Bike on train to Portsmouth

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ANTONISH

Bike on train to Portsmouth

Post by ANTONISH »

I live in the South East and the South eastern service has a very relaxed policy for bikes.
I'm thinking of getting the Portsmouth to St Malo ferry.
I would like to take a bike to Portsmouth possibly from London - I can get to London OK.
Alternatively I can get to Tonbridge by a local service and I'm not sure what else I can do.
About twenty years ago we rode to Lewis (partly on the A21 where I just avoided a left hook) and I think we got to Portsmouth via Brighton
Does anyone have any recent experience of doing this?
Nearholmer

Re: Bike on train to Portsmouth

Post by Nearholmer »

Last edited by Nearholmer on 3 Jul 2022, 7:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

South Western Trains to Portsmouth from Waterloo are ‘turn up and go’ with bikes outside peak hours, I’m pretty sure, but you might find the guard tells you to wait for the next train if several people with bikes are already on board and the train is very busy.

You can avoid going into London by travelling Tonbridge-Redhill-Guildford-Portsmouth, but I’m fairly sure that involves GWR, who like to complicated the lives of cyclists, for the Redhill-Guildford section.

Another route by rail is Ashford-Brighton-Portsmouth, but I have no idea what bike provision is like going that way.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Nearholmer wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 7:23pm Another route by rail is Ashford-Brighton-Portsmouth, but I have no idea what bike provision is like going that way.
I think they're still using 1970s class 313 "3PEP" for a few more months. Usually those don't have great bike spaces (wheelbenders if you are lucky) but no-one minds bikes propped up against walls or doors. The plan is for some sort of cascade to release more 387 Electrostars to the Coastway routes: Someone posted a picture of the (often unlabelled) bike space inside the red-striped doors at viewtopic.php?p=1413284#p1413284 but you can often prop bikes by other doors on those, too.

The current oddity with Ashford-Brighton-Portsmouth is it seems you need to change at Hampden Park (Sussex) to avoid waiting a long time at Hastings or Eastbourne (there's a footbridge between platforms, or the level crossing just by the station); and sometimes another change is needed at Havant. Travel time a bit under 4 hours.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Did this a couple of weeks ago (see taking bikes on UK train thread).

I used trains from Waterloo to Portsmouth and vv. Booked tickets on Trainline as much cheaper. No bike booking and 2 or 3 bike areas on each train. Bikes just lean and can then be fastened with their velcro strap. Only me on my one on way down and shared with a Brompton for last half on way back.

Note, you want Portsmouth and Southsea station not the Harbour.

Edit: Be careful if taking any knives etc on the ferry. I was questioned and one of my panniers scanned. Some debate about what happens if anything found, but just a warning.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I think they're still using 1970s class 313 "3PEP" for a few more months
From Ashford to Hastings the train is diesel (no juice). The trains are only two cars, and in my limited experience, very busy, although covid may have changed that. I’ve not tried it with a bike, but it didn’t look at all ‘bike friendly’.

I pine for the days when me and my bike regularly retuned from long rides in the guards vans of nice, old-fashioned sorts of trains!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Nearholmer wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 9:30pm
I think they're still using 1970s class 313 "3PEP" for a few more months
From Ashford to Hastings the train is diesel (no juice). The trains are only two cars, and in my limited experience, very busy, although covid may have changed that. I’ve not tried it with a bike, but it didn’t look at all ‘bike friendly’.
Oh yes. Class 171 Turbostar. I don't think I know how those are fitted out. Their 170 siblings have 2 (crosscountry interior) to 4 (Anglia interior) bike spaces near the large toilet.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

simonhill wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 7:58pm Did this a couple of weeks ago (see taking bikes on UK train thread).

I used trains from Waterloo to Portsmouth and vv. Booked tickets on Trainline as much cheaper. No bike booking and 2 or 3 bike areas on each train. Bikes just lean and can then be fastened with their velcro strap. Only me on my one on way down and shared with a Brompton for last half on way back.

Note, you want Portsmouth and Southsea station not the Harbour.

Edit: Be careful if taking any knives etc on the ferry. I was questioned and one of my panniers scanned. Some debate about what happens if anything found, but just a warning.
That seems promising - I can get to Waterloo OK
Interesting about the knives - my partner and I both had Opinels when we travelled on Eurostar last Thursday (non cycling holiday basically a train TDF)
At security we had to transfer any metal objects into our bags - bags went through the scanner with no problem.
At Dover security with our touring bikes we have been asked about knives - just said we didn't have them - we did but a knife is one of those useful tools that I like to have when touring.
I believe an Opinel is considered a lock knife - I don't know why that would make it more dangerous than a pen knife of similar size.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ANTONISH wrote: 4 Jul 2022, 9:18am I believe an Opinel is considered a lock knife - I don't know why that would make it more dangerous than a pen knife of similar size.
Not done any knife fights, eh? You can stab through thicker hides(or clothes) and turn a locking knife in a wound more without risking it folding on your fingers.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Agree with previous comments. I live in Winchester and have used this route since 2007. In my view the best and easiest of the train companies for bikes.
Note, you want Portsmouth and Southsea station not the Harbour
I prefer the Harbour myself. No better start to a tour than exiting the Station and seeing the sea. The route to the port might be a little longer although I haven't measured it and you don't have to cross any traffic as you are turning left all the way to the port.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I had a similar bag search. When I asked the security staff what they did about all the caravans with fully-equipped kitchens being towed aboard I got blank looks.

It's a bit of pointless security theatre.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

dit: Be careful if taking any knives etc on the ferry. I was questioned and one of my panniers scanned. Some debate about what happens if anything found, but just a warning.
Can recommend Felicity Cloake's One More Croissant for the Road which details her experience with a cheese knife in her pannier at Portsmouth. There is indeed a plastic tube with various offensive weapons in it.

I always hope I will get away with my Swiss army knife if challenged!! I think a lockable blade is a real problem.

No such checks when I started in 2007, then mirrors under cars before the so called checks were introduced. I always thought it was a bit of window dressing. A cyclist's pannier is so much easier to check than say the boot of a car or indeed a caravan.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I’ve regularly taken my bike on these trains. You shouldn’t have any issues but for extra peace of mind it’s worth boarding early at Waterloo so you get the prime spot for your bike. Boarding midway always runs the risk of bikes/luggage/pushchairs taking the space, or the train formation meaning you’re at the front when the bike spaces are at the rear
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

mjr wrote: 4 Jul 2022, 10:15am
ANTONISH wrote: 4 Jul 2022, 9:18am I believe an Opinel is considered a lock knife - I don't know why that would make it more dangerous than a pen knife of similar size.
Not done any knife fights, eh? You can stab through thicker hides(or clothes) and turn a locking knife in a wound more without risking it folding on your fingers.
Thanks for the advice - I hope I never need to take it :wink:

I fact thanks to everyone for the advice - the plan is to do a ride from Brest to Dieppe that had to be abandoned in the lockdown.
I can book a bike space on ter from St Malo to Brest using the SNCF site - oddly enough Trainline refers me to the train operator for booking bike space when I use their site which I've normally found very good when I use it.