Towball-mounted bike carriers - how secure are they?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tangled Metal

Re: Towball-mounted bike carriers - how secure are they?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Must admit there's issues with all options. I had some mates lose a roof rack on the m6. It simply came off with 4 whitewater kayaks and paddles. Probably 3-4k value all told. And no weight limit wasn't exceeded and everything was attached as per instructions.

I've had the boot hanging rack issues where we had to stop to tighten it up every couple of hours or sooner. I've also had bar based bike carriers start to become loose mid trip. At the time those halfords carriers had a good writeup in comparison reviews so not cheap and nasty.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Reversing sensors can be an issue with third-party towbars. When we had our bar fitted, we were warned that we might get constant warnings that there was a towbar behind the car :roll: They couldn't be sure until they'd done the job :?

Fair enough that they explained it of course. It was fine.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

To answer the OP's question, they're perfectly secure. They're also quick and easy to use, taking up very little space when stored.

In the past we've used Witter's arms and post one (pretty much as good as the ball-clamping variety except that it could set up an oscillation over 75mph, so required a lashing to a roof bar at times - a result of an individual car's aerodynamics as much as a design fault) as well as a cantilevered platform type on which the bikes' wheels rest. This was very impressive to look at, but fiddly, cumbersome and took up a lot of space in contrast to what we use now.

It came to grief when loaned out to friends last year, being alloy wasn't easily repairable and replacement was needed fast. Gumtree saved the day with a £15 Halfords special (used once, the lady didn't like the way it worked), I still can't believe how good it is!
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

BuzzRack from the RoofBox company. Absolutely by far the best and easiest rack I've ever had. I've had a Thule roof rack, a Pendle trike rack and various other strap-on racks. This one is for a single heavy bike such as an ebike. At the time I bought this, they made a similar heavy duty double. My daughter has a triple bike rack, as shown in picture, also towbar clamped.

The downside for some people is there's a bit of self assembly needed, which is why they cost much less than Thule racks.

As others have pointed out, the car sensors probably won't work.

Just make sure the ball clamp, which is what takes the key, is screwed down really tightly before finally securing it with the side clamp.

The other important thing is, keep the ball clean and absolutely grease-free.

Cheers
Attachments
20210531_094232.jpg
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Jdsk wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 9:32pm We use the type that connects to the towbar, but not to the ball because there isn't one.

Described here:
viewtopic.php?p=1691719#p1691719

Would that be a possibility?

Jonathan
Nope, wrong type of towball. Current towbar is the Witter detachable flange type, which should suit my ZX88 bike carrier which I've used for many years but to detach the towball it swivels up - so the mounting plate would hit the car bumper! Nothing back yet from Witter as to whether they make an alternative mounting plate so looking for an alternative rack. My Saris Bones with its straps doesn't sit well with the back window and the fancy plastic bits tailgate of my current car .

The Thule one looks useful.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm a satisfied Thule customer with a garage full of different kit for different cars.

I've been particularly pleased with roofracks.co.uk although I don't remember any bad experiences with Thule or any of their stockists

I mentioned above researching towballs and suitable carriers. I was particularly impressed with the info at PF Jones, to the extent that I was on the point of trundling along the M62 to visit them when I discovered from their info that a towball was not available for the particular model so I never got to try the service.

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/bike-cycle-ca ... riers.html
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

thirdcrank wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 6:47pm I'm a satisfied Thule customer with a garage full of different kit for different cars.

I've been particularly pleased with roofracks.co.uk although I don't remember any bad experiences with Thule or any of their stockists

I mentioned above researching towballs and suitable carriers. I was particularly impressed with the info at PF Jones, to the extent that I was on the point of trundling along the M62 to visit them when I discovered from their info that a towball was not available for the particular model so I never got to try the service.

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/bike-cycle-ca ... riers.html
Thanks for that Thirdcrank, as per Richardfm's suggestion I'm leaning towards the Thule Express if I get nowhere with Witter. (The reason I chose their detachable flange towbar is, in part, that I can replace the ball itself if necessary for less than £20, unlike my previous Westfalia rig where the replacement would have been about £170!). Oh for the days when I could fit a fixed flange, non-detachable one - ironically I've found that if I leave the towball on the car the reversing sensors don't pick it up anyway, though that might not be the case if I add the bulk of the mounting plate to it ...!

One thing this forum needs, and which I have seen on several others, is a little icon that allows me to "Like" responses!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
jimster99

Post by jimster99 »

A towbar can haul a giant 1 or even 2+ tonne caravan to France and back without any problems (normally) so a 10kg bike + a piddling rack is like feeding it candy, in my view. I wouldn't worry about it for one second. Worry more about making sure the bike is securely attached to the rack... :)
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

jimster99 wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 12:08am A towbar can haul a giant 1 or even 2+ tonne caravan to France and back without any problems (normally) so a 10kg bike + a piddling rack is like feeding it candy, in my view. I wouldn't worry about it for one second. Worry more about making sure the bike is securely attached to the rack... :)
Most of the weight of the caravan is on its wheels, so one or two tonnes is irrelevant.
Tow balls are usually rated at up to about 100kg. Much more than a carrier and a couple of bikes though, so nothing to worry about.
Richard M
Cardiff
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The guidance I read said nose weight of 80kg, still less than even most 4 bike carriers. I think there are some rated higher though to use them you'd surely learn enough to make sure it's safe.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Some cars noseweight can be as low as 45Kg. When driving on the MWay it’s common to see some drivers think they know better than the manufacturers.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

We have a Decathlon own brand towball carrier. It is very secure, has done numerous trips to France at 80mph on their motorways without issue. No damage to towball. The first time I used it, I was surprised at how effective the towball attachment on the rack is.

It is my preferred method to transport bikes compared to higher bumper, tow bar flange mounted or roof mounted. Keeps the car more aero and fuel consumption down (assuming I can’t get the bikes in the boot/back!). If your car already has a towball, that’s most of your costs already covered.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

richardfm wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 11:14pm I have one of these
https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rack/t ... 2-_-970000
It's quick and easy to fit. I've never had any problems with it.
Same here.
My go to for local rides so I haven't used it much beyond 20 miles each way but it clamps on well and seems rock solid.

The towball copes (or coped) with a 2 ton caravan so I don't think a couple of bikes on a clamp will trouble it.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

rmurphy195 wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 9:25pm By "secure" in don't mean theft protection!

Anyone using the type that clamps onto the towball - whats to stop it swivelling a dropping the bike off? Or do they clamp so tightly that the load is secure even at motorway speeds?

And - does it damage the towball?

NB I'm not looking at spending hundreds of pounds!
I have a Thule for 1 bike, but I haven't used it much.
It can't swivel because the clamp also clamps around the neck/stem of the towball and not just the towball itself.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I've used a Thule Easybase fitted with mounts for three bikes. Never had any problems in over five years use. What I would say is discard the pathetic, so called spanner supplied with the rack and use a decent 19mm ring spanner to tighten the tow ball fitting. Perhaps that's just me though - I thoroughly dislike the so called tools frequently supplied with consumer goods requiring some sort of assembly.

As well as checking the maximum weight a cycle mount can carry it's also a good idea to check the vehicles designed nose weight for a tow bar. This is usually something between about 35 and 140kg . In other words if the weight of your three bikes and carrier is 45kg it's not a good idea to mount it on a car with 35kg maximum nose weight. It should give the nose weight somewhere on the vehicles VIN or spec plate.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker