day - but not a massive issue.

Ian
nico36

Post by nico36 »

Sweep wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 10:42am
nico36 wrote: 2 Jul 2022, 9:44am The best navigation system I have used is a Garmin Dakota, it runs on AA batteries and has a slot for an SD Card so you can put in OSLandranger maps (on an SD Card) or any other maps you fancy.
You can pick them up on Ebay for around £80. I've used the Dakota in every condition and it has never let me down.
interesting, though have always been wary of touch-screen.
which model do you use?
there are several I think.
Have you ever used an etrex 20/30 series? - if so interested in any comparisons you might have.
Its just called the Garmin Dakota (its grey and orange) - it has a touch screen which locks out so you can wipe away rain. The big plus point are the batteries as long as you have a few AA's in your pocket you will not be running out of power an hour from home.
I haven't used the Etrex. The Dakota is pretty simple to use and the longer you have one the more features you will uncover. The slight downside is the display which is a bit small other than that its excellent.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

nico36 wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 1:58pm
nico36 wrote: 2 Jul 2022, 9:44am The best navigation system I have used is a Garmin Dakota, it runs on AA batteries and has a slot for an SD Card so you can put in OSLandranger maps (on an SD Card) or any other maps you fancy.
You can pick them up on Ebay for around £80. I've used the Dakota in every condition and it has never let me down.
which model do you use?
Have you ever used an etrex 20/30 series? - if so interested in any comparisons you might have.
Its just called the Garmin Dakota (its grey and orange) - it has a touch screen which locks out so you can wipe away rain. The big plus point are the batteries as long as you have a few AA's in your pocket you will not be running out of power an hour from home.
I haven't used the Etrex. The Dakota is pretty simple to use and the longer you have one the more features you will uncover. The slight downside is the display which is a bit small other than that its excellent.
thanks - will keep a look out.
I have the idea (may be wrong) that it uses the same mount as the Etrex 20/30 series.
Seem to recall I saw a Dakota on sale without a card slot for maps.
Does yours have one?
Sweep
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Last PBP I did I used an eTrex 30x (hated by many - I love mine) running off my hub dynamo via an eWerk & 1400 mAH buffer battery. This allowed me to forget about AA cells running out and keep the backlight on full time. It wasn't exactly neat, though:

Still got the same kit 7 years on, though through disuse the buffer battery has gone phut.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
nico36

Post by nico36 »

Sweep wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 2:02pm
nico36 wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 1:58pm
which model do you use?
I have the idea (may be wrong) that it uses the same mount as the Etrex 20/30 series.
Seem to recall I saw a Dakota on sale without a card slot for maps.
Does yours have one?
Yes mine has an SD card slot, it sits behind the two AA batteries. The mount costs around £6/7 and cable ties onto the handlebars.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Sweep wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 2:02pm interesting, though have always been wary of touch-screen.
Its just called the Garmin Dakota (its grey and orange) -
The Dakota has been dropped by Garmin, so it's eBay only now (probably). It may have morphed into the eTrex Touch 25/35, but that's also been dropped, as has the Oregon.
The general outdoor range is now eTrex 22x/32x, Montana 700, and GPSMap 64/65/66
All use the same cable-tie attached mount.
I use a 64, selected over an Oregon as I prefer buttons to touchscreen.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Audax67 wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 2:14pm Last PBP I did I used an eTrex 30x (hated by many - I love mine) running off my hub dynamo via an eWerk & 1400 mAH buffer battery. This allowed me to forget about AA cells running out and keep the backlight on full time. It wasn't exactly neat, though:

Still got the same kit 7 years on, though through disuse the buffer battery has gone phut.
Oh my - that is not neat is it?? (but I like your Cateye 2ry light - the same model I rode my first PBP with. Kids today, wouldn't believe it was possible ... etc ... etc ...)

Surprised you say this:
eTrex 30x (hated by many ...
Folks have long moaned about the cycle-specific Garmins*; but I don't see a lot of cyclists using the eTrex (and they're mainly Audaxers), and the feedback seems to be always positive.

*and yet loads still used them. And now the Wahoos are getting similar levels of criticism, but that's another thread perhaps ... :P ...