Which triple front derailleur

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
disherwood

Re: Which triple front derailleur

Post by disherwood »

Valbrona wrote: 4 Jul 2022, 6:25pm
NickJP wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 10:38am Our tandem is using a Campag Record 10-speed triple FD with 54-44-30 chainrings, and changes perfectly across that range of chainrings. We're using bar-end shifters, though, not integrated shifters, so we're not relying in any sort of indexing for the front shifting - I've always considered trying to use STI with triple chainrings as a total PITA. The FD is identical to this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/394130670887.
I liked using Record 10 because of the ability of the FD to cope with just a ten tooth jump from middle to outer, like with your 44/54.

Not sure quite how the OP manages to do his 42/52 combo without the inner cage of the FD striking the middle chainring.
Carefully lifting the FD 3503 ensures the FD just misses the middle ring...........i struggled to find first hand confirmation the FD 3503 had a recommendation minimum gap between the largest recommended chainring size of 50t and the middle ring of 11t.....I’ve seen retailers quote it but haven’t seen it listed on shimano documentation..................from experience and what your saying i see the benefit of having at least 11t....

I’d like to run at least 52 top ring possibly 54 or 55 but my Mrs gets nervous when going too fast so pushing such big gears isn’t happening.......50-39-30 for tootling with luggage will be fine