Touring bike stand

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
wmydlarz

Touring bike stand

Post by wmydlarz »

Hello all,

I’ve reached the age where I think a stand might be a good idea for my bike.
Can anyone recommend what they think is the Rolls Royce of bicycle stands.
It’s to go on a touringish bike (surly troll) and would be useful to use it when loading panniers on etc so will need to be able to take a fairly hefty load.

There isn’t a dedicated mount anywhere on there for one to my knowledge.

Any insights would be mucho appreciated.

Cheers and happy pedalling
Bill
Jdsk

Re: Touring bike stand

Post by Jdsk »

There's a discussion from 2015:
"Stand for fully loaded bike : recommendations?":
viewtopic.php?p=900903&hilit=bike+stand#p900903

And much more recently there was something about the risk of damage to frames from stands that clamp on. That's worth reading.

Jonathan
531colin

Post by 531colin »

You might want to read what Surly themselves have to say on the subject.....https://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew/k ... l_truckers
Note the date, which explains why the piece was written about LHTs, but it applies to all their frames.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

There was a long and vigerous debate on prop stands here a while back, Brucey was definately a NO man.
You could try a click stand http://www.click-stand.com/ (my brouser says "not secure", it is basically a telescopic stick you rest under your top tube/seat tube joint when you want to park it).
Having a twin leg stand can be very helpful when loading a bike, also if you are camping and there is no where suitable to lean the bike over night. Laying the bike on the ground risks water running into some of the bearings if it rains.

I expect careful mounting (as Surly suggest) would work - one of those cases where you need a good mechanical feel as to what is right in terms of tightening up. I would suggest a twin leg stand is a better bet, such as pletscher like here: -
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... inch-700c/

NB. Note different wheel height/BB height criteria apply for various versions of the otherwise same stand.
The silver ones corrode like nothing else in winter road salt (2 weeks for ruination of the finish in 1 case), the black paint version probably provides some protection.
The pletscher one works with any gear system. Some of the wide Hebie stands I have known to foul the lower chain run (stand in the up position) with some derailleur set ups. Sometimes if your front gear mech has a low mount height (small chain rings) or is a top swing mech, the mech can interfere with getting an allen key into the clamping bolt (but does not interfere with the actual bolt itself when fitted). I work on bikes with top swing shimano mechs on 48t triples, I had to cut down an 8mm allen key to mount the stands.

Also usage. Be gentle in usage, When pulling the bike upwards on the stand, do it gently, a big tug will put a big bending moment/peak loading of the bike frame when it gets to end of its travel.
esasjl

Post by esasjl »

Not about stands, but if there is something to learn your bike against then using a loop of shock cord to keep the front brake applied is very useful in stabilising the bike, especially when loaded.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

esasjl wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 4:52pm Not about stands, but if there is something to learn your bike against then using a loop of shock cord to keep the front brake applied is very useful in stabilising the bike, especially when loaded.
Also useful when the bike's on a stand, at least a one-legged type.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Still using my rod rest...no brainer! Simple compact light cheap

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alyrpal/4555609668/

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
wmydlarz

Post by wmydlarz »

Thank you for the replies everyone! Much appreciated
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

PT1029 wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 11:25amalso if you are camping and there is no where suitable to lean the bike over night. Laying the bike on the ground risks water running into some of the bearings if it rains.
I generally use a length of spare guy line when camping, with a clove hitch round the seatpost.